Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA - Bernard Dr. (LIVE, 56 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard when the stalls are full that's when you only get 80kw, but it seems like in your case they weren't completely full right?
As @ElectricCyclist mentioned, about 20 stations were roped off. And of the stations that weren't roped off there were probably around 5 available (although I didn't stop to actually count). So that's correct, not completely full.

Reactions: newjacka
As @ElectricCyclist mentioned, about 20 stations were roped off. And of the stations that weren't roped off there were probably around 5 available (although I didn't stop to actually count). So that's correct, not completely full.
Yesterday afternoon all of the available stalls that could be used were in use the whole time I was there as I sat in a line to get a charger and there was a line the whole time I was there.

Yesterday afternoon all of the available stalls that could be used were in use the whole time I was there as I sat in a line to get a charger and there was a line the whole time I was there.

What time in the afternoon were you there? Just curious.

Does there seem to be a consistent time of day when this supercharger reaches full capacity? If I want to avoid waiting in line, does anyone who frequents this location have an estimate as to how early would I have to get there on a weekend? Thank you.

What time in the afternoon were you there? Just curious.

Does there seem to be a consistent time of day when this supercharger reaches full capacity? If I want to avoid waiting in line, does anyone who frequents this location have an estimate as to how early would I have to get there on a weekend? Thank you.
This is most definitely due to the Thanksgiving Holiday that we are seeing this much traffic. I was at the Supercharger around 3:30PM yesterday just as a reference point but most other weekends I am pretty confident there will be many open chargers when you drive in.

Reactions: joebruin77 and bmah
I've heard when the stalls are full that's when you only get 80kw
That’s not exactly accurate. As others have pointed out, v3 sites can provide a site-wide max of ~80kw per stall, assuming all stalls are asking for more than 80kw of power (which is unlikely given the charge taper). If one car is only drawing 60kw, that other 20kw is available to other vehicles.

Last edited:
That’s not exactly accurate. As others have pointed out, v3 sites can provide a site-wide max of ~80kw per stall, assuming all stalls are asking for more than 80kw of power (which is unlikely given the charge taper). If one car is only drawing 60kw, that other 20kw is available to other vehicles.
Thats right the ability to power share between V3 cabinets on the shared DC bus is an enormous feature to have for Tesla and can connect up to 7 cabinets together. This Kettlemen site is really just a replica of a 28 stall 7 cabinet site configuration which is why from my pictures you see two switchgears and two PGE transformers.

No other EV charging company that I know of has a charging system that works so well as an entire site as Tesla does.

IMG_8356.JPG
Contrary to the in-car navigation, I charged here yesterday (Sunday) afternoon, and at the 2nd row which has been dark/unpowered since this site opened. When I arrived, I had my choice out of 56 stalls. :) Two more cars showed up while I was there, so people are exploring this site despite being told it's not available. And no high-usage 80% limit, which was the case at the older location across the highway (which was indeed busy).

View attachment 741202
Contrary to the in-car navigation, I charged here yesterday (Sunday) afternoon, and at the 2nd row which has been dark/unpowered since this site opened. When I arrived, I had my choice out of 56 stalls. :) Two more cars showed up while I was there, so people are exploring this site despite being told it's not available. And no high-usage 80% limit, which was the case at the older location across the highway (which was indeed busy).
did they install a megapack?

View attachment 741202
In car nav still states temporary closure and unfortunately for me, this was the case. Walked both rows and all stalls were powered down. Luckily 32/40 stalls available across the street without a wait.

20211207_113736.jpg