Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Indio, CA (LIVE, 36 V3 + 8 V2 + 2 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 692
Is this a supercharging site AND A BATTERY SWAP STATION?

Looks like a normal super charging site. What does a battery swap station look like? A BSS would need storage for batteries a specialized area to swap a battery. I'm guessing it will look like a jiffy lube, I don't see that at Indio. I guess a BSS will just be a service centers initially?

The latest photo looks like next week the conduit will get setup and then the pads will be poured. Looking like mid June if all goes well.

Looks like a normal super charging site. What does a battery swap station look like? A BSS would need storage for batteries a specialized area to swap a battery. I'm guessing it will look like a jiffy lube, I don't see that at Indio. I guess a BSS will just be a service centers initially?

The latest photo looks like next week the conduit will get setup and then the pads will be poured. Looking like mid June if all goes well.

No one knows. There aren't any in existence yet. They would not be positioned at service centers (if they actually come out) because they serve the same purpose as a Supercharger but just a faster "re-charge" period.

The speculation about a battery swap station sounds a bit silly. If they were planning to swapping batteries, I'd think they'd need a building, more machinery, and some place to store battery packs. So far, all we have is a hole.

It's probably unlikely, but I don't think it needs to be as substantial as people are making it out to be. If you saw the battery swapping demonstration, there wasn't much to it and they swapped two batteries, so clearly it already had some mechanism to move the packs around. The setup didn't seem to me to be any larger than two parking spaces. Yes, they'd need a building or something to store the packs, but they wouldn't build the building before they dig the hole underneath it. That'd just be silly. I don't think we've seen them dig such large holes during any other SC build. Any ideas why they have to dig so much for this one?

This hole at Limon is pretty healthy - http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...arger-Limon-CO?p=663911&viewfull=1#post663911

I imagine this is where the transformer will go.

The transformer usually does not need too much of a base, but the pad that is usually enclosed with the Distribution Center and the Supercharger Cabinets has quite the foundation. In Cheyenne, the transformer is on a piece of prefab concrete, not even poured in place. The contractor in Farmington told me that he rarely saw such extensive prep and base work for an equipment pad. What does each Supercharger Cabinet weigh, 600 kg, 1320 lbs?

My annotated picture from Blanding. The excavation and base prep for the pad under the Distribution Center and the Supercharger Cabinets is a few feet deep.
Blanding Equipment-2.jpg

The two nearest parking spaces appear to be dug out entirely to a depth of at least 5 feet - what possible reason would there be to do that for just a supercharging station? Has there ever been that much excavation at a supercharger construction site? Very interesting...
Looks like the depth of the hole is required for the long sweep 90 deg bends for the large electrical conduits. They'll probably backfill 2-3 ft and pour a 2ft thick reinforcing concrete pad to hold the weight of the transformers. Might even fill the entire hole with concrete due to difficultly backfilling around the pipes

If the company was going to offer battery swapping in this area, I imagine they'd do it at the new Cathedral City service center just down the road.

I'm not saying it's a battery swapping station, but they wouldn't put it at the service center. It's not a tool for service to use. It's supposed to work alongside superchargers to enable road trips and give a nearly instantaneous full charge if you can't wait the 30 or so minutes. I think they've always said that battery swapping stations will be next to superchargers.