Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fort Worth, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an aside, I drove by what has been said by more than one source to be the upcoming Fort Worth Tesla service center location, at University and Bristol (northeast corner) and there has been no further construction activity since late last year. Could be Tesla is waiting for Tarrant County base of vehicles to reach a tipping point before proceeding with finish-out....just speculation on my part at this point.
Well, there are a huge number of Teslas in Tarrant County -- they're just in NE Tarrant, not FW. (and Dallas & Plano Service Centers are closer than the supposed FW location). ;)

Looks like repairs or improvements are underway at Whitmore at long last. The fried autotransformers are beneath the blue tarp at the far end of the lot.

Nice to see headway here. No signs of change at rumored service center location at Bristol & University. Now that the Fort Worth Tesla store at Shops at Clearfork is closed, the Bristol locale going online would be a good place for those who really do need to sit in and/or test drive a car before buying could go.

Attachments

• IMG_2821.JPG
    IMG_2821.JPG
    788.5 KB · Views: 233
Looks like repairs or improvements are underway at Whitmore at long last. The fried autotransformers are beneath the blue tarp at the far end of the lot.
I think there's still a long way to go before things actually get rebuilt here. Here's the comments re: the potential cause of the failure and rebuilding from the Fort Worth inspector after a visit on March 8th:
Mr. Cordova and Mr. Kirkpatrick: Thank you for the information. I am reaching out to you to address the following based upon a site visit on March 8, 2019 and speaking to Mr. Kirkpatrick and the electrician who were very helpful. I am requesting the following information:
  • Please send me all photos of as built conditions and post fire conditions.
  • Under the Fort Worth Administrative Code section 104.9 and 104.9.1 (2015 IBC also), used materials and devices shall not be reused unless approved by the Building Official. citation page 13.
  • The following are from the 2017 National Electrical Code NFPA 70:
  • The engineers report is based upon information provided to them. As such, the report does not appear to be sufficient for purpose of establishing what caused the event and that another event will not reoccur.
  • Based upon my observations, the QED switchgear has not been installed in compliance with Article 110.3(B), 110.11, 110.12(B), and 110.14(D). There are gaps in the 3 sections in the top and missing gaskets that appear to have let water or deteriorating agents inside the gear. This was not noted in the report from the engineers, please forward to me if there is a report noting these.
  • A forensic report will be required to establish what happened and any changes necessary to avert it from reoccurring, it would be from a third party such as Shermco or similar. We can discuss the company and their credentials/certifications when you make a choice.
  • Article 110.24. There is no Available Fault Current calculation markings.
  • Article 110.28, “Enclosures ….shall be marked with an enclosure-type number as shown in T110.28”. I have not been able to find a marking in compliance with this article on the NLTC auto transformers, charging cabinets, or vehicle charging posts.
  • Article 230.66, replacement of any parts in the QED switchgear will require a field evaluation from a NRTL or FEB and substantiation that they may be replaced in the field as this is now considered a modification.
  • Article 230.95, There does not appear to be marking for GFPE or a written record available as required that this test has been done. Is there a report that this was done? If so, please send it.
  • Article 240.21(C), there does not appear to be protection on the secondary side of the auto transformers for equipment connected to the load side.
  • Article 250.53(G), the engineered plans call for an 8 foot ground rod. The ground rod installed at the gear and the charging cabinets, if 8 feet in length does not have the required 8 feet in contact with the earth because the grounding electrode conductor connection is above grade.
  • Article 250.70, ground rod clamps cannot have more than one conductor under the clamp. All of the ground rods at the charging cabinets and QED gear have more than one grounding electrode conductor installed under one clamp.
  • Article 450.22, dry type transformers outdoors require a weatherproof enclosure.
  • Article 110.3(B), need manufacturers installation instructions or listed and labeled certification report that the conductors may be installed in the upper portion of the auto transformers and not subject to damage from the heat that will rise in these transformer enclosures. These are some of the observations but not a complete list and subject to filed inspections to identify any other issues that may need to be addressed. Please let me know if you have questions or need to discuss.
Of particular import for the timeline to return the station to service is the requirement for a forensic investigation and report by an independent 3rd party to establish the cause and any needed modifications before any rebuilding is done.

[Above quoted comments can be found in the inspection report comments of Fort Worth umbrella electrical permit # PE19-02420]

Last edited:
These superchargers being down for months is sad. I've been charging at the supercharger at the eSports stadium and that's like a 20 Mile drive for me...what an inconvenience.

I think that these urban chargers should be up in the next week or two....it seems to be ready. Just needs an inspection.

• Funny
Reactions: TexasDuke
These superchargers being down for months is sad. I've been charging at the supercharger at the eSports stadium and that's like a 20 Mile drive for me...what an inconvenience.

I think that these urban chargers should be up in the next week or two....it seems to be ready. Just needs an inspection.
Just be thankful you don't live in North Dakota.

Drove down from St Louis for a race in Mineral Wells this weekend. Booked a hotel close to this charger with no idea it was down. All public J1772 chargers in this area are broken and no destination chargers near. Was lucky to find a charger in apartment garage that they let me use. What is going on in this town?