Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Groveland, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charged here this evening, could only get around 80 kW maximum. Outside temperature was about 50s? I drove from east side to west side of Tioga Road (raced to beat the sunset), then parked somewhere to eat for about 45 minutes, then went to charge vehicle. It is the cold battery? Switched to another set of stalls, too. I charged at a few other ones along 395 route and got maximum speed.

Has anyone gotten charging status updates while charging in Groveland? A few weeks ago, just after a PSPS event, we stopped twice and both times we never received updates or alerts nor could we communicate with our car.

I am curious if this was just a particular case perhaps because of the prior PSPS event or it this place just dead from a Tesla standpoint?

Has anyone gotten charging status updates while charging in Groveland? A few weeks ago, just after a PSPS event, we stopped twice and both times we never received updates or alerts nor could we communicate with our car.

I am curious if this was just a particular case perhaps because of the prior PSPS event or it this place just dead from a Tesla standpoint?

Cell phone reception in Groveland is very spotty. I have not been there recently enough to test the reception at the SuperCharger site, but I suspect it's in a bit of a hole.

Reactions: Ulmo
Sounds like it's spotty at best. I forgot to state my phone is on Verizon and I could get access to the internet all over town but the car being on AT&T could not be reached. I suspect this is why I did not get any notices about my charging nor could communicate with the car.

The first day we were there I saw a lot of people coming back to their car and I suspected this might be the issue so the next day I set my charging to 100% and when I returned an hour later we were at 98% so it's a good thing I had done that.

It would not be fair for Tesla to charge people an overage fee if they cannot get notices.

Reactions: Ulmo
Sounds like it's spotty at best. I forgot to state my phone is on Verizon and I could get access to the internet all over town but the car being on AT&T could not be reached. I suspect this is why I did not get any notices about my charging nor could communicate with the car.

The first day we were there I saw a lot of people coming back to their car and I suspected this might be the issue so the next day I set my charging to 100% and when I returned an hour later we were at 98% so it's a good thing I had done that.

It would not be fair for Tesla to charge people an overage fee if they cannot get notices.
I ran into that in various SuperChargers, I think including Groveland: I had perfect reception with T-Mobile on their newer or older bands or Verizon, but since the car was on crappy AT&T, I didn't get any notices. As you can tell, I had two devices, so I just wifi'd the car to a hotspot on one that was working well enough, and it worked. That was only a problem at a few SuperChargers, but it did come up. I wish Tesla would break down and just put a hotspot in that SuperCharger site for the cars when their corporately selected cell carrier can't make the cut. (I really don't care if they put in a cell repeater or a wifi hotspot; all the same, as long as their cars would be programmed to connect to them when the driver hadn't selected their own wifi. It almost seems easier to put in a cell carrier repeater given that car software issue.) Maybe Starlink can help Tesla install internetworking to all their out of the way SuperCharger sites.

Reactions: aesculus
Turns out the SC was fully functional. I met a Y owner who also saw the temp closure on the Nav screen, but charging worked fine at full power.
Communications is definitely iffy in that place. Not sure what Tesla uses.

I have been there with my cell phone having good reception but not able to see the state of the cars charging. Others having the same issue as they would keep coming back to their car to check on the status.

Communications is definitely iffy in that place. Not sure what Tesla uses.

I have been there with my cell phone having good reception but not able to see the state of the cars charging. Others having the same issue as they would keep coming back to their car to check on the status.
They use at&t just like the cars do. But yeah, cell service is bad in Groveland. Most business there have WIFI (for paying customers) though.

They use at&t just like the cars do. But yeah, cell service is bad in Groveland. Most business there have WIFI (for paying customers) though.

Not sure how this Supercharger could use AT&T with no cell signal. I know I have no Teslafi data from charging here to/from Yosemite, as the car had no cell connection.

I do somewhat recall my wife maybe having a weak AT&T signal at the Mexican place a block away, while I had no T-mobile signal at all?

I was just planning a trip to Yosemite tomorrow (2/9/2022), and the Tesla nav indicates Groveland SC "Temporary Closure". Anyone know anything about this? And/or know of sources from Tesla (or other) for updates/plans on this? Just want to know for planning purposes on availability for charging (or not). Thanks.