Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Los Angeles CA - Francisco Street (LIVE 6 Mar 2019, Hotel Indigo, Valet Only!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same. I do an initial estimate letting the car do the entire route and then I pick my stops based on what I prefer (and sometimes makes more sense). 2/3 of the current Tesla owners are relatively new and inexperienced with longer road trips. They are most likely to follow the car's suggestion. I hope Tesla will give this location lowest priority when routing people through LA.

I agree, your approach is the sensible thing to do, but you never want to design a UI that relies on the user being advanced and thorough. The default human behavior is laziness and ignorance. If you don't account for that in your UI, you're going to have users complaining and getting frustrated.

Last edited:
Reactions: mociaf9
Have any Model 3 owners used these chargers? I’m curious to know if they have to pay (Tesla) to charge. If they’re NOT charged it suggests these are destination chargers.
They are not “Destination Chargers”. See upthread. Someone talked their way into actually seeing them and they are “Urban” style (max 72kW) Superchargers. And in this thread people have posted screen captures of what is shown on the Tesla website “Find Us” page and it describes them that way. And I will do that again, here:

4998FF6B-7CCD-4E42-9428-5465792FBCC7.jpeg

And it showed up in my History which is how I know I have visited a Supercharger. I sadly paid way more than I needed to. My next stop was the Santa Clarita Sheriffs station to catch some Amps and Zzz's Didn't need to pay for those extra kWh's on a Supercharger, but it was the ONLY way they let you touch the station. Having them drive the car down and then you let them know when you are ready to pick it up, but there is NO reception at the charger so you cannot know when it starts charging nor when it's done. And you definitely cannot stop the charge remotely. Thus all the people asking if they charge Idle fees down there.

-Randy

They are not “Destination Chargers”. See upthread. Someone talked their way into actually seeing them and they are “Urban” style (max 72kW) Superchargers. And in this thread people have posted screen captures of what is shown on the Tesla website “Find Us” page and it describes them that way. And I will do that again, here:

View attachment 390147
Calm down. I know these are 72 kWh urban chargers. My point is that if Tesla is not charging idling fees or charging Model 3 owners to charge they might Be an enhanced form of a destination charge. If you know anything about downtown L. A. you would know there isn’t free parking anywhere, and the few “true” destination chargers are few in number and very slow. I am suggesting that Indigo paid/subsidized Tesla to install these urban chargers to attract business, such as restaurant patrons in addition to overnight guests for a quick charge while they eat at the restaurant.

Last edited:
Reactions: David99
The term “Destination Charger” has a specific meaning as used by Tesla. If you look on the Tesla Find Us page, for example at
Find Us | Tesla at the bottom of the page is a toggle to turn on and off the “Destination Charging” locations. Those locations have Tesla HPC (High Power Connector) AC chargers, which when located at a business (as opposed to a private residence) are called “Destination Chargers”. The business may restrict their use to “patrons only” or they may make them available to the public, it’s their choice.
Have any Model 3 owners used these chargers? I’m curious to know if they have to pay (Tesla) to charge. If they’re NOT charged it suggests these are destination chargers.
Your use of the term in your post (#83, the post I responded to) was incorrect, which is what I was pointing out. The chargers at the Indigo Hotel at not HPC Destination Chargers because they are Superchargers (DC) that are in fact open to all Tesla owners, regardless of the fact that you have to turn your car over to a valet to use them. You do not have to be a patron of the hotel to use them.

The term “Destination Charger” has a specific meaning as used by Tesla. If you look on the Tesla Find Us page, for example at
Find Us | Tesla at the bottom of the page is a toggle to turn on and off the “Destination Charging” locations. Those locations have Tesla HPC (High Power Connector) AC chargers, which when located at a business (as opposed to a private residence) are called “Destination Chargers”. The business may restrict their use to “patrons only” or they may make them available to the public, it’s their choice.

Your use of the term in your post (#83, the post I responded to) was incorrect, which is what I was pointing out. The chargers at the Indigo Hotel at not HPC Destination Chargers because they are Superchargers (DC) that are in fact open to all Tesla owners, regardless of the fact that you have to turn your car over to a valet to use them. You do not have to be a patron of the hotel to use them.
If (1) there are no idling fees, and (2) if Tesla is not charging Model 3 owners - I.e. those without free lifetime supercharger use - these seem to be a hybrid of a destination charger. I made an earlier reference to this unique possible arrangement earlier. My use of the term destination charger was meant to describe the hotel’s arrangement, not the hardware.

In the meantime, I’m still interested to know if any Model 3 owners are being charged by Tesla. The last time I looked on my nav screen the idling fee did not appear.

If (1) there are no idling fees, and (2) if Tesla is not charging Model 3 owners - I.e. those without free lifetime supercharger use - these seem to be a hybrid of a destination charger.
I see no reason why Tesla would not charge those who don’t have free unlimited Supercharging (there are many recent S/X owners who don’t have it) for using this Supercharger location. And so far we have no reports from this location that someone without free Supercharging was able to charge here for free.

I do understand why Tesla is apparently not charging an idle fee at this location since the car owners do not have direct access to the cars to move them quickly once charging is complete.

I see no reason why Tesla would not charge those who don’t have free unlimited Supercharging (there are many recent S/X owners who don’t have it) for using this Supercharger location. And so far we have no reports from this location that someone without free Supercharging was able to charge here for free.

I do understand why Tesla is apparently not charging an idle fee at this location since the car owners do not have direct access to the cars to move them quickly once charging is complete.
Let’s try this: can any Model 3 owner advise this forum if charges apply at this location. I don’t know if the nav screen on the 3 can provide this information without physically using these superchargers.

My characterization of this ONE site is that if (big IF) owners don’t pay idling or charging fees it seems to be a hybrid, a hybrid in the sense that it is a full-on urban supercharger located on a commercial site where one pays for parking but not the aforementioned fees. Anyone know of any other supercharger that doesn’t charge idling or charging fees (to Model 3 owners).

Similar 72 kWh chargers, like the Americana in nearby Glendale, involve parking fees (over one hour), AND have idling and charging fees. That is not the same as the situation at Indigo.

Seriously, has anyone seen a supercharger, 120 or 72 kWh, that doesn’t charge idling gees?

My characterization of this ONE site is that if (big IF) owners don’t pay idling or charging fees it seems to be a hybrid, a hybrid in the sense that it is a full-on urban supercharger located on a commercial site where one pays for parking but not the aforementioned fees. Anyone know of any other supercharger that doesn’t charge idling or charging fees (to Model 3 owners).
No such Supercharger location has been reported, to the best of my knowledge.

And as Randy pointed out, Model 3 owners pay to charge at this location just like other Tesla owners who don’t have free unlimited Supercharging.

Anybody else try out this location recently? I just read the whole thread and it appears no one ever found out if there's idle fees or not. Ironically 10 out of 10 stations are available as I type this message LOL
I used it about 10 days ago, but didn't stay long enough to learn about the idle fees. Seems like it wouldn't be too much trouble to call valet and tell them to move it when it gets full if you plan on staying longer.

Seems like it wouldn't be too much trouble to call valet and tell them to move it when it gets full if you plan on staying longer.
They told me *I* can tell them I want to get my car. I explained that I cannot see the status of my car because there is no WiFi or Cellular data in their basement, but they didn't have a response to that. Your key is actually kept at the Valet desk so the can't won't check it's status while they drop other cars off. Finally, they were sick of my gibber-jabber and took me to check (after saying MANY times that customers are not allowed) and the car WAS charged enough to register with Tesla as a charge, so I had the guy drive me back to the Valet desk. Weird all around.

Perhaps there will come a time, but it was just me and this lady and her kids with a Model X there, so no idle fees until the charger is closer to full.

-Randy