Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lake Arrowhead, CA (LIVE 17 Nov 2021, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Live! @bmah @MarcoRP @corywright
20211117_083245.jpg

We were all alone this weekend
So far, on our cars' nav maps (Supercharger layer turned on), we've been noticing light usage at this Supercharger site.

Meanwhile, when visiting nearby Skypark at Santa's Village (shameless plug: great mountain bike park, Christmas-themed family fun, and outdoor ice skating about to open), we're seeing plenty of Teslas in the packed parking lot. I'm guessing that most area visitors are still Supercharging down the mountain first, if they even need to charge at all. Skypark managers say that they hope to add EV charging as an amenity before too long, which could be preferable to Supercharging for many.

I think the Lake Arrowhead Superchargers will prove most useful to overnight visitors who lack easy access to charging at their accommodations. They'll also be invaluable when the winter cold and snow start impacting driving range.

Reactions: beachmiles
So far, on our cars' nav maps (Supercharger layer turned on), we've been noticing light usage at this Supercharger site.

Meanwhile, when visiting nearby Skypark at Santa's Village (shameless plug: great mountain bike park, Christmas-themed family fun, and outdoor ice skating about to open), we're seeing plenty of Teslas in the packed parking lot. I'm guessing that most area visitors are still Supercharging down the mountain first, if they even need to charge at all. Skypark managers say that they hope to add EV charging as an amenity before too long, which could be preferable to Supercharging for many.

I think the Lake Arrowhead Superchargers will prove most useful to overnight visitors who lack easy access to charging at their accommodations. They'll also be invaluable when the winter cold and snow start impacting driving range.
Santa's Village would actually be an ideal site for a supercharger. Right on Hwy 18.

Santa's Village would actually be an ideal site for a supercharger. Right on Hwy 18.
It's preferable to have Superchargers at places with public restrooms and restaurants or shops. Skypark, as currently configured, requires entrance fees to do anything. Lake Arrowhead Village is ideal in this respect. The overall area is also more of a destination than a through route, so Superchargers need not be right on the main highway. I would say the same thing about the Mammoth Lakes, CA Superchargers, as they're in the town rather than right off US 395.

I expect that this location will be like many others: completely empty most of the time and slammed at others. Just wait until ski season starts.
Sure enough, the Lake Arrowhead Superchargers became quite busy over this past Thanksgiving weekend. Quite often over the weekend, most if not all of the stalls were occupied, a big change from days prior.

Longer term, Tesla would do well to install Superchargers in each of the remaining, major San Bernardino Mountains communities, including Crestline, Running Springs, and Big Bear.

Moderator note: This post and the next several replies were merged from another thread.

Following a recent ski trip to Bear Mountain I’d planned to do a little drive up around Rim of the World and over to Lake Arrowhead where there is supposedly (according to the onboard trip planner and Tesla’s web site) an eight-stall supercharger site at the Village Shopping Center. Well I arrived with about 18% battery left (getting a bit concerned) and - surprise! No supercharger station. I checked everywhere in and around the location indicated by the on-board navigation computer, Google earth, Apple Maps, etc. Nothing. I was (thankfully) able to get myself to Highway 330 and regenerate the battery enough on descent to Highland - where there actually IS a supercharger station, but it was a one of those things that could’ve ended badly if there’d been heavy traffic or I’d gotten to Lake Arrowhead with anything less than I had.

So (questions):

1. Anyone know if the Lake Arrowhead charging station actually exists? I checked everywhere and even using Google street view afterwards - nothin’

2. Is there a way to report this to Tesla? I could easily envision a scenario where someone (like me) headed there via their own navigation system, preconditioning all the while - and got stuck or ran out of charge as a result (there are not a lot of other options in that area, unfortunately).

3. Anyone else run into this or something similar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, a big thank you! Great resource! I can assure you there is no obvious signage or other indication that the EV stations are in there (I looked!) although it makes a lot of sense that Tesla would want them to be protected since they get lots of snow up there). It’d be great if Tesla’s app simply said the same thing as PlugShare’s site does (but that’d probably make way too much sense…) 😁

Excellent info for next time - sincere thanks! Glad it worked out (and I think next time I’ll top up my charge at Highland before the ascent up 330 and then heading over on 18). Lesson learned - and that I can actually put 6% back into the battery via regeneration even with near-freezing temps and at night (lights, heat running) on the descent so it’s all good… this one really had me stumped!