Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger growth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Listening to the recent press conference, I heard Musk say that they size the Supercharger Network to handle peak demand. The reporter had specifically aeked if Tesla sized the network 1 charger per 1000 cars sold. Musk's response suggested that managing capacity so that there is zero wait time was the key objective. In this way the software upgrade to guide drivers to superchargers not in use is part of the solution to that problem. We had discussed that many months ago on this thread. It is nice to see the information infrastructure that optimizes the charging infrastructure come into place. This software enables greater performance per commitment of physical resources.

Oh, yes, and publicity for the software upgrade is publicity for the SC Network.

given elon's history of mega hyperbole that inevitably ends up disappointing to some ppl (and with good reason), i wouldn't bother assuming 2015 will indeed double the SpC.

that said, the current pace of expansion is absolutely incredible, and the biggest thing that makes tesla the only ev worth considering. at its price point.

If you look at Supercharger.Info on the charts page, the count world-wide was 64 at the end of 2013 and 333 at the end of 2014.

Right, that's what I used. It was as 323 on Dec. 28, 2014, but I see now 333 on Dec. 30. The chart is a little fussy to query, especially on a tablet.

So I guess the target for the end year is 666. I'm hoping we can just round up to 700.

Tesla's Letter to shareholders, 2014, states that there were 380 energised superchargers at the end of 2014.

Super.PNG

"Now" in the letter is not necessarily the end of 2014, even though it is in the same sentence with Q4.

I agree that Tesla is often ambiguous, but this statement is from the part of the letter that talks about 2014 achievements, so I am leaning towards understanding the statement as referring to 2014, not some day in 2015. In the end, it does not really matter that much, as long as the numbers grow.:smile:

SC.PNG

Letter

If you look at Supercharger.Info on the charts page, the count world-wide was 64 at the end of 2013 and 333 at the end of 2014.

If you assume supercharge.info is close to correct then I think 33 SC's came online in January 2015 and over 20 in February. That means a lot less than 380 at the end of 2015.

I would agree with Cottonwood that the number for the end of 2014 we should use is 333 not 380. Given the rate so far this year and with warmer weather coming doubling the number of superchargers this year will not be easy but certainly doable.
There were only 3 superchargers brought on line in March of 2014 and 20 so far this month so that is a good sign.

I would agree with Cottonwood that the number for the end of 2014 we should use is 333 not 380. Given the rate so far this year and with warmer weather coming doubling the number of superchargers this year will not be easy but certainly doable.
There were only 3 superchargers brought on line in March of 2014 and 20 so far this month so that is a good sign.

I find it difficult to accept that Tesla would put incorrect information in their letter to shareholders. If that is the case, then any other piece of information in the letter is subject to doubt.

I agree that Tesla is often ambiguous, but this statement is from the part of the letter that talks about 2014 achievements, so I am leaning towards understanding the statement as referring to 2014, not some day in 2015. In the end, it does not really matter that much, as long as the numbers grow.:smile:

View attachment 75563

Letter
Well, just to check the ambiguity of this. Consider that by Dec. 31, 2013, there were just 64 Supercharger locations. So a 400% increase would be just 320, which is closer to 333 than 380.

Tesla often reports non-financial information which is current to the date of the shareholder letter release as opposed to the end of the previous quarter.

The date of the letter is 11.2.2015. If we assume that the letter writer referred to the number of energized superchargers on 11.2.2015 rather than 31.12.2014, the 380 number still do not align with the data in supercharger.info.

Going forward, I will be paying a bit more attention to the numbers in the letters.

The date of the letter is 11.2.2015. If we assume that the letter writer referred to the number of energized superchargers on 11.2.2015 rather than 31.12.2014, the 380 number still do not align with the data in supercharger.info.

Going forward, I will be paying a bit more attention to the numbers in the letters.

Supercharge.Info has the count at 377 on Feb 11, 2015. That seems pretty close to me. Supercharge.Info and Tesla are often off by a few counts. Supercharge.Info counts Superchargers at some Service Centers that Tesla does not count, and there are a few "two sides of the highway" sites that Tesla used to count as one, now counts as two, while Supercharge.Info consistently has counted them as one.

Last edited: