Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those keeping score at home, I do not feel we have been presented with enough evidence (yet) to declare that this supercharger was full with cars waiting.

Anyone care to guess when the first time Baker will be full?

I dunno... I'm pretty satisfied/impressed with the picture that was posted even though it didn't show a line.

Reactions: rpc364 and TonyPham
All of the ones you listed are in hotel parking lots.
Yes, they are. It seems to be one of the most common places to locate Supercharger Stations, at least on my routes. Those four also have supermarkets within walking distance, which I appreciate. The only Supercharger Stations that I can recall that are located in supermarket parking lots are Bend OR and Sandy OR, although I think that there are some others in Fred Meyer lots elsewhere.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

P.S.: Had to! The Law is a comin' and these posts are gonna get it!

If you really wanted to charge and couldn't wait, you could take the handicap spot, plug in, and wait in the car in case a handicap vehicle shows up, then you'd let them have the spot.

Good thought...unfortunately its tough to come out ahead out in any practical scenario. Even with a very long line, whatever time you lose 'not charging' while waiting for a supercharger to open up--which is going to give at minimum 30kw once you plug in--is almost aways going to overtake the [best case] 20kW from the HPWC.

If I were in that line I probably would not be using the word “nice” to describe the situation. ;)

Bruce.
That line probably only takes about 10 minutes to move through. But it is funny that this one fills up when it is HUGE and there are other options in central CA. I know a lot of people like to check out the lounge, but I would never stop here at the expense of having to wait in line, even for 10 minutes. Hopefully eventually people learn to charge at Harris Ranch or Buttonwillow on high traffic days like this one. At least that is what I will be doing.

We'll know we have a real problem when "Bakersfield" is full :)

Reactions: nwdiver
Wow! I think this is the first time someone has posted that this location was full as far as I know (I don’t recall anyone posting it was ever even close to full). I will be there tomorrow mid-morning.
I am at the Kettleman Supercharger right now. 100% full and people waiting. As soon as I can figure out how to upload the pic I just took, I will. I like my steak medium rare. And I’ll take any date in August for my trip. Thanks!
view
IMG_4537.HEIC

• Love
Reactions: Joelc and K3Man
But it is funny that this one fills up when it is HUGE and there are other options in central CA.

I'd asses the reality of congested Central Valley travel in the exact opposite manner. Granted I only have a data point of one (today), but Gilroy, Gustine, Fresno, Harris, Kettleman, Bakersfield, Buttonwillow, and Tejon were all hovering in the 0-3 available stall range for hours during peak *sugar* show. I charged at Casa de Fruita on the way out of the bay and that was even abnormally full with ~8-10 stalls occupied.

Anyway, I would surmise that, if Kettleman is full, you absolutely WANT to go to Kettleman unless you're really fixin to gamble on one of the other locations. The 10 car line moved at more or less a car per minute, and by virtue of the statistics of 20 pairs, you're VERY likely to get a good paired rate. I was paired with a 100D and started off at something like 90kw. A 1-2 car wait at one of the smaller sites could easily be 10+ minutes, and even if you luck out and get an open plug you're more likely to get a crappy initial rate.

For the record it was so crowded that nav routed me down 33 out of KC, with a cross back to the 5 on 46. I actually kept going to Maricopa and it only added 10 more min drive time...and easily double that on my lifespan. :p No traffic...cruise at 68 the whole time.

Note: Should you find yourself that way during the day feel free to take some juxtaposed photos of your Tesla in the endless fields of derricks... :cool:

Pics of the in-car occupied display would be interesting - wondering how Buttonwillow/Bakersfield, Harris Ranch, Gustine look vs Fresno - I’m generally running between Barstow and Sacramento.

As noted above, it was very red. 0-3 stalls open for everything in between Gustine and tejon, at least for during the ~2:15 it took me to get from Casa to KC. I looked at Arastradero and the Marriott a couple times too; they weren’t as full but always over 50%.