Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mojave, CA - Sierra Hwy (LIVE 18 Aug 2022, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if they were all supposed to be on the same side, but some were installed facing incorrectly? Having eight and two seems too weird to be intentional. Anything different about the two on the left, or the places with gaps on the right? ADA stalls need extra space between them, and could result in some spaces being placed on the "far side" to make room.
They all seem to be installed the same. My guess is the restaurant complained, and they wanted to force people to park on the other side, but the person who did it had to 1) accommodate the ADA stall and 2) perhaps also had no common sense.

Randy, you've asked this question for a number of sites. I do not know why this site or others are marked as temporarily closed. Based upon the locations I've seen, perhaps Tesla is trying to steer people to selected locations and keep charging or repair costs down by limiting access.

It seems that there are other Superchargers proximate to the ones that Tesla has labeled as temporarily closed. That is my wild ass guess, and I am likely wrong.

This time of year is the "shoulder season," between winter activities and summer travel. Maybe Tesla has enough data to determine that they can shut down certain locations for varying periods and not risk interminable waits for travelers.

I did charge here on Thursday evening around 7:30.

I was there this past Friday, and still no markings on which side to park on in order to charge. Unfortunately, it looks like someone got overly-frustrated with the stupidity of this set-up, and kicked off one of the plexiglass blockers. Pieces of it were laying on the floor next to the pedestal.

If they just do 6 on one side, and 6 on the other, this would be easy to figure out.

Not sure if you all noticed, but Mojave also has a new "coming soon" pin for Q3 2023. So that means a third location in Mojave and a new location in Bishop as well.

I'd like to see some Fast charging in Kernville. But that's probably just me.

Edit: Ok, sorry, looks like there has been a third "coming soon" off and on for awhile. Apparently, folks say the pin vanished, which is why I didn't see it, but now it's back again. Strange.

Last edited:
Interesting that the pin reappeared, or did it never go away? Anyway, I just checked the permit status and there has been no activity since 11/10/2022 when the permit was issued. I drove by a couple of weeks ago, and there is not even the slightest hint of activity at that site (behind the Thai restaurant).

I was there this past Friday, and still no markings on which side to park on in order to charge. Unfortunately, it looks like someone got overly-frustrated with the stupidity of this set-up, and kicked off one of the plexiglass blockers. Pieces of it were laying on the floor next to the pedestal.

If they just do 6 on one side, and 6 on the other, this would be easy to figure out.
We were there a couple months ago and it looked like someone had punched through the plexiglass to make a hole for the cable to come out. They really need a sign or something.

We were there a couple months ago and it looked like someone had punched through the plexiglass to make a hole for the cable to come out. They really need a sign or something.
If a person is that dense to punch a hole in what clearly restricts access from one side, I do not have any confidence that a sign is a solution. Perhaps a three-inch tall and 1/2" wide horizontal iron bar that is flush with the plug might do the trick.

Reactions: Big Earl
If a person is that dense to punch a hole in what clearly restricts access from one side, I do not have any confidence that a sign is a solution. Perhaps a three-inch tall and 1/2" wide horizontal iron bar that is flush with the plug might do the trick.
Agreed. A sign is not the solution, but neither are other barriers. The frustrations here are understandable, even if the vandalism is not. It is impossible to tell which stalls to pull into while parking. This can only be discerned by getting out of the car, walking to the stall to see which side to be on, get back in the car, and move to the correct side. The randomness of how they are trying to manage this is beyond stupid.

There is probably a more practical solution for this. I am sure this started by everyone parking just on one side, frustrating the Weinerschnitzel who lost all their parking. Again, they could start by making it 6 consecutive stalls on one side, and 6 on the other. Then, they could turn the "Tesla" light on just for the correct side (black out the non-usable side).

Existing signage and charger placement within the parking spaces indicate that charging is to be done from the Best Western side of the stalls. Whoever put plexiglass on half of the stalls is causing confusion. Install "NO CHARGING" signs on the restaurant side and/or put plexiglass on all of the stalls on the restaurant side.

979874.jpg

photo from PlugShare

Existing signage and charger placement within the parking spaces indicate that charging is to be done from the Best Western side of the stalls. Whoever put plexiglass on half of the stalls is causing confusion. Install "NO CHARGING" signs on the restaurant side and/or put plexiglass on all of the stalls on the restaurant side.

979874.jpg

photo from PlugShare

That arrangement (plug in from the Best Western side) was not at all obvious the time we visited here. In addition, many people (including myself) drove the wrong way down the aisle where the charging spaces are and had to figure out how to get turned around to face the right way to back in to the angled spaces. Some of this stuff looks obvious when there's only one car there, but if most of the spaces are full it takes a bit of thought to get the lay of the land because you can't see everything.

Better signage is probably a good idea, but I'd favor some markings on the ground in addition.

Bruce.

photo from PlugShare

That arrangement (plug in from the Best Western side) was not at all obvious the time we visited here. In addition, many people (including myself) drove the wrong way down the aisle where the charging spaces are and had to figure out how to get turned around to face the right way to back in to the angled spaces. Some of this stuff looks obvious when there's only one car there, but if most of the spaces are full it takes a bit of thought to get the lay of the land because you can't see everything.

Better signage is probably a good idea, but I'd favor some markings on the ground in addition.

Bruce.

It was not obvious when you were last there, because this is new. When I last charged there, just weeks ago, some of the signs pointed towards the "restaurant" (a very generous term to use for Wienerschnitzel), and others pointed toward the hotel. They were random, with plexiglass placed on various sides to make someone charge on one side or the other, with the signs sometimes, but not always, matching the side to charge on. This is MUCH better.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
The one near me on Hegenberger in Oakland is the same setup, the easy way to tell which side to park on is by seeing a bunch of Teslas on one side, the McDonalds side. That doesn't stop people from parking and charging from the other side. I park on the other side when I use the Planet Fitness just to confuse people, but it can also be useful for Teslas pulling a trailer as it's not a very busy lot. No one has put up the stupid plastic barrier that you can't see until you have gotten outta the car. Sheesh!

For those of you who are following, the 3rd Mojave site, Mojave Thai (really, Mojave Workz) it’s finally under construction.

Reactions: shadowmyst87