Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mountain View, CA - Grant Rd (under construction, 32 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the info. This seems to be a common problem on the Bay Area Peninsula since I know of at least 3 new Supercharger installs all bagged up and waiting to go. Is this common over all of the Bay Area? All of California? All of the country?
At the risk of stating the obvious it doesn't help with the supposed "shortage of charging infra-structure" if the Utility companies don't connect them up after they have been installed for months and months and months.....
In California it is especially hard because many are replaced due to wildfires. I believe the backlog I have mentioned elsewhere is not a bad but PG&E still seems to be lagging behind other utilities for whatever reason. Maybe it’s just the sheer number needed.

Here's a little closer look. That conduit/channel will hold the bus bars that carry 4000 amperes from the utility transformer to Tesla's equipment. At smaller sites the conductors go underground between the transformer and Tesla cabinet.

But for now, we wait for PG&E to install the transformer. And wait. And wait.

View attachment 966938View attachment 966939
Still no progress. Do you know if PGE will first pour a concrete slab like all the Tesla cabinets are sitting on? If so that will give us some warning but add a bit more delay.

No change as of Tuesday, September 19:

1695281996662.png

I wonder if all those Superchargers installed in the Bay Area and waiting for a transformer
will be soon out of date with the coming V4 and the Magic Dock CCS1/NACS.

At the risk of sounding flippant, what difference does it make? It's not like the huge installed base of V3 (or Urban or V2) Superchargers stop working just because they're not the latest and greatest.

Bruce.

Finally a glimmer of progress. A PG&E project manager onsite said they plan to put in two 6 inch conduits for two 12kV 1000A circuits to two transformers and his contractor was there today confirming a safe route around other utilities etc. They have to run a couple blocks to the other side of Grant Rd. They will also have to pour concrete pads for the transformers. Could easily take another couple months, especially given the holidays.

IMG_1069.jpg

Finally a glimmer of progress. A PG&E project manager onsite said they plan to put in two 6 inch conduits for two 12kV 1000A circuits to two transformers and his contractor was there today confirming a safe route around other utilities etc. They have to run a couple blocks to the other side of Grant Rd. They will also have to pour concrete pads for the transformers. Could easily take another couple months, especially given the holidays.

View attachment 992746
I guess it gives me more appreciation of the scheduling delays, it's not really just waiting for a transformer to be delivered and plopped down on a concrete pad, and just tapping into the existing power supplies of the adjacent shopping center or retail establishment. Grant Rd is all the way on the opposite side of the shopping center buildings, so if they need to connect to over there, they'll need to either burrow all the way around the buildings via the asphalt roads or parking lots, or under the buildings - that would seem to me to be as much cost, maybe more, than the work to install the Supercharger stalls and cabinets (though I'm no expert on any of these contractor costs!).

Reactions: Tyl
The electrical contractor and PG&E were both onsite yesterday. PG&E appeared to be hooking things up inside a cabinet. The no parking signs that PG&E put up only had January 9 in the date field, so it seems like they intended to finish up. While they were working a few of the stalls had their canvas covers removed. I wouldn't be surprised if this station is online in the next few days, if not online now.

• Informative
Reactions: Tyl and bmah
The electrical contractor and PG&E were both onsite yesterday. PG&E appeared to be hooking things up inside a cabinet. The no parking signs that PG&E put up only had January 9 in the date field, so it seems like they intended to finish up. While they were working a few of the stalls had their canvas covers removed. I wouldn't be surprised if this station is online in the next few days, if not online now.
Was there a giant green box hooked up the the white Tesla cabinets pictured above?

When Superchargers go online, do they show up right away in the Tesla phone app and the findus web page?

Generally phone app first.

The in-car nav will show it once the car refreshes its database of chargers, which happens on the timeframe of hours to a day. If you reboot the car it seems to force a refresh. I would guess if a new site was showing on the mobile app and you immediately rebooted your car you'd see it show up in the nav.

The Find Us page is usually last, but Tesla almost always updates it before they Tweet to announce the new site...that's usually hours to days after it first goes on-line.

Bruce.

I was on the lookout for the transformer but I couldn't tell with the PG&E trucks in the way. I'll try to take another look early next week if we don't see it come online before then.

Let me recommend taking and posting pictures if you’re able. Good pictures provide a lot of information for people familiar with Supercharger construction but aren’t able to get to the site to see things first hand. They‘re always more useful than someone saying “almost done!” with no supporting evidence, which I’ve seen more often than I’d like here on TMC, FB groups, etc.

Bruce.