Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fish Camp, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, the app/nav does show the location as unavailable now.

8E48B0BF-90CB-4FBA-85A7-314A11158F72.jpeg

Tenaya lodge is reopening on the 10th of February, we’ll see if this is turned back on prior to or around then. I’m planning to head to Yostemite sometime this month and was going to one night at Tenays, most likely will take our 4x4 and not the Tesla, but always like driving through the valley running silent.

Tenaya lodge is reopening on the 10th of February, we’ll see if this is turned back on prior to or around then. I’m planning to head to Yostemite sometime this month and was going to one night at Tenays, most likely will take our 4x4 and not the Tesla, but always like driving through the valley running silent.
Yosemite's southern entrance (the one close to Fish Camp) won't open until the 11th. Makes sense for the lodge not to open until the day prior.

https://twitter.com/YosemiteNPS/status/1358146464875216897?s=20

View attachment 888984
SC has been down since at least Dec 23. Lots of sad Teslas here during our stay over the holiday. All parked optimistically in this photo, or out of habit 😂 The valet said it was a PG&E issue and that Tesla has been out repeatedly over the weeks to try to fix.
I saw this in the app a couple days ago and wondered what was going on. Interesting.

As I recall there are one or two level two chargers in the lot there, but I imagine they’re probably hot commodities with the superchargers dead.

Good news is driving down to the Oakhurst chargers if you’re in a pinch will actually net you a kWh or two in regen.

I saw this in the app a couple days ago and wondered what was going on. Interesting.

As I recall there are one or two level two chargers in the lot there, but I imagine they’re probably hot commodities with the superchargers dead.

Good news is driving down to the Oakhurst chargers if you’re in a pinch will actually net you a kWh or two in regen.
Yes. There are two L2 chargers a few hundred feet away and a couple of more at the Explorer cabins. The downhill drive to Oakhurst is easy - you could almost get there on empty. Going into Yosemite Valley is harder though. Sure would be nice if the Wawona Hotel and General Store was there for backup along with the rest stop at Glacier Pt Rd.

Going into Yosemite Valley is harder though. Sure would be nice if the Wawona Hotel and General Store was there for backup along with the rest stop at Glacier Pt Rd.
A few years ago I wrote a letter to the Yosemite Park Superintendent requesting that L2 chargers be installed in the valley and at Tuolumne Meadows. I did receive a very nice reply along the lines of “we want to do that but are limited by the available infrastructure”.

The Fish Camp Supercharger has also had down periods in the past.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
My wife is a County Supervisor in Mariposa County, and she has been getting frequent reports of Teslas navigating to The Mariposa Grove in Yosemite being sent up White Chief Mountain Road which turns into Star Lake Road, a non-maintained Forest Service dirt road where they get lost as it does not connect to the Mariposa Grove.

We have documented this behavior that arises if one tells the nav system, “Navigate to Mariposa Grove”, or “Navigate to Mariposa Grove, Yosemite National Park”, from the Oakhurst area, or other areas west of Yosemite. While the nav system starts by directing you correctly up Highway 41, unfortunately drivers are then directed to turn onto White Chief Mountain Road in Fish Camp, instead of continuing on Highway 41 to the Park entrance and then to the Mariposa Grove parking lot.

White Chief Mountain Road in Fish Camp starts as a narrow, paved road that leads through several clusters of cabins, but then turns into a non-maintained Forest Service dirt road where the cars ultimately get lost and can and have gotten nasty with the locals that try and help them out.

When one searches on Mariposa Grove in Google Maps, one sees several choices including “Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias” and “Mariposa Grove Welcome Plaza” where the parking area is located. Telling the car’s nav system to Navigate to “Mariposa Grove Welcome Plaza” or “Mariposa Grove Parking” takes one correctly up Highway 41 to the Park entrance and then to the parking lot where one can catch a shuttle bus to the Grove itself. BTW, if you navigate in Google Maps to “Mariposa Grove” it gets it more or less right, while the car does not.

My wife has passed this information to Tesla with examples of how the car’s nav system and Google Maps differ in their routing as she is continuing to get reports that Teslas are getting lost on White Chief Mountain Road on a regular basis. This is a cause of frustration for both the drivers and the locals that try and help them out. Hopefully Tesla can fix this.

In the meantime, if you are going to Mariposa Grove in Yosemite in a Tesla, remember to navigate to “Mariposa Grove Welcome Plaza” and save yourself some time and hassle, and if you do get lost, don’t blame the locals!

BTW, if you navigate in Google Maps to “Mariposa Grove” it gets it more or less right, while the car does not.
Thank you for your post and for your wife’s communication with Tesla.

I thought that the car just used Google Maps when it was online; if it is offline it uses the onboard maps database and I can’t recall if that is from Google or from some other source.

When I enter “Mariposa Grove, Yosemite National Park” into the Tesla app navigation function it shows a route that finishes on Forest Service Road 5S06 from Star Lake Road off of Hwy 41 in Fish Camp. Obviously that is wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: DoItDiff