Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gustine, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@henryp,
I stopped by on 11/26 at around 5pm as I was driving a bit more spirited between Dublin and Harris Ranch so I just wanted to add 20-30 miles as an extra buffer just in case. I rolled in at 46% and left at 56% within the span of 6 minutes. Here's a chart showing my kW and battery percentage for each minute I was plugged in:

upload_2016-11-29_15-2-2.png

It seemed to perform as expected to me. Looking at my Harris Ranch chart, it seems to be similar when looking at the same battery percentage range.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
On the way back to Northern-Northern California (You know, where the water comes from haha!), we had a late dinner at Harris Ranch and charged up, only to have the kids need a bathroom break at this stop only 30 minutes down the road, so I took advantage of topping off here and noticed I was only getting 60kw when the battery was around 70% with no other cars around. Is that a normal or are the chargers limited since they are new? BTW, trying to supercharge at any location in LA (Family Disneyland trip) was not successful, I'd be more than willing to pay a little for charging while so far away from home for the convenience. Charging on the I5 was awesome, seemed like plenty of chargers at Harris Ranch and Manteca. Disneyland hotel only had 110v and it took 48 hours to get me a charge to get back to Tejon Ranch, but I was thankful to have it since supercharging was not available. I look forward to the new paying customers to hopefully expand the supercharging network even further. I didn't have the patience to wait in line to supercharge and just moved on.

On the way back to Northern-Northern California (You know, where the water comes from haha!), we had a late dinner at Harris Ranch and charged up, only to have the kids need a bathroom break at this stop only 30 minutes down the road, so I took advantage of topping off here and noticed I was only getting 60kw when the battery was around 70% with no other cars around. Is that a normal or are the chargers limited since they are new? BTW, trying to supercharge at any location in LA (Family Disneyland trip) was not successful, I'd be more than willing to pay a little for charging while so far away from home for the convenience. Charging on the I5 was awesome, seemed like plenty of chargers at Harris Ranch and Manteca. Disneyland hotel only had 110v and it took 48 hours to get me a charge to get back to Tejon Ranch, but I was thankful to have it since supercharging was not available. I look forward to the new paying customers to hopefully expand the supercharging network even further. I didn't have the patience to wait in line to supercharge and just moved on.
Yes, seems normal. :)

Off topic but, with the new Santa Ana and Buena Park superchargers, your future Disneyland trips can be a little less worrisome for finding a place to charge. I would recommend writing to Disney to add destination charging at the hotel, though. They have 64 ChargePoint chargers at the Mickey & Friends parking structure (for theme park visitors), but they probably should add more specifically at the hotel for overnight guests.

Reactions: Blup85
Used the Gustine charger last night. Pulled into 1A and was getting no power for nearly five minutes -- the car would go up to abour 4kW and then drop back down immediately, and my phone said I was getting voltage but zero amps. Moved to 3B and got the same thing. Moved to 4A and got the same thing. Decided to go eat dinner and hope for the best, and after about seven minutes of watching the app, it finally jumped up to charging levels.

Weird, but hey, it worked and I wasn't stranded, and the pea soup wasn't bad.

Used the Gustine charger last night. Pulled into 1A and was getting no power for nearly five minutes -- the car would go up to abour 4kW and then drop back down immediately, and my phone said I was getting voltage but zero amps. Moved to 3B and got the same thing. Moved to 4A and got the same thing. Decided to go eat dinner and hope for the best, and after about seven minutes of watching the app, it finally jumped up to charging levels.
What battery percentage level and or remaining range did you have when you first plugged in to that Supercharger?

How many miles had you driven to get to that location?

What battery percentage level and or remaining range did you have when you first plugged in to that Supercharger? How many miles had you driven to get to that location?

I left Oakland with 39%, stopped in Dublin for a few minutes to get a boost to make it to Gustine with 3%. Right around 100 miles, all highway 55-75 mph. Outside temp was around 45 degrees (F).

It's the only time I've seen a supercharger act this way and I use them *a lot* (my July S70 has almost 12,000 miles). The fact that it happened at every stall, and didn't happen at neither Dublin nor my destination (the Doubletree in Fresno, which has Tesla chargers), pointed to the site being an issue as opposed to something wrong with the car.

I've supercharged twice since it happened on Monday (once in Fresno, once in Manteca) and have not experienced it again.

Reactions: Ulmo
I left Oakland with 39%, stopped in Dublin for a few minutes to get a boost to make it to Gustine with 3%. Right around 100 miles, all highway 55-75 mph. Outside temp was around 45 degrees (F).

It's the only time I've seen a supercharger act this way and I use them *a lot* (my July S70 has almost 12,000 miles). The fact that it happened at every stall, and didn't happen at neither Dublin nor my destination (the Doubletree in Fresno, which has Tesla chargers), pointed to the site being an issue as opposed to something wrong with the car.

I've supercharged twice since it happened on Monday (once in Fresno, once in Manteca) and have not experienced it again.

check out this thread - someone else that plugged in with less than 5% at SC had to wait for a trickle charge before the supercharge started: Low Battery Supercharging - 0 Kw and 90 minute charge time

make it to Gustine with 3%
I believe you saw that very slow initial charging rate in all stalls because your battery was very low and air temps were cool.
It's the only time I've seen a supercharger act this way and I use them *a lot*
How often to you arrive at a Supercharger with your battery at 3%?

Note: if this turns into an extended discussion of charge rates at very low SOC that's okay but I will split the discussion into a new thread.

Twice I have arrived at a supercharger with 3 and 8 miles respectively and never experienced a reduced charging rate. Don't remember exact details but temps were about 50F and 80F respectively and both times was up over 100kW almost immediately.