Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Iowa City, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Iowa City locations seem poorly placed for thru traffic on I-80 and US-218. Any new additions to the network are obviously welcomed, but it'd be nice to see supercharges closer to the interstate/highway. IMO there are much more attractive locations at various Casey's and Kum & Go's in the metro area. Both companies have hosted superchargers in the Midwest previously.

The Iowa City locations seem poorly placed for thru traffic on I-80 and US-218. Any new additions to the network are obviously welcomed, but it'd be nice to see supercharges closer to the interstate/highway. IMO there are much more attractive locations at various Casey's and Kum & Go's in the metro area. Both companies have hosted superchargers in the Midwest previously.
This is the dumbest location yet. How about Ames, Walcott. Not another too far off the interstate in this area. Completely unnecessary at this time!

This is the dumbest location yet. How about Ames, Walcott. Not another too far off the interstate in this area. Completely unnecessary at this time!
Ames would be nice.. If I had to guess, the Walcott, IA charger (listed on Tesla's website for a target opening of Q2 '22) will be at one of the truck stops on I-80. They drop future pin locations on the city center, which can be pretty far away from the actual charger location. Surely there's some room at The World's Largest Truck Stop!

Ames would be nice.. If I had to guess, the Walcott, IA charger (listed on Tesla's website for a target opening of Q2 '22) will be at one of the truck stops on I-80. They drop future pin locations on the city center, which can be pretty far away from the actual charger location. Surely there's some room at The World's Largest Truck Stop!

Almost guaranteed. Walcott should end up being a better location than Davenport as far as distance from the interstate and have faster chargers.

Walcott location is to be at the I-80 Truckstop. See thread here ...

Hy-Vee at 1103 N Dodge Street.
I have no idea how you found out, but the Hy-Vee is indeed the location.

Iowa City.jpg

Attachments

• Iowa City PDF.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 76
Reactions: mociaf9
Here are some pictures of the proposed location. Fortunately the area is separate from most of the normal traffic pattern of the parking lot. The parking lot at this Hyvee is on the small side and usually busy. There are two Charge Point chargers in the main lot area but only one of the four possible connectors has been working. No evidence of any construction other than a stack of temporary fence in a different area of the parking lot.

Attachments

• tempImageA8MnIQ.png
    tempImageA8MnIQ.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 140
  • tempImageMvOveJ.png
    tempImageMvOveJ.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 130
This is in my former neighborhood in Iowa City. Easier access than Coralville for anyone traveling E/W on I-80. I agree, doesn't help N/S 218 travelers at all. Insider tip ... The Hilltop Tap is directly across the street from this new charger location and was my neighborhood bar. It looks a bit of a dive from the outside but it’s a very friendly and inviting place. It’s had the same owner for the last 30 years. They have lunch specials, homemade soups, and good basic bar food. Try one of their homemade chocolate chip cookies.

Hopefully Alliant doesn't screw up and setup an undersized electrical supply like they did with the CR location. Because of that it has been delayed a couple weeks (or possibly more). My gut tells me they setup the same size supply for what the Coralville V2 location had, which of course wouldn't be enough.

Stalls going in! Needs wire pulled, transformer and meter. (The green transformer is existing for gas station)

Attachments

• DE6D8F7D-4CD3-4C70-88EB-7E0A6A9B99A0.jpeg
    DE6D8F7D-4CD3-4C70-88EB-7E0A6A9B99A0.jpeg
    631.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 1EF1D698-40AA-477F-ABDB-B19210E7C020.jpeg
    1EF1D698-40AA-477F-ABDB-B19210E7C020.jpeg
    749.6 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: mociaf9