Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Honolulu, HI - Kahala Resort (12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's right up there with the New York City valet Superchargers. W 75th Street, for example, is $35 entry fee for earlybird parking (least expensive option). It goes up from there, with the minimum daytime fee being $39 for 30 minutes and $49 for an hour in the evening. Kahala at least offers validation if you spend money inside - like enjoying lunch while you charge.

This certainly isn't going to serve the charging needs of the general public. However, it does support travelers who are looking for a boutique experience. Tesla rentals are very popular, and this gives people a chance to recharge and explore the resort instead of waiting for hours at the other Supercharger.
Price of paradise! Hawaii has always been an expensive place to live so this doesn't surprise me. 😆 And yes, this will support tourists more (although locals like to have dinner/brunch/holo holo there too) which means that they WON'T be using the Pearlridge charger.

You can’t. It’s a different garage/level of the garage. Only accessible to valets. It has been posted previously in this thread.
Just saying, the app changed from Valet to Valet AND pay to park (level 2) so why would they change it? Maybe someone takes the up, who knows but just going by what the app says. Guess will have to go there to try it instead of going off what people are saying who haven't even used it yet. lol

Just saying, the app changed from Valet to Valet AND pay to park (level 2) so why would they change it? Maybe someone takes the up, who knows but just going by what the app says. Guess will have to go there to try it instead of going off what people are saying who haven't even used it yet. lol

I suspect they're just clarifying that it's valet service and you have to pay. Pretty standard arrangement for a valet, but perhaps they want to be extra clear up front so people aren't surprised and upset.

The supercharger is in an area only valet are allowed to go. The bottom level is self park but does not connect to the upper valet area. Today's pic of parking rated.

Good luck getting valet to plug in right away so you can pay for only 20min. Don't forget the tip!

Attachments

• IMG_9958.jpeg
    IMG_9958.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: nanimac
The hotel used to have two Level 2 chargers in the basement parking level that were energy charge-free, but within the self-parking area so normal parking fees applied. I used them whenever I would go to events or dinner at the hotel. (I believe they were on the now defunct Semaconnect network). Someone I trust told me they recently changed to OpConnect and are now charging for charging.

It could be those are the ones that Tesla is referring to regarding self-parking.

I stand by my earlier post that the hotel installed these as part of a long-term plan to have a tesla fleet available for hotel guests/concierge services. It's the only thing that makes business sense. No one is going to pay $0.50+/kwh to charge on top of validation/valet fees and the hotel is not going to invest in developing the infrastructure (even with tax incentives to do so) in such a way without a business reason.

Slightly off-topic, but I drove through the Pearlridge Macy's parking structure on Friday March 1st. No sign whatsoever of any construction pending or planned.

I stand by my earlier post that the hotel installed these as part of a long-term plan to have a tesla fleet available for hotel guests/concierge services. It's the only thing that makes business sense. No one is going to pay $0.50+/kwh to charge on top of validation/valet fees and the hotel is not going to invest in developing the infrastructure (even with tax incentives to do so) in such a way without a business reason.

I'll be surprised if the hotel gets into the fleet rental business. I expect quite a few people will pay $0.50/kWh plus parking fees. Pearlridge's daytime rate is $0.64 per kWh. This isn't the first example of Superchargers with high parking/valet fees. I don't expect this station to be heavily trafficked like Pearlridge, but it will see its share of use.

As for investing in developing the infrastructure - I'm 99% sure that Tesla footed the bill for the equipment, the construction and the new electrical service. The hotel's contribution to this project are the parking spaces, just like the majority of other Supercharger locations out there.

I'll be surprised if the hotel gets into the fleet rental business. I expect quite a few people will pay $0.50/kWh plus parking fees. Pearlridge's daytime rate is $0.64 per kWh. This isn't the first example of Superchargers with high parking/valet fees. I don't expect this station to be heavily trafficked like Pearlridge, but it will see its share of use.

As for investing in developing the infrastructure - I'm 99% sure that Tesla footed the bill for the equipment, the construction and the new electrical service. The hotel's contribution to this project are the parking spaces, just like the majority of other Supercharger locations out there.
I look on the app occasionally and have yet to see a stall occupied!

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
The hotel used to have two Level 2 chargers in the basement parking level that were energy charge-free, but within the self-parking area so normal parking fees applied. I used them whenever I would go to events or dinner at the hotel. (I believe they were on the now defunct Semaconnect network). Someone I trust told me they recently changed to OpConnect and are now charging for charging.

It could be those are the ones that Tesla is referring to regarding self-parking.

Slightly off-topic, but I drove through the Pearlridge Macy's parking structure on Friday March 1st. No sign whatsoever of any construction pending or planned.
I don’t hunk Tesla has referred to any chargers here being self parking. App says valet and pay to park. I think someone else was suggesting you could self park at the superchargers because the main parking garage offers self parking and therefore the superchargers are self parking. This is flawed logic and has been proven false because the superchargers aren’t even in the self parking area.

If that's correct, surely the hotel's benefit should be the increased foot traffic and related business, just like the majority of other Supercharger locations. It's funny (and seemingly always a hotel) when the sites try to over-think it and end up messing the whole thing up. The Stanley Hotel in Colorado tried to charge people to supercharge and it caused chaos and they changed their mind - they still get PLENTY of business from the foot traffic from folks who supercharge there. If Kahala's actual business plan is to support their own fleet, then it would want to be a pretty huge fleet purchase for Tesla to justify footing the bill for providing it practically exclusive supercharger access. A friend has 6 Teslas on Turo, maybe he can call Tesla and ask them to build him a free supercharger in his front yard.

Reactions: Big Earl
The Kahala markets itself as a high-end, luxury property, like Four Seasons, whose clientele would desire exclusive airport transfer/ shuttle services and vehicle rentals from a concierge desk instead of from rental car companies. $0.51/kwh for energy plus parking is a lot for local residents, especially at an inconvenient location like the Kahala hotel. My theory is Tesla may have provided discounts for the SC equipment in return for a commitment to purchase 10-12 vehicles.

[...] I stand by my earlier post that the hotel installed these as part of a long-term plan to have a tesla fleet available for hotel guests/concierge services. It's the only thing that makes business sense. No one is going to pay $0.50+/kwh to charge on top of validation/valet fees and the hotel is not going to invest in developing the infrastructure (even with tax incentives to do so) in such a way without a business reason.
[....] If Kahala's actual business plan is to support their own fleet, then it would want to be a pretty huge fleet purchase for Tesla to justify footing the bill for providing it practically exclusive supercharger access. A friend has 6 Teslas on Turo, maybe he can call Tesla and ask them to build him a free supercharger in his front yard.
In a few places, Tesla has installed Superchargers that are in restricted space for themselves - in service centers, at the Gigafactories, ... but I'm not aware of Tesla providing Superchargers for any third party's benefit (this rule possibly bent in Europe/Netherlands for an early nosecone Model S taxi service). If the hotel was going to build a Tesla fleet, their chargers would be destination/HPWC and owned by them, installed by them and private or public at their discretion. Even Larry Ellison's Tesla fleet on Lanai have public Urban chargers (and public HPWC as well).

In a few places, Tesla has installed Superchargers that are in restricted space for themselves - in service centers, at the Gigafactories, ... but I'm not aware of Tesla providing Superchargers for any third party's benefit (this rule possibly bent in Europe/Netherlands for an early nosecone Model S taxi service). If the hotel was going to build a Tesla fleet, their chargers would be destination/HPWC and owned by them, installed by them and private or public at their discretion. Even Larry Ellison's Tesla fleet on Lanai have public Urban chargers (and public HPWC as well).
Yep this is a good point - actually the situations where a supercharger would beat a level 2 charger would be fairly rare I would think for hotel guests on the island. You will always be at 100% in the morning and you’re not doing laps of the island every day so you’re never going to run out of charge. If they have a fleet of a dozen teslas, they just need to give them parking stalls with level 2 chargers, the added bonus is once you get back to the hotel and park, you don’t have to mess around with the car anymore getting it back from the supercharger.

Reactions: treldib
If the Kahala hotel was going to rent Teslas, they would need a couple hundred in order to justify a 12 stall 250 kW supercharging station. They don't have the demand or parking for that kind of infrastructure. Maybe 4 urban 72kW chargers and/or a bunch of level 2's. The reason a Supercharger was put there was because it was easy and fast to get permitted.

I believe this was not thought through by creating a valet only paywall in order to charge your car, in a not so convenient location. The reason for no idle charges is due to the fact that you have no control over the charging process so you should not be responsible for fees for leaving it plugged in.

The island desperately needs level 3 charging infrastructure as evidenced by the long lines at the pearl city charger. if you look at the Google reviews, they all rate that charger 1 star due to its slow speed and extremely long lines. Most people cannot afford a home where they can easily install their own charger.

I believe there is a battle to put in level 3 charging with both the government permitting process, as well as the power companies demands, and the fact that location/parking/land is so expensive to allocate for charging. because of this Hawaii will continue to fall far behind other states in this important infrastructure.