Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger locations vary widely - is this true Nationwide?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did my first roadtrip across several states. In total I stopped at 6 SC's across 3 states. I noticed a few things about these locations:

1. The quality of the surroundings varied WIDELY. Several locations were very close to the Interstate, and had ample walking distance restaurants and shopping.

2. A few locations were pretty far off the interstate, involving driving for 10-15 mins to access.

3. One location (Angola, IN) where I had to stop on a dark rainy evening was downright scary. No lights, in the middle of nowhere. No shopping nearby, and one (crappy) restaurant that was attached to a low quality Ramada restaurant.

Does this variability happen nationwide? If so I'll start being much more selective on which routes I choose and which SCs I stop at.

Tesla has to find a cooperative business and negotiate the presence of each Supercharger individually. As a result, the type and quality of the locations can vary widely. Factor in the complication of dealing with permitting, city councils, electric companies, etc. and it increases the randomness of the process.

I've seen really nice locations with great amenities and downright sketchy ones. It's kinda like gas stations in that regard. Some are nicer and in better parts of towns than others.

Tesla has seemed to have a number of different criteria on site selection and that criteria has changed over time.
First, there are urban and interstate superchargers. It is often the situation as an Interstate goes through a town, that an existing urban (off the Interstate) charger is used. Urban chargers are placed where it makes more sense for those who live there. And there are store chargers that are associated with a store/service center, and some of those aren't in the best part of town.
Also, a charger that is downtown is often great during the date, but scary at night with everyone gone.

But, today, they seem to be focusing on places the chargers where there is ample facilities nearby.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the nature of the supercharger and which phase of deployment it was constructed in influences the location. For example the first few might have been placed wherever they could find space to enable some form of interstate travel. The next round might have been focused on ensuring there are nearby amenities for a better experience. Now, we're in the 'fill in the gaps' phase with more of a focus on attention where overcrowding may happen or for drivers without ready access to home charging. I don't think you'd be able to tell which phase the supercharger you're going to visit was deployed or revitalized. Not to mention, the area around the superchargers are always changing too. But the reviews will help.

3. One location (Angola, IN) where I had to stop on a dark rainy evening was downright scary.
No lights, in the middle of nowhere.
No shopping nearby, and one (crappy) restaurant that was attached to a low quality Ramada restaurant.
It's pretty easy to find individual reviews for superchargers.
Check them out before your trip and plan accordingly.
One aspect to consider is the possibility of finding a restroom, so stop at a store (or a gas station... ) before going to the super charger

I would recommend also the following web site: Supercharger Reviews Videos!