Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Irvine, CA - Michelson Dr. (Park Place, LIVE 19 Oct 2019, 12 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be surprised if it’s actually 29 spots. The permit says the affected construction area is 4,400 square feet, which sounds about right (taking into account the fenced off / coned off areas on both floors). It looks like 29 is just what you get when you divide this number by the legal size of an Irvine parking spot (9 feet by 17 feet). Could be, though... just seems like a weird number!

Also worth noting: the two groups of 4 tubes are larger in diameter than the groups of 3 and 1. The eight large ones are about 3 inches while the four small ones are more like 2 inches. No idea why...

You can see this difference in the last photos I posted, but it’s also visible in the differently-sized holes through to the marked spots:

6FCC3351-F09F-4631-A7F6-C626582C00DC.jpeg

53095808-C8B2-4823-88D2-02349059626B.jpeg

Last edited:
Went to check it out and progress looks good. Big question I have though. I'm assuming they will be back to back so you can charge from spots on either side of the installation. What are they going to do with that parking gate arm to get to the spots on the back side. Is it going to be pay to park on one side and free on the other? Are they going to move that gate?

And... the fence is up! 12 spots blocked off. Empty now, but you can see where they’ve started assembling a wiring channel that runs along the back of the spots... I haven’t seen this sort of setup before!

E9A90CA6-6428-4ED2-8055-4E5D71D20AAA.jpeg

D297D744-8C11-405F-93B7-7E9D2171C313.jpeg

3F3F4A53-BAD3-418B-ABC1-A614ECB02698.jpeg

07BD9A3A-CA60-44DF-A96B-1EEC35BF74DB.jpeg

8277442B-C439-422A-B65B-2DD82E876528.jpeg
4E483E94-C8E3-4189-BA66-6D821F690405.jpeg

63255AB3-1B5D-4F50-BA34-A90CCE93BE70.jpeg

Big question I have though. I'm assuming they will be back to back so you can charge from spots on either side of the installation.

I’m not so sure that’s what they’ll do. There’s a pretty wide gap between these two rows of spots (you can see the “guardrail” cables in the pics above), and they’re ramps, so they’re angled differently. It would be pretty tough to make anything two-sided work there, not accounting for the fact that the back spots are reserved for the hotel.

But hopefully I’m wrong, and that has something to do with why those eight tubes were larger!

And... the fence is up! 12 spots blocked off. Empty now, but you can see where they’ve started assembling a wiring channel that runs along the back of the spots... I haven’t seen this sort of setup before!
I think the Burbank site did something similar with a channel. That was the first time I saw that. Similar set-up, on the rooftop of a parking structure.

And, the first tube is through... with the others close behind!
Err...umm.... :)

In North America, "raceway" is the formal, generic term for any structure that encloses and protects electrical cabling; "conduit" is the more common term in everyday use. The specific type of round conduit in your pictures is EMT ("electrical metallic tubing"). The square stuff with removable side panels is a "wiring duct".

Hi everyone, perhaps this was discussed up-thread. Supercharge.info has 2 sites listed in Irvine: this one that is under construction, and a second one that is on 1970 Main St. When I click on the "discuss" link for the other location, it brings me to this thread. Is there indeed a permit for another Irvine site, or is that just speculation?

Hi everyone, perhaps this was discussed up-thread. Supercharge.info has 2 sites listed in Irvine: this one that is under construction, and a second one that is on 1970 Main St. When I click on the "discuss" link for the other location, it brings me to this thread. Is there indeed a permit for another Irvine site, or is that just speculation?

Yes there is, I was the one who found the permits initially :). The other one is still going through planning. I checked on it a few days ago.