Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mackinaw City, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if anyone has hit this supercharger on a holiday travel day and if there has been a wait. I can get by stopping at the Supercharger location in Gaylord but a stop in Mackinac City would give me more flexibility. In the UP a stop near Newberry would also be helpful.

Just curious if anyone has hit this supercharger on a holiday travel day and if there has been a wait. I can get by stopping at the Supercharger location in Gaylord but a stop in Mackinac City would give me more flexibility. In the UP a stop near Newberry would also be helpful.
I'd be very surprised if you had an issue here. I don't recall seeing many Teslas at all in Northern Michigan. I think I've been alone every time I charged at Gaylord.

Reactions: 21EV

the Mackinaw Superchargers are 250 W, I think. Fast charging. I would use them rather than Gaylord.

Newberry is magical thinking. I don’t think it’s is even in Tesla’s plan.

Reactions: 21EV
the Mackinaw Superchargers are 250 W, I think. Fast charging. I would use them rather than Gaylord.

Newberry is magical thinking. I don’t think it’s is even in Tesla’s plan.
Awesome, 250kW helps and I just confirmed through the power of the internet.

1618705845680.png

Also, I was thinking Newberry because you’d get traffic taking the East-West (or West-East) northern route across the UP between SSM and Marquette. While it doesn’t appear on the list it doesn’t hurt to suggest it!

Yeah I saw this a couple days ago. The other 7 chargers all had their plugs out of the holsters and were down on the ground. I put them back in the holsters. Not sure what that was about. Could possibly be intentional vandalism. However, Occam's Razor might suggest the most likely culprit is the old "I thought it was in drive but it was in reverse" phenomenon :)

I was kicked off this supercharger siding onto the Macinac Ferry parking lot by the attendant. I had just plugged in my Tesla Model S for less than 5 min.

Only option seemed to be to buy a ferry ticket which I didn't want to do.

Fortunately, I was able to charge on the hotel side.

I thought Tesla owns and operates the chargers with agreement from the property owners. If the property owners make it difficult for you to park on their property, they in effect will own the chargers.

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I was kicked off this supercharger siding onto the Macinac Ferry parking lot by the attendant. I had just plugged in my Tesla Model S for less than 5 min.

Only option seemed to be to buy a ferry ticket which I didn't want to do.

Fortunately, I was able to charge on the hotel side.

I thought Tesla owns and operates the chargers with agreement from the property owners. If the property owners make it difficult for you to park on their property, they in effect will own the chargers.

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
I have been hassled a bit there. I also park on the non hotel side. Zoom off in my one wheel for 20-30 min to charge. Go down by the Coast Guard ship museum. When I came back the parking attendant started with the hassle. I smiled. Said, How can I help? By not parking on that side. We don't know if you are staying or trying to sneak free parking. I explained that most parking here for the day could be in for a rude awakening at $1.00 a minute overage. Still not understanding.

Said OK. Have a nice day. I still park on that side. I am pretty non confrontational, but power trippers from lawn chairs I can usually hug with kindness. Must be end of the season crankiness. Also rarely when I am there is the lot even close to been full. Miss the old Tesla destination charger by the Marina. Put a couple bucks in the slot bye the cop shop. No one even knew what they were back then.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
It definitely seems petty of them to care, but why park on the wrong side when they are asking you not to?
Quite simply I have not had more than that one attendant snipe at me. So there is no they in this situation. She hasn't been around. If it was posted sure, but the other attendant is a gentleman in his late 70's I got him coffee we spoke about my one wheel. He seemed to not to care about anything.

Maybe envision an overzealous Walmart greeter. They exist, but not long at Walmart.

Quite simply I have not had more than that one attendant snipe at me. So there is no they in this situation. She hasn't been around. If it was posted sure, but the other attendant is a gentleman in his late 70's I got him coffee we spoke about my one wheel. He seemed to not to care about anything.

Maybe envision an overzealous Walmart greeter. They exist, but not long at Walmart.
Why are you so adamant about parking on the wrong side though? (The Tesla signs indicate which sign you are intended to park on.)

Why are you so adamant about parking on the wrong side though? (The Tesla signs indicate which sign you are intended to park on.)
Ok. Where does it say this is wrong side? If there are two other Tesla's on the same side as me, why me? They also must be wrong. Signs are not posted as to not park there. Also the stalls align with the stripes on both sides. Come on. Your telling me that of all the double sided superchargers you always parked on the side with the sign?

I have been to this super charger 15 times plus. One occurrence. Seems like a bad apple.

Adamant no, as I have parked on the other side. It seems like you would like an answer I am not providing. It's almost if you're saying that I'm going up each time and waving my finger at someone saying I'm parking here whether you like it or not, which is not the case.

I am patron almost almost all supercharging hosts, but I will not be a hostage to a disgruntled employee. A parking attendant is to attend. Job. Make sure I don't do what she said. Which is go to island and not pay. I don't. If I do intend to go to island I pay then move my car after charging.

Quite simple.

Last edited:
Tesla Supercharger seems to be in fact located on Star Line ferry property as shown below. This would mean that Tesla has an agreement with Starline Ferries.

I have emailed Tesla to notify them of this issue and posted a 1 Star review on Starline ferries for this problematic encounter, which apparently is not isolated.

Attachments

• chrome_screenshot_1665630060185.png
    chrome_screenshot_1665630060185.png
    310.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
See an old photo. See the blue car. Not me. Don't stripe it that way, and put up no parking signs. Maybe put boulders up as well. View attachment 863267
This photo shows the Tesla signs indeed facing the opposite direction from the blue car and the car taking the photo.

I’ve also charged here, and pulling up on the side where the blue car is means that the charging cable on the wrong side of the car, away from the charging port, and that’s clearly not the way Superchargers were intended to be used.

What’s different about this installation is that there’s parking on both sides of the chargers, but simply using them the way that every other Supercharger is intended to be used would eliminate this “issue”.

The ferry line indeed does control the spots on the back side of the Superchargers, and they want all of that parking to be available to their guests.

Signage from the ferry line indicating this fact would help.

Last edited:
Tesla Supercharger seems to be in fact located on Star Line ferry property as shown below. This would mean that Tesla has an agreement with Starline Ferries.

I have emailed Tesla to notify them of this issue and posted a 1 Star review on Starline ferries for this problematic encounter, which apparently is not isolated.
Complaining to Tesla and dissing the ferry line because of your misunderstanding of the installation and the ferry line’s desire to protect their property is….unfortunate, to say the least.

Maybe instead contact the ferry line and suggest that they install signage. That way everyone gets what they want and nobody else would encounter the situation you did!