Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lake Elsinore, CA (LIVE 28 Feb 2018, 20 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I counted 21! =)
Yep 21.

And I grabbed some new pics, looks like it's getting pretty close.
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0301.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Mark Z and Acps110
It is hard to see where the transformer will be placed in the pictures posted so far.
Is the cement pad for the transformer done? It is usually placed near the enclosure for the charger units.

It appears this location is SCE territory. For past SC installations, SCE has often been slow to install the transformer. For the Riverside SC that went live a few weeks ago, there was no delay and the transformer was installed early. The difference is Riverside has their own municipal electric utility.

UtilityMap.png

I visited on Jan 14th and gathered some information about the location for those unfamiliar with the area. Normal outlet hours are 10 AM to 8 PM. Restrooms within the outlet management office are spacious and close to the Superchargers. A candy and beverage vending machine is inside. As others have mentioned, food locations are slim, but for those who wish to sit and dine, the Pints & Quarts Gastro Pub is open Sunday through Thursday until 9 PM for those who want an alternative to DQ or Wetzel's Pretzels. Friday and Saturday Pub hours are 10 AM to 11 PM at this web site: Pints and Quarts Gastro Pub | Lake Elsinore, CA

For now, I assume the outlet restrooms will be closed after hours. If you were to charge between the hours of from 8 PM to 10 AM, one suggestion would be to use the restroom at the ARCO with AM/PM Mini-Mart about 1 mile north before stopping to charge. Farmer Boys about a mile south is open from 6 AM to 11 PM and IHOP from 7 AM to 10 PM (to 12 AM Fri/Sat). If you have time during the day or early evening, enjoy the Golden Corral buffet about 1.5 miles south and east of the freeway before or after your Supercharge. Check the Yelp reviews of other nearby food locations in advance to avoid disappointment.

The Coca-Cola vending machines shown outside are on the north side of the Puma store. The Superchargers are located on the south side of the Outlets after driving in at the center entrance. Looking forward to the fence removal.

CEAD7FA0-277E-49D2-9DBE-F8DEE9182EE7.jpeg 308E4BE9-7EB5-4FF1-A01A-C768B31F1A2E.jpeg A849C3A0-FCF5-4805-8728-43B69E443A61.jpeg 7EBD5508-6F12-4823-ACD4-40B95457BAF3.jpeg E318B9EC-531F-43EE-87F4-4E52FF7A005A.jpeg A1A81E1E-84BC-46C6-9B04-8309C4AA0C4A.jpeg 03DAE9E4-4B31-44BB-B899-547A7DE152E4.jpeg 42DEA09C-61A4-4130-B49B-719E632008E1.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos. That is the first time I have seen Supercharger pedestals in a “back to back” configuration. Interesting.
I was thinking the same thing. Redondo Beach is different, with a sidewalk in between. This, however, could portend an opportunity for future builds. Imagine, instead of two single stall cabinets, and single, slightly thicker one, serving back to back stalls. The hardware itself may not prove to be a cost savings, but the trenching, as was likely in the case, of some benefit for both speed and cost.

Thanks for all the pictures during construction, but now that it is about done, I can't quite figure out where the transformer will be placed. 21 stalls requires 11 chargers, 1.5MW of power, so the transformer will be large, heavy, and installation will be a fairly big deal. I have never seen it put inside the protected enclosure since it is owned by the utility, not Tesla, and no one is going to walk off with it. Is there a pad for the transformer on the back side of the enclosure ?

On Google search saw a link that said currently closed...open 9:00 AM Monday, Still nothing official from Tesla.

For travelers, just time to get a Dairy Queen, then back on the road.

There is nothing quite as good as a Dairy Queen on a road trip.The outlet mall is quite nice to stroll around, however lots of empty stores. Looks like the mall is struggling.

I live just up the road, on Canyon Lake. There is a lot of SuperCharger action here. Nice chargers in the Promenade Mall South in Temecula. Another one scheduled North in Corona. A new one in Riverside, and the one near the Ontario Airport in the really nice Rancho Cucamonga mall with Cabellas Super Store across the street.

They seem to be popping up everywhere.

Time will tell if they will be freely available or clogged up by local owners grabbing free electrons.

On Google search saw a link that said currently closed...open 9:00 AM Monday, Still nothing official from Tesla.

For travelers, just time to get a Dairy Queen, then back on the road.

There is nothing quite as good as a Dairy Queen on a road trip.The outlet mall is quite nice to stroll around, however lots of empty stores. Looks like the mall is struggling.

I live just up the road, on Canyon Lake. There is a lot of SuperCharger action here. Nice chargers in the Promenade Mall South in Temecula. Another one scheduled North in Corona. A new one in Riverside, and the one near the Ontario Airport in the really nice Rancho Cucamonga mall with Cabellas Super Store across the street.

They seem to be popping up everywhere.

Time will tell if they will be freely available or clogged up by local owners grabbing free electrons.

Some Tesla owners do not own garages to charge at home. Some Tesla owners have to pay for Supercharging. The shot taken at local Tesla owners is a bit unfair.

Unfair or not, most of the clogged up SuperChargers are due to use by local people who have charging stations at home, but refuse to use them due to the expense.. Tesla will never have enough spaces so everyone can use them for all their charging needs. Tesla is in the process of installing additional Urban charging stations to support those with no other charging options.
I spoke to one owner, who saw the long waiting line at Qualcomm, that he was going home and coming back later, when the line should be gone!
I see the same thing with people needing to wait 20 minutes or more to fill up their ICE vehicles at Costco to save a few cents. Guess it is just human nature. When something is free, there will never be enough.

Only time I see clogged Supercharger out in the countryside is during heavy travel on National holidays. Such as on the way to Vegas or the Elipse special event. Hotels and restaurants also are sold out or have long waits on those days.

On a more positive note, the Dairy Queen there is offering a special weekday pricing of only $1.00 for a small cone, and equilivent discounts on the larger, or dipped cones!

Reactions: Graffi
On overuse of SC by locals:

I understand that many folks living in townhomes or apartments don't have a practical route to installing HPWC that could connect to their meter. I believe a partial solution is to advocate to planning departments to encourage them to require wiring to be installed for chargers for new construction. If planned in advance, the extra cost would be minimal.

There is a reason no brand except Tesla is building a full nationwide fast charging network: the cost of high power procurement and installation , and operation including demand charges is really high, so "free" SC charging is going to become rare.

Plugging in at home is so convenient, I don't accept the argument that spending time at a SC for "free" charging is worth the savings. SCE has begun to push all residential customers onto time-of-use, which makes overnight charging especially cheap, only a few cents per mile.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mark Z
I will be glad when this SC is operational. Our trips north will be so much easier, and give an alternative to Temecula.

This charger will be much easier to access than the one in Temecula (3rd floor in the back of the Mall). I'll be glad as well.

Everyone that has "free" super charging has paid for it in the cost of their car. I don't feel I'm being cheap by using something that I did pay for already.

The issue of locals using superchargers has been discussed extensively in every single supercharger thread in So Cal, along with several other threads specifically created for this subject. We don't need to rehash the subject again here. The consensus has been that no one has an issue with "locals" using a supercharger, as long as they do not leave their cars there during congested times and don't interfere with people who need to charge to get to their destination. That's when people start to take swipes at locals. And yes, we can discuss idle fees, etc., but let's not. If you see abuse at this location once it is open, bring it up then.
And yes, this is just my opinion. I am not a moderator, though have been disciplined enough by them on this exact subject to have become an expert! :D