Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lost Hills, CA - Highway 46E (permit applied)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might be way too early but stumbled onto this planning submission in the Kern County System. Looks to be for some type of zoning change but the parcel number appears to lead to a 26+ acre piece of land on Highway 46 on the opposite (east) side of I5 from where the current site is not yet operational. Guessing they want to split off a piece and build a decent size charger here. 100 or so stalls. Ightnneed zoning change. Will be interesting to follow.
1700462976990.png1700462585991.png

So this is definitely going to be a big one. 3 additional permits have been applied for on this 26+ acre parcel. One valued at $2.7 million for BESS (Battery Energy Storage System) or Megapacks and one valued at $10.2 million for a PV microgrid and EV charging. The last permit is for grading.

1706593916400.png1706593930843.png1706593990917.png

Edit: the property owner has two adjacent parcels and has a planning application open related to them. Total acreage = 113!!!!
@Guacahummus @corywright @Big Earl

Last edited:
So this is definitely going to be a big one. 3 additional permits have been applied for on this 26+ acre parcel. One valued at $2.7 million for BESS (Battery Energy Storage System) or Megapacks and one valued at $10.2 million for a PV microgrid and EV charging. The last permit is for grading.

View attachment 1013495View attachment 1013496View attachment 1013497

Edit: the property owner has two adjacent parcels and has a planning application open related to them. Total acreage = 113!!!!
@Guacahummus @corywright @Big Earl

Looks like the owner had been trying to sell it as a "business park" location (looks more like a shipping distribution center, with a proposal of two buildings totaling 2 million sq ft) since 2021, judging from the Google Street View imagery: Google Maps But it seems there are new different plans afoot now, especially since the new permits have a 3500 Deer Creek Rd, Palo Alto address.

Looks like the owner had been trying to sell it as a "business park" location (looks more like a shipping distribution center, with a proposal of two buildings totaling 2 million sq ft) since 2021, judging from the Google Street View imagery: Google Maps But it seems there are new different plans afoot now, especially since the new permits have a 3500 Deer Creek Rd, Palo Alto address.
I just screenshotted the fee sheets for each permit. Here are the links that specifically name Tesla as the applicant and the description of the project.

Already a corrections letter and multiple fire review packages for the permits 1 week in. Moving right along.

Just found out about this at
I feel like we discovered the motherlode with this one 💥

I've been to the existing Supercharger across the highway and I'm not into to any of the food. We wanted to try that Taste of India joint but it was a dicey walk, though if the new charger location is accurate, that would probably 10x the restaurant's business. I think they cater to truckers currently.

That said, I'm still all about the Kettleman City In-n-Out Supercharger.

Why is this even needed here?
I at first said this when they put 56 chargers in Firebaugh, and again at Coalinga with 80 chargers, but here's the thing. Tesla is letting basically everyone use their chargers starting either this year or next year like 1100mcm said, and I've also found out that Tesla wants to max out the power companies capacity everywhere so if any competitor tries to come in and put chargers next to them it will be an extremely costly upgrade to the electrical grid.

I at first said this when they put 56 chargers in Firebaugh, and again at Coalinga with 80 chargers, but here's the thing. Tesla is letting basically everyone use their chargers starting either this year or next year like 1100mcm said, and I've also found out that Tesla wants to max out the power companies capacity everywhere so if any competitor tries to come in and put chargers next to them it will be an extremely costly upgrade to the electrical grid.
That’s probably the best argument I’ve heard for this, future NON Tesla expansion of usage. The last year of holidays what with the easily 250+ new ports from north of the grapevine to the Bay Area the wait times or wait at all have not been bad.

I wonder how Tesla will manage NON tesla users coming to charge? When these programs were introduced, it was mostly going to be MagicDock, and the stated allowable ports was reported to be 10% of Ports. Not sure if that is still going to be the policy. True NACS in other OEM vehicles won’t be here till sometime well into 2025. So, of course it’s adaptor and app activation for a specific SC port/stall. Again, not sure if they are going to limit that somehow during peak times or not. It certainly could be done technically, but might piss off more ppl than is warranted. They MIGHT just designate some areas of an overall SC for which ports are overall available for the adaptor to be used? Again, I don’t think we know.

As for power. I really doubt that a utility provider and state regulator is going to let ONE EV charging provider suck up all the available capacity and logistically box out other providers like EVGO, Electrify, ChargePoint, Blink, etc. I also imagine that Tesla (as is indicated for THIS future SC location) is going to make efforts to provide power from solar, onsite battery storage and drawing commercial power OFF PEAK or when renewables from the provider are in effect, so the absolute demand from the local grid should be less than one would just calculate for peak times. Even then, we’ve all been at V3 only locations during PEAK times and nobody really gets peak delivery regardless of SOC.

As for power, I met one of the property owners in Oregon, Tesla originally put a permit in for many more than the 8 chargers they were allowed for the location, and the power company ultimately limited them, so they maxed out the power company. He's the one that told me they are trying to do that in a lot of places.

While it's great having these Super-Sized installations, Tesla also needs to set up agreements with businesses to locate on site and provide site sanitary maintenance. Onsite Restrooms, garbage collection and grounds keeping at a minimum. Otherwise, they will quickly turn unsightly in today's throwaway society.

Reactions: AMPd
While it's great having these Super-Sized installations, Tesla also needs to set up agreements with businesses to locate on site and provide site sanitary maintenance. Onsite Restrooms, garbage collection and grounds keeping at a minimum. Otherwise, they will quickly turn unsightly in today's throwaway society.
What do you think the two large “future development areas” are for? If Tesla wanted to maximize charging capacity there would be no reason to leave large empty areas.

Reactions: David99
I think it will be…..and should always be first come first serve for any electric vehicle that arrives at a Tesla supercharger.
Adapters for now but, adapters will go the way of the dodo bird as manufacturers incorporate NACS ports into their vehicles. So superchargers will need to become ubiquitous throughout the country/world. When we see other manufactured vehicle owners arrive for a ‘Tesla Supercharge’ we should welcome them all. We’re all involved in this paradigm shift to clean, sustainable electric transportation. Tesla knows this better than anyone and they are on the double hustle to getting this done. I think back when I bought my Tesla and there were only six supercharger stations in the world with a new location opening up every once in a long while. Nowadays Tesla is opening up a new supercharger everyday or so.