Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Indio, CA (LIVE, 36 V3 + 8 V2 + 2 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just went by Indio, no transformer and the street is still trenched and wireing has not been pulled across the street. As reported the chargers are in place, it looks like they are starting to build the inclosure around the electrical boxes.

Thanks for the update. I am hoping Indio will be operational by the end of September for my first road trip to California.

Thanks for the update. I am hoping Indio will be operational by the end of September for my first road trip to California.

FYI, The trip from Quartzite to Hawthorne can be done... I've done it twice and in both directions. The trick is cruise control at 56. Hawthorne is at sea level so it's a long downhill from before the 605. Could always stop by Palm Springs Svc center to scoop up some other miles, but the time taken is about the same as driving through.

I was there this past Tuesday July 22 on my way to Quartzite.

No workers or activity was noted, site was entirely fenced in.
The good news: the Superchargers and the Tesla Electrical equipment appeared to be be fairly set.

The not so good news: there are dozens of feet of trenches running in three directions, and they probably still need to have the large-diameter conduit laid and extended up.
Heavy duty wiring will need to be pulled, installed and terminated at both ends of the conduit runs.
Some of the trenches are covered with heavy steel plates, some (inside the fenced work area) only covered with plywood.
Then the street can be back- filled and new topping installed.
And probably a new concrete pad for the missing transformer.
And the (concrete) sidewalks need to be partially re-poured.
And signage needs to be installed adjacent to the Supercharger bays.
And the electrical equipment enclosure needs to be fenced in.

IMO, a good two to three weeks of work still required, AFTER workers return to the site.
So many pictures to post, hard to edit which ones are worth sharing/posting.

And the drive up the hill (mountains) to Quartzite will certainly be a WHOLE lot easier after this location comes online.

I was there this past Tuesday July 22 on my way to Quartzite.

No workers or activity was noted, site was entirely fenced in.
The good news: the Superchargers and the Tesla Electrical equipment appeared to be be fairly set.

The not so good news: there are dozens of feet of trenches running in three directions, and they probably still need to have the large-diameter conduit laid and extended up.
Heavy duty wiring will need to be pulled, installed and terminated at both ends of the conduit runs.
Some of the trenches are covered with heavy steel plates, some (inside the fenced work area) only covered with plywood.
Then the street can be back- filled and new topping installed.
And probably a new concrete pad for the missing transformer.
And the (concrete) sidewalks need to be partially re-poured.
And signage needs to be installed adjacent to the Supercharger bays.
And the electrical equipment enclosure needs to be fenced in.

IMO, a good two to three weeks of work still required, AFTER workers return to the site.
So many pictures to post, hard to edit which ones are worth sharing/posting.

And the drive up the hill (mountains) to Quartzite will certainly be a WHOLE lot easier after this location comes online.

The bad news about your good news is that it's been that way for over a month now. :)

From the looks of all the adjacent vacant//future pad sites for future tenants, the Landlord may have something to to with the slow build-out.
Every new tenant's building will require a certain amount of power for lights, A/C, possible kitchen equipment for a restaurant, etc. and the properly sized (over-sized?) transformers to power them, without having to do additional disruptive demolition and trenching for those future tenants at a later date.
And it may be something ties into one of those future leases that prevents the design team and construction team (further research and implementation) from knowing HOW to proceed.

Design and construction projects are seldom a simple linear process, although we often times wish it would be.
(Look at the threadS about people selecting paint color for their new MS, and then deciding on final Options that they desire.)

Hmmph this is like watching the kettle boil.

Starting watching this thread about a month ago, thought there would be plenty of time for the Supercharger to get installed.

Well I am driving to Santa Fe NM from Los Angeles tomorrow - guess I won't be supercharging in Palm Springs area this time around.

And as it turned out I also got EVd last night in Westin. 2 Tesla's and 1 CMax were hogging the lone 14-50 and 2 110v sockets in the charging area. Had to back in this morning in front of the cars to eeck out enough miles so I can make it to Quartzite today.
Come on Indio Supercharger! Hotels will also have to expand their charging facilities - the Tesla's are spreading too fast!

Progress....

Just drove by, it looks like they just need the transformer and to pull the power lines. the street and parking lot is patched trenches covered and the street is open again, the only fence is around the chargers, they have also built the inclosure around the tesla power boxes. It is probably a 1 or 2 day job to finish once the city delivers the transformer....