Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Independence, MO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evtripplanner shows 263 RM from the Independence SC to the future S. Charles SC but it is only 214 miles. Over 6000 ft of elevation increase and decrease. Only a few hundred feet net delta but it seems to kill the range. Does this make sense? Is the hwy that undulating? I never noticed that in my ICE.

Evtripplanner shows 263 RM from the Independence SC to the future S. Charles SC but it is only 214 miles. Over 6000 ft of elevation increase and decrease. Only a few hundred feet net delta but it seems to kill the range. Does this make sense? Is the hwy that undulating? I never noticed that in my ICE.

I put in an 85 on 19's and got 242 rated miles. Ups and downs don't cost that much. I think the bigger issue is the average speed of 69 mph. When I reduce the speed multiplier to 0.95, the average speed drops to 66 mph and energy to 229 rated miles. 0.9 takes the numbers to 62 mph and 216 RM.

What is obvious is that a Supercharger somewhere near Columbia, MO will be necessary for this to be a reasonable Supercharger route, having quick charging, and allowing quick driving in all weather, not to mention 60's.

I noticed that the supercharger is showing up as active today on the tesla web site, so I guess it is now officially open. Looks like we just beat it by a day while the contractors I saw were finishing up the wood paneling that covers the cabinets.

I should have typed the st Charles address in the Nav system while I was sitting at the independence supercharger to see how much energy use the tesla predicts for the route. I will try to do that one of these days when I am in the area.

If overnighting in Columbia is not convenient, the other option is to briefly stop at the Nissan dealer in Columbia MO which has L2 plugs (or at an RV camp around there) and get 20-30 miles of buffer to get to St Charles without worrying.

I stopped by the Independence supercharger today and, although the I couldn't charge because the spots were occupied by an electrician setting up some street lights on top of the supercharger, I was able to type in the address of the future St Charles charger to see what the trip computer would say. See picture.

ca7536a75fccea5dbb86fc0e12ce72a2.jpg

I got there with 89% battery capacity and the trip screen shows me 5% short from reaching the St Charles supercharger. Further confirmation that it can be done with a full charge and careful driving. It was 54 degrees out.

So on 5-9 at 8:00am there was a Pick up truck parked in one of the spots- It wasn't even time for Bass Pro to be open- There was a plant sale in the parking lot, but there were plenty of spots still open- Not sure why the owner chose to park there- When she returned, she quickly drove off before I could make even eye contact with her. This supercharger is far enough away from the Bass Pro entrance, I was rather surprised to see any one but Tesla parked there- It's really well located- far away from the entrance and sort of by itself. I'm going to assume this was an isolated case and not the norm. The public really needs to be educated about EV parking and charging. These are our remote "gas stations"

When I charged there a month ago or so (2 times), there was a pickup parked across from the Tesla stalls, with people in it. I don't know what they were doing and it made me a little nervous, but there were no problems. Maybe some folks driving ICE pickups like to park off and away from the store in a smaller lot.

I was also there on Saturday morning during that plant sale... quite a few cars drove through that small lot with the superchargers to check it out (I guess). At least two stopped to take pictures. There was no ice'ing however - but one other Tesla charging.

Finished up our trip from Denver to Vermont and back yesterday. We ran the longish segment between St. Louis and Kansas City both ways, no problems (although we cheated and stayed at a nice hotel in Columbia Home that had a destination charger going out). Coming back, we did 60mph for about 10 miles until the energy at destination came up to 20%, then speed limit the rest of the way. We arrived with 43 miles rated remaining. That section, along with Buffalo SC coming on line at the last possible moment, made this a much more compact east coast trip than my expedition of six months ago.

BTW, the restaurant in the Bass Pro Shop is excellent.

I was just at the Independence supercharger again recently, and they still haven't fixed the totally messed up parking spot lines. Just make sure you line up with the supercharger and ignore the parking spot lines. There are 2 sets of lines, and the more visible set of lines define more parking spaces than there are superchargers. Really messed up.

Yes, the parking lines are still messed up. Looks like they’ve provided new stripes, but they do not line up with the chargers. 7 parking spaces for 6 chargers! Go figure. Tesla ... please have them restriped.

Charging is quite slow tonight. 31 degrees outside, battery almost 90 full and only getting 92 mph, 28 kW. No one else is charging.

Yes, the parking lines are still messed up. Looks like they’ve provided new stripes, but they do not line up with the chargers. 7 parking spaces for 6 chargers! Go figure. Tesla ... please have them restriped.

Charging is quite slow tonight. 31 degrees outside, battery almost 90 full and only getting 92 mph, 28 kW. No one else is charging.
Charging at 28 kW when the battery is 90% full is not slow.