Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Irvine, CA - Michelson Dr. (Park Place, LIVE 19 Oct 2019, 12 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped by today to check this Supercharger out. Completely full with 6 waiting and 2 driving up the parking structure ramp on a Thursday at 12:30 PM. OUCH

Good news is the Supercharger at Fountain Valley wasn't full with a wait line for the first time in a long time 2 days ago. These additional Superchargers should help the SoCal Supercharger congestion... but only after Tesla builds a LOT more Superchargers and/or figures out a way to keep locals from clogging up the Superchargers.

anybody know what the cost for charging at the Irvine supercharger located on Michelson drive? I thought it was $0.28/kW......I just got charged $0.32/kW for my wife’s M3

I have free 1,00 mile charging until December 19 for my wife’s M3....charged at Michelson with 357 kW left from the free charging.....got no charge.......

went Michelson on 20 Nov 19 and charged 34kW on the M3.......just got billed $10.88 today......called Tesla and they told me free charging ends on 16 Dec 19 on the Model S, which I have not even gotten yet......they also told me they see the free 1,000 miles for the M3 but it has not been generated yet and it would take 3-5 business days to kick in........go figure....I charged in Temecula on 27 Jul 19 for 43kW and it showed as no cost on my wife’s account until today.....

the free charge does not show up on my wife’s account under history anymore .....it shows up on my account under history for the new Model S that has not been delivered.......(I will get free lifetime supercharging on the new Model S)......she gets free 1,000 miles on the M3.....

it is really screwed up....just put deposit on Truck, but I am wondering if that was a good move.....oh well....we’ll see

I guess so, but in the case of Burbank (not sure about Downey) it was an early Supercharger station that was a bit too small and overrun by demand and couldn't be expanded. It looks like in Irvine two stations are simultaneously being built next to each other.

Although to be fair there are a ton of Teslas in Irvine, I could definitely see multiple stations in the area. I just thought the second station would either be along the I-5 or even in East Irvine by Spectrum.

Also found a few more details on the Michelson Dr. location. Not terribly much info but the permit shows the size as 29 spaces. Probably doesn't mean 29 stalls though...

5c4xTng.png
charged there on 20 Nov 10....has 12 open chargers......sometimes a 1 or 2 car wait but goes by fast

You are absolutely correct. The Michelson area is extremely busy throughout the day. The structure is the most logical place because it's closer to the restaurant. As you mentioned, it would be better positioned against the 405, but it'll be a hike to restaurants/restrooms. The Main location is not any better, since it's also in high traffic parking structure. Neither location will be easily access given the high volume of traffic at Jamboree/Michelson and Main/MacArthur. With all that said, I'd still welcome them.
I have not been to the Main charger but have been to the one at Michelson since I live in Northwood.....I have had to wait 5 min one time and 8 min the other time......I agree that noon time traffic is bad because of the lunch and work out people...but it really is a good place.....went there at 7pm one day and it had 3 cars there......

Tustin market is being considered now for 24 superchargers........and some across the street at Irvine market

anybody know what the cost for charging at the Irvine supercharger located on Michelson drive? I thought it was $0.28/kW......I just got charged $0.32/kW for my wife’s M3
The information from someone earlier in the thread when the site first opened was that it was listed as $0.32/kWh at Irvine:
$0.32 / kWh + up to $1.00 / min idle fee.

but I just observed it cost $0.32 per kW which is more than the advertised $0.28
The only place to see what the price is for supercharging at a specific supercharger is to look at the information that is displayed when you tap on that supercharger's pin in the car's navigation system on the touchscreen. This has to be done in the car itself; doing it via the phone app doesn't show the price. Was your impression that Tesla advertised the price as $0.28/kWh from their Supercharging webpage? If so, then you should read that page more carefully. Specifically, pay close attention to the bullet points above the price. The $0.28/kWh price is the AVERAGE price for all US superchargers that bill by kWh, not the price for all kWh supercharging.

Yeah lots of fights over spots without the line. I’ve seen it a lot over at the FV SC. I’ve been getting in the habit of getting out of the car and asking everyone whose next up.

BTW nice momo avatar
Yup, totally agree because the local try to pick a fight with my family and my dog when we and other cars try to line up but the locals were somehow parked in spots when we went to FV SC...still can't believe how trashy the locals are over there...

Fancy, oh :)

Reactions: Jamesus
Maybe I live in a fantasy land but I would think in the age of a "connected car" that folks could press something on the Supercharger sub-window on the navigation screen to reserve in a queue system.

I've seen someone obliviously jump a line of parked Teslas at a SuC lot. Someone got out to explain the line (in a rather aggressive manner), and the person just about peeled out of there in embarrassment. Which got me thinking...did that person really need to Supercharge?

Reactions: Jamesus and KBaoBao