Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Honolulu, HI - Kahala Resort (12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the Kahala hotel was going to rent Teslas, they would need a couple hundred in order to justify a 12 stall 250 kW supercharging station. They don't have the demand or parking for that kind of infrastructure. Maybe 4 urban 72kW chargers and/or a bunch of level 2's. The reason a Supercharger was put there was because it was easy and fast to get permitted.

I believe this was not thought through by creating a valet only paywall in order to charge your car, in a not so convenient location. The reason for no idle charges is due to the fact that you have no control over the charging process so you should not be responsible for fees for leaving it plugged in.

The island desperately needs level 3 charging infrastructure as evidenced by the long lines at the pearl city charger. if you look at the Google reviews, they all rate that charger 1 star due to its slow speed and extremely long lines. Most people cannot afford a home where they can easily install their own charger.

I believe there is a battle to put in level 3 charging with both the government permitting process, as well as the power companies demands, and the fact that location/parking/land is so expensive to allocate for charging. because of this Hawaii will continue to fall far behind other states in this important infrastructure.
The hotel could have offered the valet garage either due to more space or maybe even closer to power. There are many possible reasons other than them trying to make money off of it.

The hotel could have offered the valet garage either due to more space or maybe even closer to power. There are many possible reasons other than them trying to make money off of it.
Hopefully that's true, and they stop trying to make money from it. I guess if Tesla footed the bill, then all of us who ultimately paid for it (Tesla's customers) will just have to patiently wait for them to figure out this current idea makes little sense, and to then open it up as a public charger. 12 stalls w/ 250kW would bring a lot of foot traffic to the hotel's services that otherwise wouldn't be there. A lot of people who charge at big hotels end up going inside and spending money.

Hopefully that's true, and they stop trying to make money from it. I guess if Tesla footed the bill, then all of us who ultimately paid for it (Tesla's customers) will just have to patiently wait for them to figure out this current idea makes little sense, and to then open it up as a public charger. 12 stalls w/ 250kW would bring a lot of foot traffic to the hotel's services that otherwise wouldn't be there. A lot of people who charge at big hotels end up going inside and spending money.
If they spend money, the valet parking is free so nothing needs to change. That system is already in place.

If they spend money, the valet parking is free so nothing needs to change. That system is already in place.
Sure, in a way. I guess I was thinking the "this time I'll go grab dinner because I have some free time" and then next time "I'll go grab a drink while I wait" and the next time "I'm in a hurry and will not go inside today" should be a reasonable expectation for them - not to mention the increase in patronage from people who simply discover the hotel/restaurant because of the charger, and end up as repeat customers regardless of charging.

"Spend $25 inside to avoid $50 outside" and dealing with a valet is just going to end up with the <checks app right now> "12/12 available stalls" forever and a waste of all this effort, in a place that desperately needs more supercharging capacity.

This is just a sad situation. And now to see the Supercharger in Aiea is down to 4/6 chargers... Eek. Why would Tesla allow this placement of a supercharger? Whats the logic?
Because land is expensive and this is the only place that would work out a lease with them.

Sure, in a way. I guess I was thinking the "this time I'll go grab dinner because I have some free time" and then next time "I'll go grab a drink while I wait" and the next time "I'm in a hurry and will not go inside today" should be a reasonable expectation for them - not to mention the increase in patronage from people who simply discover the hotel/restaurant because of the charger, and end up as repeat customers regardless of charging.

"Spend $25 inside to avoid $50 outside" and dealing with a valet is just going to end up with the <checks app right now> "12/12 available stalls" forever and a waste of all this effort, in a place that desperately needs more supercharging capacity.
Since it is in the valet garage, it will likely not change to public access unless they switch the access to the garages (don’t know if this is even feasible).

Reactions: Big Earl
It’s actually getting some use in a Saturday night.

IMG_9111.jpeg

Reactions: treldib
The app has now updated to reflect the cost @ $6/20min. @lensovet the FAQ link is helpful, but the FAQ is at fault for not being clear too. You posted the first question "How much is Parking" but skipped the next FAQ about electric charging specifically (which is the section people wanting to charge are probably reading), the full FAQ reads as follows:

"How much is parking?"
For Hotel Guests: Valet or self-parking is available for $50.00 per day.
For visitors, fees are $6 per every 20 minutes for invalidated tickets and $60 for lost tickets.
Our patrons will receive 4 hours complimentary parking with minimum $50 purchase.

"Do you have electric vehicle charging stations"
Valet parking now includes Tesla Superchargers. Guest Services will park and charge your Tesla, while dining or shopping at the resort, complimentary valet with a minimum $50 spend receipt. Separate Tesla charging fees will apply. <then info about Blink charging too>

"while dining or shopping" doesn't immediately seem to obviously mean "as a hotel guest", it reads as if it's talking to non-guests and so the omission of the $6 rate and the mention of "valet" and "$50" is pretty awkward of them. Nevertheless, it seems like they're going to valet your car for 20min to supercharge it for $6, which is still ridiculous, just a lot less ridiculous than $50.

Huh? The valet is complimentary if you spend $50 at the resort. For non-guests. The charging question literally does not introduce any new or contradictory information compared to the question before it.
I think the question is whether you can valet for $6 in 20 minute intervals. Most charging stops would be 30 minutes or less so $12. Some people won’t want to spend $50 to save $12. But if they only option is a flat $50 to valet regardless of length of parking, that changes things.

Huh? The valet is complimentary if you spend $50 at the resort. For non-guests. The charging question literally does not introduce any new or contradictory information compared to the question before it.
Hopefully you're in a majority for whom this pricing is straightforward, but it seems like there is a lot of confusion - and the fact we disagree on this suggests to me that the FAQ is not clear. Perhaps people reading the first answer will get it quicker, as you did - but if I'm going there to charge my EV, I'm reading the EV charging question, I'm not going there 'to park'.

Regardless I'm honestly still not even sure at this point whether they valet your car for $6 for a 20min charging session (or you can drive yourself to the stall for $6), but it does seem like they do valet it. For 20min. Which even if free would be ridiculous at a supercharger. If I have to deal with valet nonsense just to charge (something I pay Tesla for already), even if free, I'm never doing it, and avoiding the resort. If I can go and charge my car at the supercharger when I want to without any hassle or weird fees, I might spend money at the resort. I guess it's just down to how many locals are in the same situation. The Aiea supercharger being a "pack your lunch and watch a movie" experience might be the only thing going for the Kahala SC right now.