Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lubbock (SC), TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent a couple requests for future EV charger information to the Lubbock city and tourism website. They’ll probably tell me to go back to California, but hey it’s worth a shot. At this point a 50kw public chademo station (that functions) would be nice.

You would think that EV America would locate one here too. Unfortunately they have copied the Tesla site locations, good and bad, and failed to recognize places like Lubbock which would attract all EV owners, Tesla and non-Tesla.

Reactions: HillCountryFun
I spoke with an anonymous person today that said Tesla had plans to put chargers in Lubbock a couple years ago, they even had land leased but the hosting business owner refused to allow them to install chargers. When they approached other businesses about installing chargers they get hit with higher than acceptable rent/lease fees.

So if y’all want a charger in Lubbock, I suggest we start emailing local businesses and request for them to work with Tesla to install chargers.

I can think of a few good candidates:

West Target in Canyon West shopping center
North Pilot Truck Stop
Very North Loves Travel Center (probably too far north)
South Holiday inn, La Quinta, super 8 (there’s not much else within walking distance though)
Any of the 6 Walmart’s

I tend to think that places that are along a highway, are open 24hours, have access to bathrooms and sell drinks and snacks to be the best options, but I’d be happy with anything at this point.

I spoke with an anonymous person today that said Tesla had plans to put chargers in Lubbock a couple years ago, they even had land leased but the hosting business owner refused to allow them to install chargers. When they approached other businesses about installing chargers they get hit with higher than acceptable rent/lease fees.

There was a utility survey done at the Buddy Holly Center on Crickets Ave and 18th over 2 years ago. Given the lack of progress since then, your story is probably correct.

So if y’all want a charger in Lubbock, I suggest we start emailing local businesses and request for them to work with Tesla to install chargers.

I can think of a few good candidates:

West Target in Canyon West shopping center
North Pilot Truck Stop
Very North Loves Travel Center (probably too far north)
South Holiday inn, La Quinta, super 8 (there’s not much else within walking distance though)
Any of the 6 Walmart’s

I tend to think that places that are along a highway, are open 24hours, have access to bathrooms and sell drinks and snacks to be the best options, but I’d be happy with anything at this point.

Great idea, I’ll send some out and post the locations afterwards!

Email from South Plains Mall about Level 2 charging.

Attachments

• 5DE5C09D-6BE6-4161-8C50-848EABA6AED9.jpeg
    5DE5C09D-6BE6-4161-8C50-848EABA6AED9.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Helpful
Reactions: corywright
Malls are all very impaired right now. Their occupancy levels are horrible and they are all losing money. I don't see them making many capital intensive projects until the public health emergency is over.

Agreed. Couldn't hurt to ask though, or at least put a bug in their ear about it. They're going to be looking for ways to increase customer traffic now and especially after the "end of the world" is over.

Malls are all very impaired right now. Their occupancy levels are horrible and they are all losing money. I don't see them making many capital intensive projects until the public health emergency is over.

Maybe they should partner with Volta like Simon Malls has done so far. Not sure how much investment it takes but I would assume it's less than other EV charging solutions since the Ad-support is what pays for the chargers.

Volta Charging - The Most Utilized EV Charging Stations

New Opening is targeted at 2022 via Tesla Supercharger map

Sigh, this is disappointing.

Hey Elon, Its lonely here on the back burner!

Unrelated question: What would happen if 100 Tesla M3/MY's traveled north from Midland to Amarillo TX, and left Midland with 100% charge, and they all ran out of battery around Plainview? What would happen if they all called tesla road side at the same time, for running out of battery???? Think anyone would get the hint?

Reactions: HillCountryFun
There are a couple new Circle K service stations going in according to TDLR project search.

I’ve sent an email to CKs customer service and vender departments asking them to consider contacting Tesla about installing DCFCs. If anyone wants to do the same....

Contact | Circle K

Vendor Request Form | Circle K

CK has a mixed history on EVs, first they say EVs will never be popular, and now they’re installing chargers all over Norway.

Maybe Lubbock can get some love soon.

Not sure if it means anything but I just had Tesla Mobile service come by and the invoice I received shows a Tesla address in Lubbock on N Quaker. I live in Abilene, TX and the service tech was out of Plano, TX.

Address on my Tesla Service invoice.
Tesla, Inc.
2213 N Quaker Ave
Lubbock, TX, US, 79416

I heard rumblings from my Tesla advisor in Ft Worth that they may or may not have plans for Tesla Service Center / Gallery and Supercharge in Lubbock but he couldn't officially talk about. That happened in the last week of January 2021.

I looked that address up and at least according to Google Maps and it didn't show anything interesting there. I would at least love a Supercharger in Lubbock. We have family in Levelland that we visit regularly and it would be nice to fast charge if needed while in Lubbock instead of using the Public Level 2 charger at Best Buy.

Lubbock is in a prime spot between I-20 and I-40 to host a Supercharger.

Not sure if it means anything but I just had Tesla Mobile service come by and the invoice I received shows a Tesla address in Lubbock on N Quaker. I live in Abilene, TX and the service tech was out of Plano, TX.

Tesla, Inc.
2213 N Quaker Ave
Lubbock, TX, US, 79416

I heard rumblings from my Tesla advisor in Ft Worth that they may or may not have plans for Tesla Service Center / Gallery and Supercharge in Lubbock but he couldn't officially talk about. That happened in the last week of January 2021.

I looked that address up and at least according to Google Maps and it didn't show anything interesting there. I would at least love a Supercharger in Lubbock. We have family in Levelland that we visit regularly and it would be nice to fast charge if needed while in Lubbock instead of using the Public Level 2 charger at Best Buy.

That is very promising indeed. A service center in Lubbock would cover Amarillo, Lubbock, Midland, Odessa. That is a significant population base and cover the gap in Supercharging. It is frustrating having to go to San Antonio or Ft. Worth for service.

Reactions: reddy

Tesla, Inc.
2213 N Quaker Ave
Lubbock, TX, US, 79416

As much as I would love this to happen, this looks like a storage unit where Tesla keeps spare parts for the Ranger. They probably have an arrangement with the AAA storage company there to act as a mail stop too.

Self Storage rental North West Lubbock Texas (aaa-storage.co)

I scan the Lubbock permit database a couple times a week for Tesla, and a permit for a service center would show up if it's in city limits.

So far, no supercharger , or anything else is showing up.

I was at the Ft. Worth service center last Monday and mentioned Lubbock and the service advisor responded they were in Lubbock recently scouting locations. He said he didn't know what type of facility they were looking at for Lubbock, but they are looking. Now, anyone that has been following Tesla knows that may translate into years. But at least they are actively looking. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯