Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mt. Vernon, IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either is doable with a diversion to St Charles, MO but to me they point to Tesla having an eye on the South County Center mall in Mehlville, MO.
Indeed Tesla's "2016" Supercharger Map does show another location in the St Louis area, roughly on the south side of the city. I suspect a location near I-55 and I-270 (or maybe I-44 and I-270) will be likely. I don't necessarily expect it this year, but eventually.

The intersection's issue seems more to be that there's nothing much there. There are a number of places like that, which is probably why Tesla has begun negotiating with gas station chains.

I'm sorry - I've seen no confirmation or documentation that Tesla has been negotiating with gas station chains. Could you provide that information? I'm not doubting you, as I'd love this to be true.

Over the last 2 years, I have been patiently watching as the chain of supercharges along my favorite route between FL and Chicago was built up. Not necessarily in this order, we had Chattanooga TN, Brentwood, TN, Country Club Hills, IL, Effingham, IL, Champaign, IL, and now Mt. Vernon IL. THAT LEAVES ONLY PADUCAH KY AS THE MISSING LINK!!!. I have written letters of pleading and encouragement on and off to the Tesla Supercharger folks through the years with varying replies. I just did it again with specific reference to Paducah, and their reply was that they are now seriously considering it and also another possible spot in Kettawa (Kettuwa?) KY. What/where is this place and what does it have to offer that's better than Paducah?

• Informative
Reactions: jvonbokel
What/where is this place and what does it have to offer that's better than Paducah?
It sounds like they're looking at Kuttawa, KY. It's ~30mi east of Paducah, and would offer the advantage of additionally serving I-69 as well as I-24. This would make it ~130mi from Mt Vernon and ~115mi from Brentwood (Nashville).

This actually makes a lot of sense, because it makes it pretty centrally located among the 4 nearest existing locations.

ldgBA3R.png

Reactions: MP3Mike
It sounds like they're looking at Kuttawa, KY. It's ~30mi east of Paducah, and would offer the advantage of additionally serving I-69 as well as I-24.
This actually makes a lot of sense, because it makes it pretty centrally located among the 4 nearest existing locations.

ldgBA3R.png
I get your point and agree with the spacing relative to the others on the other interstates. I was just wondering what
amenities would be available.

If they do that major truckstop that is west of the western KY parkway then its not bad, but very limited. I used to go there every weekend when we had marching band competitions. There is not much to do there and is maybe one hotel and 4 fast food. IF tesla follows there map there will be a supercharger at the junction of wky parkway and pennyrille. Then it's pointless to put one in Kuttawa. the wky parkway at kuttawa would be bypass for people going from nashville up.

Paducah is I feel the most logical choice. It's the middle point for lot of people. St. Louis to Nashville, and also Northern people in Chicago and all going down south. Paducah has the most fast food joints per person in the US. Also has some the highest grossing hotels in the world because its a stopping point.

I get your point and agree with the spacing relative to the others on the other interstates. I was just wondering what
amenities would be available.
If I had to guess, I'd say they would put the SC in the parking lot of the Hampton Inn or Days Inn at Exit 40 on I-24/69. If that is the case, there is a Wendy's, Oasis Southwest Grill, and a Huck's/Pilot Travel Center within easy walking distance. Certainly not the worst SC amenities I have seen.

I snapped these pictures this afternoon. The SpC is located just at the entrance to the Holiday Inn parking lot - very easy access off the interstate.
View attachment 196718 View attachment 196719 View attachment 196720
Love seeing new construction started, however I noticed only the electrical conduit is run and the concrete is already poured. From what I've seen in construction of other sites the supercharger stall supports are also set in the concrete, but i see no support poles in that concrete. Hope this doesn't mean a set back.