Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Irvine, CA - Michelson Dr. (Park Place, LIVE 19 Oct 2019, 12 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh my I just went to plugshare to update the parking structure location info, so others have an easier time of finding the location, and found some smart guy entered this as a Tesla roadster/standard wall charger only location. Have filed a correction request to Tesla Supercharger with PlugShare. They also swiped my photo from here, but thats okay lol:

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Reactions: phaheem
Walked by this morning after the gym, looks like people already left their trash (drink cups) on the railing from overnight. I went ahead and cleaned it up, but hopefully this is not a common occurrence at this location.

good on ya for doing that. it's becoming a huge problem now of people leaving their trash everywhere around the superchargers. this seems to be especially prevalent at stations where cars reverse into the space to charge. hopefully a trash bin will be installed to help with this.

good on ya for doing that. it's becoming a huge problem now of people leaving their trash everywhere around the superchargers. this seems to be especially prevalent at stations where cars reverse into the space to charge. hopefully a trash bin will be installed to help with this.
There is actually a trash container by the stairs, so I don't see any reason for people to really litter at this location. Hopefully it was just one bad apple this time around.

Interesting, are there going to be two superchargers in Irvine? Which is kind of odd because both those locations are only about 3 blocks away from each other (3 minute drive).

VXes2ZG.jpg

I guess so, but in the case of Burbank (not sure about Downey) it was an early Supercharger station that was a bit too small and overrun by demand and couldn't be expanded. It looks like in Irvine two stations are simultaneously being built next to each other.

Although to be fair there are a ton of Teslas in Irvine, I could definitely see multiple stations in the area. I just thought the second station would either be along the I-5 or even in East Irvine by Spectrum.

Also found a few more details on the Michelson Dr. location. Not terribly much info but the permit shows the size as 29 spaces. Probably doesn't mean 29 stalls though...

5c4xTng.png
The number of superchargers units is rather limited, 12 in one location and this one for 8. I have noticed many of the supercharges are full as more and more Tesla vehicles are bought. Last Sunday at 2pm in San Clemente, which has 20 units, had to wait in line to get to a supercharger. A year ago, it was never problem. Also, the one Anaheim Hills is always very busy. The more superchargers the better.

Got the last available one this afternoon. It's weird on the app and touchscreen, sometimes will say 3/12 free, then check a few minutes later and it says 2/2 free or 1/1 free.

I have been visually spot checking the location two or three times a day.

The first number (number of stalls free), is fairly accurate +/- one car. For whatever reason, the number of fixed stalls reported is always equal to or greater than the number of reported open stalls. I just ignore it at this point when enroute there. Just use the number of open stalls as your guide imo.

Last edited:
Sigh Michelson has turned into FV :( . Full most all of the day through late evening. I guess adding more superchargers is like adding more lanes to a freeway...they will always be just as full as before in grossly overpopulated areas.

Sigh Michelson has turned into FV :( . Full most all of the day through late evening. I guess adding more superchargers is like adding more lanes to a freeway...they will always be just as full as before in grossly overpopulated areas.

Don't forget, I found another permit for a nearby site for Irvine folks. Here's the post: Supercharger — Irvine (1970 Main St, permit application in planning dept)

And don't forget about Mission Viejo as well:
Supercharger — Mission Viejo (Permit applied for Sep 2019, 10 stalls)

Don't forget, I found another permit for a nearby site for Irvine folks. Here's the post: Supercharger — Irvine (1970 Main St, permit application in planning dept)

And don't forget about Mission Viejo as well:
Supercharger — Mission Viejo (Permit applied for Sep 2019, 10 stalls)
Yes these up and comers have also been known about for sometime. And will assuredly have the same availability issues for the same reasons mentioned.

I do love and appreciate that Tesla continues to install more and more superchargers, but with them almost always full, makes charging a challenge for those of us that have no or 110V only charging at home. When I bought the Tesla I was counting on the Michelson Chargepoint chargers at work, but continued reliability issues with those (as well as Michelson supercharger availability) has thrown a wrench into my charging routine for sure.

That's one way to look at it, but it turns out adding more lanes to freeways actually does help. It might not make driving through rush hour any faster, but it does allow more throughput and contracts the hours of rush hour. In the same vein, more Supercharger sites might not mean open stalls all the time, but it should alleviate the congestion at existing Superchargers. I don't blame you for being disappointed though; I think we all dream of under 50% utilized Supercharger lots.

That's one way to look at it, but it turns out adding more lanes to freeways actually does help. It might not make driving through rush hour any faster, but it does allow more throughput and contracts the hours of rush hour. In the same vein, more Supercharger sites might not mean open stalls all the time, but it should alleviate the congestion at existing Superchargers. I don't blame you for being disappointed though; I think we all dream of under 50% utilized Supercharger lots.

Getting kinda off-topic but I think what we really need are for L2 chargers (i.e. Chargepoint) to be far more ubiquitous than they are. We need way more of them at shopping centers, office parks, apartment complexes, etc. None of this onesey-twosey freebie Volta stuff that get hogged by leeches in their Prius Primes. If L2 charging gets commonplace enough to the point where drivers don't need to think about where they're located, Superchargers can (hopefully) revert back to their original intent: enablement of long distance driving.

Reactions: ord3r