Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Briefly. Pretty balanced arrival and departures now. But I can imagine tomorrow not so much. Amazing that i am getting full power draw with 40 SC all engaged. 500GW pull ?

This scene is literally seconds past the moment I hoped they had in a YouTube clip in reference to your calculation. Oh well! .5TW ... niiiice. (Actually, in that fictional TV show, Carter said they needed 700GW, at around 15:18 in the episode, a few scenes before them turning it on.)
---
Having said that I can't see 40 cars in this picture so unless @rpc364 has some other angles I think @RubberToe's bank account is safe :p

Not 100% familiar with the layout but looks like a couple of empty spots:

View attachment 355302
In very large numbers like this, there's often a logistics issue that at any given moment, there is a process of someone pulling out of a spot and someone else pulling in, thereby having a situation where it is rarely ever 100% full despite there being enough fullness for a queue to develop. In these numbers, you can vaguely start to think of the cars as a gas with a certain pressure and pressure relief rather than as solids; of course, they actually follow solids rules, but it helps to realize that those rules are not a binary on-off state, but a more rich state machine. Just as an example, if charges are limited to 40 minutes, then approximately (on average, not exactly) every minute there is at least one car leaving or coming or it is not full enough for that to occur. "Full" takes on a whole new sophisticated meaning at high numbers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
When will the first supercharger station be using 1.21GW? Great Scott!
With current superchargers which max out 145kW paired/split, that would take an install with 16,690 stalls. If you allow them to use 350kW (as a guess for what v3 will max out at, and assume that each charger serves 2 stalls similar to current superchargers) it would take an install with 6,914 stalls. So, since I can't imagine a use case for that many superchargers in a single location, I'll go with never. It's never going to happen.

Reactions: GSP and ReddyLeaf
I am at the Kettleman Supercharger right now. 100% full and people waiting. As soon as I can figure out how to upload the pic I just took, I will. I like my steak medium rare. And I’ll take any date in August for my trip. Thanks!
view
IMG_4537.HEIC

Well, user @rpc364 graciously declined (i.e. let me off the hook !) my PM offer of a free steak dinner at the restaurant of his choice. Since one good turn deserves another, I'm sending the medium rare steak (not Wagyu unfortunately) over to some animals who have been displaced by the recent Northern California fires. I'm much more of a cat person than a dog person, so hopefully this guy will be in a sharing mood on the Holiday weekend.

Thanks to Elon, all the Tesla workers, and everyone who drives an EV for helping us turn the page and make stories like this start to disappear from the headlines.

P.S. Mrs. RubberToe no longer allows me to drink before posting on TMC... ;)

VCA%20Donation%202_zpsehmpilub.jpg

VCA%20Donation%203_zpskqvu9n2y.jpg

VCA%20Donation_zps4ieb4k2e.jpg

Last edited:
He might have taken the photo a few minutes after arriving and some cars left? Or maybe some slots weren’t functioning? With that many cars a couple slots probably change out every couple minutes.
The first SC slot I occupied and tried to use had the hose wrapped and taped to the unit. An interesting way of someone declaring it “out of order”. When I pulled out of that slot, I found myself exchanging headlights with 2 other model 3s looking for an empty slot that wasn’t there. But as estimated with 40ish cars, a car was leaving about every minute or so, so I could get into a slot pretty quick. As a veteran of 4 NoCal/SoCal Thanksgiving roundtrips in a Tesla, today (Sunday) will be the worse. I am curious what the community has to say about the wait at Tajon, Harris Ranch, Kettleman City, et al. Pics below are the Model S screenshot of Kettleman City SC info when it was full (as I said, 1 SC unit was out, and there is almost always going to be another couple “not in use” associated with the dynamic of cars coming and going). The other pic is the Gustine Supercharger with a wait line as well. The growth of the Model 3 is the big change here. But I am happy to see the evidence that Tesla is clearly ascending and besting the shorters, naysayers, and bankruptcy planners...

Attachments

• 3D22C056-5B69-4177-B648-4595FE319B75.jpeg
    3D22C056-5B69-4177-B648-4595FE319B75.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 10505581-D9F5-40CE-A028-06C895FA4BD4.jpeg
    10505581-D9F5-40CE-A028-06C895FA4BD4.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 141
And still, no one is posting a photo from the Lounge of the top 10 Supercharger Locations. It would be interesting to see where Kettleman City stacks up against other constantly busy Superchargers, some with only 10 or 12 stalls.
When I looked yesterday, Kettleman City wasn’t in the top 10. As I recall, San Diego #1, Dublin #2, and some place in China #3. I didn’t register the rest other than no Kettleman City. The metric they are using (at least yesterday) is kWh (kilowatthours). That is measure of total energy delivered (not peak power). My take is Kettleman City is going to have big peaks on weekends and holidays and pretty slow the rest of the time and in that mode won’t be able to approach the total energy of moderate sized SC stations that are in constant use. If they use peak power draw, I am sure that Kettleman City would have the prize after yesterday.

Reactions: scottf200
If they use peak power draw, I am sure that Kettleman City would have the prize after yesterday.

I'm not sure about that there are 3 locations in china with 50 stalls.

Shanghai, Lilacs International Com. Center, China opened 2017-10-23
Beijing - Baolong Mansion, China opened 2017-09-18
Beijing - Hairun Mansion, China opened 2018-01-04

I don't know how busy those locations are but having 10 extra stalls one of those could have exceeded 40 in use already.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Is it? The thing I liked about Baker (and Kettleman City) is the shade from the solar panels. I'm less concerned with how fancy the other amenities are. JMO.
For me and my family it is.
Clean restrooms is the most important thing for us when traveling. I’ve stopped at baker on our way to Las Vegas and the restrooms are DQ were horrible! On our way back we stopped at yermo, absolutely fantastic facilities, very clean.
Next trip to Las Vegas we used yermo both ways. Next trip will be the same

For me and my family it is.
Clean restrooms is the most important thing for us when traveling. I’ve stopped at baker on our way to Las Vegas and the restrooms are DQ were horrible! On our way back we stopped at yermo, absolutely fantastic facilities, very clean.
Next trip to Las Vegas we used yermo both ways. Next trip will be the same
Some of the nicest restrooms I've seen are the ones at hotels, a common Supercharger location. Boise ID, for example (located one level down from the lobby in the conference center). The worst was Holbrook AZ: the Burger King where the Supercharger Station is located wouldn't allow restroom use without a purchase and the wide highway was too dangerous to cross to get to other places.

A minority view, to be sure, but my favorite amenity is a supermarket within walking distance, since I don't use restaurants on road trips. Farmington NM, Boise, The Dalles OR, and Moab UT have supermarkets.

Reactions: ohmman
The worst was Holbrook AZ: the Burger King where the Supercharger Station is located wouldn't allow restroom use without a purchase

Please tell me Holbrook AZ is in Europe where this is common. I have seen attendants blocking the entrance to the restroom demanding money before he would let you in. Buying food wouldn’t suffice. Restroom charges are extra.

Moderator note: I think we can all agree that the lounge at Kettleman is wonderful and that we like clean bathrooms wherever we go. :D But let’s not let this thread about the Kettleman City Supercharger veer off into a discussion of the “amenities” at Yermo, Baker, Boise, Holbrook, Mojave, etc.

We could create a new thread about “Supercharger amenities” for those who wish to continue the discussion.

Thank you. :cool: