Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Maple Grove, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t usually get up to Maple Grove but I was nearby today so figured I would check it out. I go right past the Bloomington location a couple times a week but I think there are other TMC peeps in the twin cities that do as well - when it does go live TMC members will know about it pretty quick.

The irony is I seriously doubt I’d ever use any of the metro area superchargers as it’s more convienient and less expensive to charge at home. We’re just keeping other TMC readers up to date.
I agree that I probably won’t use this site myself very often since I only live 8 miles from it, but I really like having it there if needed. I don’t drive much, so I keep my SOC around 55% for battery health. This seems to have helped push my indicated max range back up to 300 or so (309 when new in 2019). Last year I was charging to 70-80% mostly and my indicated range dipped all the way down to 268 miles. Not sure if there really is a correlation, but I like seeing “300” vs 268.
My concern is that sitting at 55%, a family emergency might occur and I suddenly need to drive a longer distance. When we only had the Oakdale SC, this was a much bigger concern. Now, I will have no worry about it.
I hope I covered this site’s construction phase well for everyone here. Bloomington was covered pretty well. And it looks like Monticello will be as well. Hopefully North Branch and Two Harbors will be as well.
Hopefully our site power here will be turned on soon. I hope to get by here once more in the next couple days to check.
It will be interesting to see the utilization here. The SLP charger seems to be busy all the time now. The new Tempe SC by my AZ (winter) place just opened a few weeks ago and there are already a bunch of complaints about it often being full!

I agree that I probably won’t use this site myself very often since I only live 8 miles from it, but I really like having it there if needed. I don’t drive much, so I keep my SOC around 55% for battery health. This seems to have helped push my indicated max range back up to 300 or so (309 when new in 2019). Last year I was charging to 70-80% mostly and my indicated range dipped all the way down to 268 miles. Not sure if there really is a correlation, but I like seeing “300” vs 268.
My concern is that sitting at 55%, a family emergency might occur and I suddenly need to drive a longer distance. When we only had the Oakdale SC, this was a much bigger concern. Now, I will have no worry about it.
I hope I covered this site’s construction phase well for everyone here. Bloomington was covered pretty well. And it looks like Monticello will be as well. Hopefully North Branch and Two Harbors will be as well.
Hopefully our site power here will be turned on soon. I hope to get by here once more in the next couple days to check.
It will be interesting to see the utilization here. The SLP charger seems to be busy all the time now. The new Tempe SC by my AZ (winter) place just opened a few weeks ago and there are already a bunch of complaints about it often being full!
It seems the SLP charger gets busy after 9pm.I haven't checked in the 8pm hour recently, but I suspect the reason it's busy in the 9pm hour is because of the TOU rate structure used there and the fact that it is the last hour of the day that Target is open.

Reactions: DeepBlueMN
It seems the SLP charger gets busy after 9pm.I haven't checked in the 8pm hour recently, but I suspect the reason it's busy in the 9pm hour is because of the TOU rate structure used there and the fact that it is the last hour of the day that Target is open.
The SLP charger is getting busy more frequently. I live about a half mile away and we do our shopping at the Target & Byerly's, so I get to scope it out regularly. Last week (Tuesday?) in the middle of the day it was full and there were two more Tesla's waiting for spots to open up. OTOH, there have been times where it was full as I went into Byerly's, and by the time I came back, say, 20 minutes later, it was empty. So, it comes & goes in waves. But it seems the full waves are happening more and more. That, of course, correlates with how many Tesla's one sees now when driving about, which is a good thing. Imagine what it will be like two years from now.

Probably not. Been like this for at least a couple weeks. Need a second meter before they power up. Probably nothing will change until Bloomington gets its transformer. Then, Tesla would likely commission both at the same time.
EDIT: I see that Bloomington did just get its transformer, so who knows…

Last edited:
No charge as of Sept 2nd. Weird because it looks ready, and there is no signage saying it's not working. There are a couple non Tesla chargers too. Interesting. Arbor Lakes area of Maple grove would be a much better location.
Disagree on the location point…
Arbor Lakes is way too crowded, and surprisingly difficult to get in and out of; just too many cars and too many slow traffic lights. I avoid that area like the plague. :)
The Target location is way more convenient for MN-610 and I-94 access, which is the primary reason for a good charger location on the fringe of a major metro area.
However, for locals, and for more food choices, Arbor Lakes certainly would have been better. Arbor Lakes DOES need more convenient L2 charging (which aligns better with food, shopping, and entertainment choices).