Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger locations - why back-in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to know, I will certainly pay attention since I am visiting CA in couple of weeks :)

You really have to pay attention to the parking lots that said "head-in parking only" here. Because you could get ticket for it. The main reason they do that is that they could write ticket easier. They have camera to scan your license plate for measuring parking time and such. If you back in and don't have a front license plate (very common here), it will make the parking patrol do more work (they have to actually walk around your car) and since they are already walking they might as well write you a ticket for the trouble.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and arcus
1. Installation is easier and cheaper for existing parking lots since you don't have to tear up as much pavement.
2. Snow removal is much easier in snowy climates.
3. Reduces the chance for damage, just about every head in location has a couple of pedestals that have been run into.

I also park backing in many times and I consider myself to be very considerate to other people and not at all as you characterize back in parkers and has nothing to do with getting out a few seconds sooner.

Reactions: Rocky_H
As the song says:
Money money money money money money
Money money.

Having back-in stalls is cheaper. Having shorter cables is cheaper. Less likely to be damaged: cheaper.
The stanchions are off the pavement out of the way, so less space is required.

Actually for ICE cars without frunk, there is another reason for head in packing. You have to unload the shopping cart to your trunk, and nose out parking will make it more difficult.

This is very true, and I never thought about it until you mentioned it, but I never back in when parking at the grocery store, and access to the trunk is the reason.

Then when you're driving out you can see up and down the lane much better since you're facing forward - your neck can easily swivel from left to right in front of you. Unless you're an owl it doesn't do well left to right behind you.
I see a lot of people mentioning that in this thread. That definitely used to be true, but now that backup cameras are required in all cars, the opposite is true. My area is very much the land of big trucks and SUVs, so it's the test case with big vehicles next to you to block the view. When backed in and ready to pull out forward, you can only see what is line-of-sight from your eyes from the vantage point farther back in the passenger compartment of the car. Your eyes aren't out on the front bumper. It's an angle that can't see around the end of the big truck next to you. You don't really have a choice but to try inching forward blindly until you can directly see around it.

With the backup camera at the very back bumper of the car, and having a wide angle fish-eye lens on it, I can see all the way up and down the aisle when I'm about to back out before my car ever moves. So the answers about visibility are directly opposite, depending on whether you're talking about with or without a backup camera.

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
I see a lot of people mentioning that in this thread. That definitely used to be true, but now that backup cameras are required in all cars, the opposite is true. My area is very much the land of big trucks and SUVs, so it's the test case with big vehicles next to you to block the view. When backed in and ready to pull out forward, you can only see what is line-of-sight from your eyes from the vantage point farther back in the passenger compartment of the car. Your eyes aren't out on the front bumper. It's an angle that can't see around the end of the big truck next to you. You don't really have a choice but to try inching forward blindly until you can directly see around it.

With the backup camera at the very back bumper of the car, and having a wide angle fish-eye lens on it, I can see all the way up and down the aisle when I'm about to back out before my car ever moves. So the answers about visibility are directly opposite, depending on whether you're talking about with or without a backup camera.

However, if you're in a Supercharger stall, you're less likely (for now) to have a neighboring Behemoth.
In general pulling out forwards is a fast maneuver.

It also has a useful advantage that a person waiting for you to leave doesn't have to leave a car length for you to pull out, reducing the chance that there will have to be a line of cars back up to make room for you.

However, if you're in a Supercharger stall, you're less likely (for now) to have a neighboring Behemoth.
In general pulling out forwards is a fast maneuver.

It also has a useful advantage that a person waiting for you to leave doesn't have to leave a car length for you to pull out, reducing the chance that there will have to be a line of cars back up to make room for you.
Ah, right on. I'll certainly agree with those two points.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Military gets their guys into the habit of backing in. You won’t be parking while under fire, may be getting out of dodge while pulling away from a location.

I would love to park ICE in while charging with superchargers out in the opposite side of the stall. I couldn’t get towed. The plug is locked. Today in Whistler the supercharger was entirely iced save my spot.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Supercharger locations - why back-in?

Because Tesla in its infinite wisdom decided to have the charge port in the back to <drum roll> mimic ICE cars.

Most folks I know don't back into parking spots. IME, the types of folks that typically back into spots are typically self-important a-holes that don't mind how long it takes them to back into the spot (or how long they're blocking traffic in the parking lot) as long as they can get out a fraction of a second soone

Spot on. I have seen pompous Ass-oles taking their sweet time in a narrow multi-story parking lot trying to reverse park their huge SUVs, when there are 10 cars waiting behind to get in. And get this - in many places there are angled spots that expressly states that you cannot back-in. The problem is they need to cross the spot to back in, and more often the guy behind is already on his tail.

I know you are going to get many 'disagrees'. And me too for this post. And all those folks think they are smarter than 90% of drivers - scratch that 95% of drivers - in the US. Take *any* parking lot in the US and you will see over 99% of the cars will be nose-in. And these folks who disagree with you think those that park nose-in - which is 99% of drivers - are all bunch of idiots who don't know how to park, and they know better.

I am not buying the - 'oh it is unsafe to back-out' - nonsense. With the reverse wide angle camera in cars these days, it is perfectly safe to back-out.

It will be funny to see Teslas desperately trying to back-in - in angled parking lots which are mostly one-way - so that they can get closer to the charge pedestals.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Derek Kessler
With the reverse wide angle camera in cars these days, it is perfectly safe to back-out.

Perhaps, but there are literally millions and millions of cars on the road w/o back up cameras. It'll be a generation before they are all retired.

I have seen pompous Ass-oles taking their sweet time in a narrow multi-story parking lot trying to reverse park their huge SUVs, when there are 10 cars waiting behind to get in.

And how is that any different if he originally parked front in, but then had to back out to leave and there were 10 cars waiting for him to leave?

Perhaps, but there are literally millions and millions of cars on the road w/o back up cameras. It'll be a generation before they are all retired.

And how is that any different if he originally parked front in, but then had to back out to leave and there were 10 cars waiting for him to leave?
Lot different. Because when I back out I wait for the traffic to get quiet, unlike backing-in I don’t have a choice.

Last edited: