Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lynchburg, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked for a permit online, but since that Sheetz location isn't technically within the city boundaries of Lynchburg, the permit for any work there would be issued by Campbell County--who, so far as I can tell, doesn't publish their permitting records.

I looked for a permit online, but since that Sheetz location isn't technically within the city boundaries of Lynchburg, the permit for any work there would be issued by Campbell County--who, so far as I can tell, doesn't publish their permitting records.
Thanks for looking. Keep your eyes peeled for anything that'll prove its a supercharger location. Crates with Tesla markings, concrete pourings for pedestals, signs, etc. The outline for the pedestal layout is usually visible within a few days of construction start. Being a Sheetz location already increases the odds you are right.

The fact that it states Tesla charger has me excited ;)
You can request it through the Freedom of Information act. I've attached a copy that they sent me (they turned it around within 2 business days, pretty impressive).

Google maps hasn't updated since they remodeled the store, but here's where the chargers will be located. It's away from the pumps and to the side of the store, there's less chance of ICEing as a result.
Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 6.15.15 PM.png

@BlueShift , @Chuq , @tes-s - we have confirmation. Permit date is 6/25/2019. I'd mark construction start based on first post above (7/15/2019).

Great find and sleuthing @swengl, you should become part of the hunter crowd.
Thanks! This one was in my backyard and I actually petitioned Sheetz to put one at the location when they tore the store down to completely renovate the site. There's only a Wendy's (next door) within walking distance on a busy road, but it is in a dead zone for high level charging so this should be a welcome addition along the Route 29 corridor. Next up, Danville?

The fact that it states Tesla charger has me excited ;)

You can request it through the Freedom of Information act. I've attached a copy that they sent me (they turned it around within 2 business days, pretty impressive).
Nice! The two other things on the permit besides just being called Tesla EVCS that point to it as a supercharger and not just destination chargers are that the applicant was GPD Group--who is one of Tesla's main partners for design and engineering work on superchargers--and that in the zoning comments section there is a question about the type of permit needed because of the "cabinets". But given the supercharger partnership with Sheetz, this was really just bonus confirmation.

Reactions: swengl
This is absolutely HUGE! And strange, because I just drove by here on Sunday and somehow missed the construction...although it was getting pretty late and I still had 3 hours or so to go. The drawback of this Sheetz is that it is a bit tight on parking for a Sheetz.

Even though I did find that I could make it home to Durham from Mt. Jackson (much less Staunton), this cuts down the distance to a mere 125 miles which really expands my options between I-81 in Staunton and Durham, NC. Very welcome news indeed!

I love the fact that Sheetz "gets it" and are positioning themselves as an EV charging destination.

Stopped by this morning and spoke with the guys working on the site. It will be an 8 stall charger and they are the same crew that put up the Salem SuC. They are making nice progress. They already have at least 3 of the bases for the units in the ground and in the other picture you can see 4 more ready to go. They have already started the form for the wiring trench. The completion will probably be held up by the pedestals (like Salem), but this crew is out of Virginia and already has a few installs under their belts. They couldn't (wouldn't) tell me where they were heading next, it was worth asking.
IMG_5668.jpg
IMG_5669.jpg

This is absolutely HUGE! And strange, because I just drove by here on Sunday and somehow missed the construction...although it was getting pretty late and I still had 3 hours or so to go. The drawback of this Sheetz is that it is a bit tight on parking for a Sheetz.

Even though I did find that I could make it home to Durham from Mt. Jackson (much less Staunton), this cuts down the distance to a mere 125 miles which really expands my options between I-81 in Staunton and Durham, NC. Very welcome news indeed!

I love the fact that Sheetz "gets it" and are positioning themselves as an EV charging destination.
I agree, I made sure Sheetz customer service knew how much the EV community appreciates their direction.

Reactions: Cyb_ and Thinkje