Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped at the Newark SC on the way home on Monday, 6/13. The 1B station looks like something big backed into it.
I informed the Supercharger team.

image.jpeg

Reactions: tfinan
The Newark Supercharger is temporarily down for maintenance. Customer service didn't have an ETA on its return to duty. My wife is supposed to be driving to Washington DC in the morning, and the Laurel site isn't up yet. Can't take the ICE, either, since we sold that about a month ago. Not a happy camper.

Bethesda will likely be absurdly mobbed. If it were me, I'd go via Harrisburg/Hagerstown (adds an hour) and hope it's back up before the return leg. Or use CHAdeMO. My wife, however, doesn't consider either of those to be acceptable alternatives. If not back up by morning, she'll likely borrow an ICE.

All the more reason why our Nav systems need real-time status of each location, ideally with individual stall usage, especially as these locations age and repairs/maintenance become more prevalent. While increased density/overlap locations will help tremendously, this occurrence on such a critical location can rapid reverse all progress made eliminating range anxiety.

Tesla Customer Service said that Newark has been down since Wednesday morning. They have no estimate on when it will be back up. When asked for an alternative charging location, they suggested the two J-1772 charging stations at the Welcome Center by the truck parking area.

I'm surprised there isn't more chatter here about this temporary closure. It seems like a major disruption for anyone traveling I-95, especially going south.

Not sure why they had to disable the entire SC site to replace one stall. why can't they just take the damaged pair (and the pair next to it if they need room to work) off line and leave the rest of the stalls for people passing through.

Terrible. Tesla really needs to treat this (and most, if not all, Supercharger outages) as a hair-on-fire emergency. Either the problem here is really severe, or they aren't treating it with the urgency it deserves.

It looks like you can skip Newark with some care. Hamilton to Woodbridge is about 229 rated miles according to EVTripPlanner (for an 85 in nice weather with a 1.0 speed multiplier) so a range charge should work for most people. Go through DC instead of around it to cut that down to 211. But 70s will be uncomfortable and 60s will really have to sweat.

I hope they get it back up soon!