Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hannibal, MO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting note. Ameren has now installed some ccs/chademo chargers along 61 that now makes a trip to Iowa along that route possible (see PlugShare) If you have a chademo adapter, that route is now feasible until a better solution like superchargers open up.

Can anyone recommend what part is needed for this (and the best price)? I googled and saw Tesla's website offering one for $450...is that how much these things cost?!

Can anyone recommend what part is needed for this (and the best price)? I googled and saw Tesla's website offering one for $450...is that how much these things cost?!
Yes, you can buy a CHAdeMO adapter for $450 and use it at public CHAdeMO charging stations. I think they are limited to 50 kW so they will probably be a lot slower than a typical Supercharger. If there are CHAdeMO charging stations on your route and no Superchargers, then it's an alternative.

Hopefully Tesla will come out with a CCS adapter in the US in the future to allow owners to use public CCS charging stations as well.

Yes, you can buy a CHAdeMO adapter for $450 and use it at public CHAdeMO charging stations. I think they are limited to 50 kW so they will probably be a lot slower than a typical Supercharger. If there are CHAdeMO charging stations on your route and no Superchargers, then it's an alternative.

Hopefully Tesla will come out with a CCS adapter in the US in the future to allow owners to use public CCS charging stations as well.
CCS adapter? Would be nice. There are several barriers to producing this currently. Some folks in Korea are working on it.

Dc combo for usa port

Yes, you can buy a CHAdeMO adapter for $450 and use it at public CHAdeMO charging stations. I think they are limited to 50 kW so they will probably be a lot slower than a typical Supercharger.

It's been a couple years since I was at a CHAdeMO station, but if its a constant 50 kW, that's faster than the 40 kW I get at Superchargers after the chargegate/throttlegate mods Tesla made!

Here is a CHAdeMO charge from a couple of weeks ago from Sullivan, MO. Seems to maintain 42 - 49kW up till around 70% battery level. Then the charging power decreases per battery level. This charge was from 15% - 84% over 45 min in an M3 SR+. Cost $11 for the charge. Not my prefered way to regularly charge if road tripping hard, but faster than Level 1 or 2 charging when in need. Sullivan is an Electrify America site.
upload_2020-9-30_11-29-18.png

• Informative
Reactions: tstolze and PLUS EV
A new Chademo charger is already built but unsure if turned on in Ottumwa, this will give us some possibility in the SE quadrant of Iowa at least making St. Louis a much easier trip from the north. A Quincy supercharger will be nice but this fills in some gap.

I made the drive from Cedar Rapids Iowa to downtown St Louis this weekend in my M3 LR. I left the house with full charge 295 miles of range. I stopped in Coralville super charger and topped it off to full charge again. Passing the Casey's in Hannibal I could not see signs of a charger in construction. I drove pretty conservatively until I was within 100 miles and I made it to St Charles super charger with 5% battery. That is just too close for comfort for me. The weather was in the 80's I would never attempt this in the winter. We really need this charger to make this drive comfortable. Please Tesla get this done before winter!

I made the drive from Cedar Rapids Iowa to downtown St Louis this weekend in my M3 LR. I left the house with full charge 295 miles of range. I stopped in Coralville super charger and topped it off to full charge again. Passing the Casey's in Hannibal I could not see signs of a charger in construction. I drove pretty conservatively until I was within 100 miles and I made it to St Charles super charger with 5% battery. That is just too close for comfort for me. The weather was in the 80's I would never attempt this in the winter. We really need this charger to make this drive comfortable. Please Tesla get this done before winter!

I agree we need this. I am making the drive next week from St. Charles to Iowa City to pick up my daughter from college. I have a SR+ so I cannot make it. I will be stopping for an hour at Wakonda State park for an hour charge at an RV hookup. Not ideal. Thanks for checking on the construction.

This charger is desperately needed. I was really hoping that it would be up and running by the holidays this year. I have LR RWD so I can make my trip even in the winter (I've done it probably 10x below 40 degrees), but the Hannibal charger would completely eliminate any doubts.

There are is a chargepoint L2 J1772 at the Ayerco in Bowling Green right off Hwy 61. Stopgap measure to top off heading north or add a little more for comfort heading south.
That is good to know. I have searched the route for any type of charger and that hasn't come up in any apps I have looked at. How many miles of range per hour does it typically charge at?

Depending on what part of the St. Louis area you are going to, the detour through Davenport and Springfield may not be that bad. It's about an hour longer if you're going to St. Louis proper, but actually even less than that because you won't have to charge to 100% anywhere which is very time consuming. If you're actually trying to go to St. Charles though, it's about 2 hours longer.