Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mackinaw City, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No problem during the winter times. Unfortunately I did not get a photo of the other side of pedestals to see if there is a different sign.

IMG_0743.jpeg

Reactions: Thp3 and StanMI
Complaining to Tesla and dissing the ferry line because of your misunderstanding of the installation and the ferry line’s desire to protect their property is….unfortunate, to say the least.

Maybe instead contact the ferry line and suggest that they install signage. That way everyone gets what they want and nobody else would encounter the situation you did!
Tesla clearly states the supercharger is located on Star Line property. That's a fact. Either Tesla or Starline is incorrect. Hence the feedback to both companies.

Perhaps the unfortunate misunderstanding is yours?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: PLUS EV
Tesla clearly states the supercharger is located on Star Line property. That's a fact. Perhaps the unfortunate misunderstanding is yours?
I’m not the person who parked on the wrong side of the chargers and ignored the signage so…. 🤷‍♂️

All of the Superchargers at Meijer stores are technically also on Meijer property. If you had a bad experience at one of those Superchargers would you post an ugly review of Meijer?!?

Last edited:
Tesla Supercharger seems to be in fact located on Star Line ferry property as shown below. This would mean that Tesla has an agreement with Starline Ferries.

I have emailed Tesla to notify them of this issue and posted a 1 Star review on Starline ferries for this problematic encounter, which apparently is not isolated.

Tesla clearly states the supercharger is located on Star Line property. See my later post and attachment. Perhaps the misunderstanding is yours?
The map shows it to be on the hotel side.
SmartSelect_20221013_074036_Firefox.jpg
Though how to get there via parking lots is undefined.
SmartSelect_20221013_074322_Firefox.jpg

I’m not the person who parked on the wrong side of the chargers and ignored the signage so…. 🤷‍♂️

All of the Superchargers at Meijer stores are technically also on Meijer property. If you had a bad experience at one of those Superchargers would you post an ugly review of Meijer?!?
I followed my Tesla navigation and the Tesla website to the Starline property for Supercharging. So I don't see the error on my part.

Quite possibly Starline is in breach of their contract with Tesla. In any case, I've asked for clarification through communication with Tesla.

If Meier insisted I buy $100 worth of groceries to use their property for supercharging, yes I would complain.

But good on you to uphold the authority of the tiny signs!

• Disagree
Reactions: PLUS EV
@Zcd1 Well went and did that. Spoke to manager. Wanted clarification of issue, or is this a one off occurrence. She explained that sometimes that lot will fill to the other side of the chargers. We would need you to move to other side if full or close. She also said shouldn't be an issue and would work with employees on when and how to deal with the issue. Also she noted they plow the spot in the winter.

We also chatted about potential signage, and the potential opening up to other makers that could necessitate stranger plugging in arraignments. Which in this case would be ideal as other cars plug in differently, and the design would be more accommodating than some SC's. She was aware of other makers as she had seen them at a Meijer.

Ferry line has been great partners for many years prior to the Supercharger site. Even have a funny April fools joke about a Tesla powered ferry on their facebook page. Manager mentioned a number of the employees own Tesla's. Think the owner or one of owns an X. Would remove the diss. Not sure it helps in this case.

Side note about 30% of the plugshare photos have people on the wrong side. Also saw someone with a trailer charging on the right side, and thought how great one could charge on the other side as they were blocking almost all the stalls. I think that Starline really doesn't care unless it's a busy day.

Last edited:
Reactions: FMinMI
That is the closest street address from which the chargers are accessible (hotel main entrance does not connect to side parking).
Does the car nav continue to show the GPS destination waypoint once in the parking lot?
I think the person that had an issue might have pulled into the ferry entrance. Which brings you up to an attendant. Which would lead to a conversation. We need you to pay. I have never done that. I pull in right next to the transformer.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
I think the person that had an issue might have pulled into the ferry entrance. Which brings you up to an attendant. Which would lead to a conversation. We need you to pay. I have never done that. I pull in right next to the transformer.
That's also the entrance for the north side of the hotel? If so, it puts you on the sign facing side of the chargers.

That's also the entrance for the north side of the hotel? If so, it puts you on the sign facing side of the chargers.
Which is fine. Like many I like to space out. If anyone follows my travels, I often have a dog, a bed and ton of crap in my car.
PXL_20220207_210033070.MP.jpg
Like live in it for a month or so. If the opportunity to not have someone staring at me from another stall I will take it. Also to not stare at the side of a junk motel is nice. I take it as a one off, and if I thought it was busy(never has been for me) I would more than likely be at the Marina chargers.

Edit add: just go to plug share if you want to see all the photos.

Last edited:
Which is fine. Like many I like to space out. If anyone follows my travels, I often have a dog, a bed and ton of crap in my car.
View attachment 863450
Like live in it for a month or so. If the opportunity to not have someone staring at me from another stall I will take it. Also to not stare at the side of a junk motel is nice. I take it as a one off, and if I thought it was busy(never has been for me) I would more than likely be at the Marina chargers.
Sure sure, just trying to confirm the site layout.

Reactions: outdoors
Managed to snap a few pics on the return leg of my trip through Macinaw.
20221013_110521.jpg

Superchargers are on Star Ferry property based on the painted parking lines.

There is signage on the Star Ferry Side saying 'Paid parking only. Charge on other side'.

Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions.

The question remains as to what prevents a property owner from charging access to the supercharging network? Which Star Ferrries is essentially doing, yet they volunteered their site as a Tesla Supercharger host.

20221013_115219.jpg

Managed to snap a few pics on the return leg of my trip through Macinaw. View attachment 863462
Superchargers are on Star Ferry property based on the painted parking lines.

There is signage on the Star Ferry Side saying 'Paid parking only. Charge on other side'.

Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions.

The question remains as to what prevents a property owner from charging access to the supercharging network? Which Star Ferrries is essentially doing, yet they volunteered their site as a Tesla Supercharger host.

View attachment 863464
It's a shared parking lot. Charger parking is on hotel's property. There is also an entrance/exit to that section from Huron Street, so Star Ferry can't charge for access.

Actually lot is all Starline. Cheboygan county GIS has all the information. So both sides are private property, but they being Starline(hosts)are choosing which side they want you to be on. Those signs are new to me, hadn't seen them before.
View attachment 863480
Ha, I had looked at the same map but drew different conclusion (possibly biased from Google maps property view). The Cheboygan line data is obviously offset south, question is by how much. Streetview does show a color change between the hotel parking and main lot, so it could be Star's...
Guess we need to send you with a metal detector and theodolite
SmartSelect_20221013_152846_Maps.jpg

Reactions: outdoors
"Charge on other side" says it all. Not sure why the lengthy discussion.

As for having to pay for parking, there are some SuC sites that require that. You either pay or go elsewhere - sometimes Tesla cannot negotiate a 'free' lot to install the SuCs. Sad but true...

Reactions: Big Earl
Actually lot is all Starline. Cheboygan county GIS has all the information. So both sides are private property, but they being Starline(hosts)are choosing which side they want you to be on. Those signs are new to me, hadn't seen them before.
View attachment 863480
That explanation is good enough for me.
If Starline owns the whole lot, on both sides of the supercharger, yes, I agree they can choose where to have people charge.

It originally seemed to me that they were forcing Tesla charging traffic on their hotel 'neighbors'.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors and mongo