Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be helpful to simply be told why the charger is out. While it doesn't resolve the issue it gives us insight into the potential pervasiveness that may exist (or not) in the entire network.

I have relied on SpC network for long distance travel for almost 2 years without issue. I'm very impressed by it and I think it's important to step back and realize we are all still very much early adopters. As such, minor growing pains will occur.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Screenshot 2016-06-24 14.07.25.png

This map shows the locations of the ChargePoint CHAdeMO chargers along I-95 in Maryland. The green means they are available. The half-green ring with a "2" is actually a unit that is offline. This map has been like this every time I've checked since last night. It seems to suggest that not a lot of people are opting to use these CHAdeMOs as a contingency while Newark is closed.

Reactions: ggnykk and vdiv
Unless I misunderstood what you meant/said (and that does happen often), you implied that as a Tesla owner we shouldn't rely on Tesla superchargers.

I tried to point out the absurdity in that, and compared not relying on SpCers to not relying on gas stations. I always relied on gas stations in an ICE, and I will always rely on SpCs in a Tesla EV.

Any single instance of infrastructure can become unavailable. If one is entirely depending on it they set themselves for a disappointment. This is why it is good to have options. Having a CHAdeMO adapter and knowing where there are alternative DCFC stations is a good option. Having a second/high-amp onboard charger with receptacle adapters is a good option.

Keeping things in perspective is also a good option. :)

Reactions: Lanny and NOLA_Mike
I contacted the University of Delaware to ask if they could expedite the repair of the broken cable that @delanman found on one of the Level 2 stations at the Welcome Center. Professor Kempton, who runs the "Charging Up Delaware" program, was kind enough to offer to help get it fixed as soon as possible. However, it's going to require a new cable which they hope to be able to get on Sunday. Really appreciate them putting in the extra effort to try and get that second J-1772 unit working by the end of the weekend.

BTW, those charging stations are 19kW and are capable of nearly 60 mi. per hr. on a dual charger equipped Model S.

I contacted the University of Delaware to ask if they could expedite the repair of the broken cable that @delanman found on one of the Level 2 stations at the Welcome Center. Professor Kempton, who runs the "Charging Up Delaware" program, was kind enough to offer to help get it fixed as soon as possible. However, it's going to require a new cable which they hope to be able to get on Sunday. Really appreciate them putting in the extra effort to try and get that second J-1772 unit working by the end of the weekend.

BTW, those charging stations are 19kW and are capable of nearly 60 mi. per hr. on a dual charger equipped Model S.
It would be great if they could fix the second charger in Bridgville that's been down for 4+ months.

Anyone called Tesla again today to get an update?
I am supposed to drive NYC-DC tomorrow. I planned to stop at the Newark supercharger on the way. Glad I checked this. According to my service advisor in New York "it should be fixed today". But calling tesla supercharger support gives a different answer. The first woman said "its a problem with the power company and it will be fixed today" then I just got off the phone with a guy and he said "we really have no idea whats going on there. This is a strange case". Not comforting at all.

If I stopped in the the Cranberry supercharger on I95S, I should be able to make it to DC on a hot day in a 90D, yes?

I am supposed to drive NYC-DC tomorrow. I planned to stop at the Newark supercharger on the way. Glad I checked this. According to my service advisor in New York "it should be fixed today". But calling tesla supercharger support gives a different answer. The first woman said "its a problem with the power company and it will be fixed today" then I just got off the phone with a guy and he said "we really have no idea whats going on there. This is a strange case". Not comforting at all.

If I stopped in the the Cranberry supercharger on I95S, I should be able to make it to DC on a hot day in a 90D, yes?
Make sure you charge to 100% at Hamilton Marketplace, in case Newark isn't working yet.

What's your plan to get back home?

Unless I misunderstood what you meant/said (and that does happen often), you implied that as a Tesla owner we shouldn't rely on Tesla superchargers.

I tried to point out the absurdity in that, and compared not relying on SpCers to not relying on gas stations. I always relied on gas stations in an ICE, and I will always rely on SpCs in a Tesla EV.

I am skeptical of the current model of SCing going forward.

Let's do some back-of-the-envelope calculations:

In the US, there are currently ~280 SC stations with ~1400 chargers for ~70K Teslas, a charger:car ratio of approximately 50:1

Let's say Musk hits his target of 500K cars per year by 2018. That means by the end of 2019 there will about ten times the current number of Teslas on the road in the US (assuming the US maintains its current rate of 60% of total sales). Let's also generously suppose Tesla doubles the number of SCs (which I think is extremely unlikely). Then by 2019 that's a ratio of 250:1. That practially guarantees routine waiting lines in the busier urban centers. Any Newark-like outages in 2019 will be absolutely catastrophic. (This doesn't even take into account the likelihood that future Tesla owners are presumably going to be less technophile/early-adopter in their philosophy.)

This is why I think the model of Tesla-built free Supercharging Centers is unsustainable. I think there is going to have to be some sort of partnering/franchising arrangements in place to build up the network.

With the SCs at the Molly Pitcher rest stop on the NJTP, there's really no reason to need to divert off-route to Hamilton Marketplace anymore.
in addition to that, with a range charge at woodbridge va, it is 220 miles to the chargers on the NJTPK, which is easily reachable in an 85 or a 90, especially if you observe the speed limits. I used to range charge at Newark and get down to glenn allen va without any issues, even with factoring in DC/VA rush hour slow downs. so while Newark being down is certainly an inconvenience it isn't catastrophic for most cars. if you are in a 70/75 and are concerned you could divert via I81 north which adds about 130 miles to the trip but is covered by SpCs.

• Informative
Reactions: HankLloydRight
I am skeptical of the current model of SCing going forward.

In the US, there are currently ~280 SC stations with ~1400 chargers for ~70K Teslas, a charger:car ratio of approximately 50:1

Let's say Musk hits his target of 500K cars per year by 2018. That means by the end of 2019 there will about ten times the current number of Teslas on the road in the US (assuming the US maintains its current rate of 60% of total sales). Let's also generously suppose Tesla doubles the number of SCs (which I think is extremely unlikely). Then by 2019 that's a ratio of 250:1. That practially guarantees routine waiting lines in the busier urban centers. Any Newark-like outages in 2019 will be absolutely catastrophic. (This doesn't even take into account the likelihood that future Tesla owners are presumably going to be less technophile/early-adopter in their philosophy.)

This is why I think the model of Tesla-built free Supercharging Centers is unsustainable. I think there is going to have to be some sort of partnering/franchising arrangements in place to build up the network.
That's why supercharging for Model 3 won't be free. And they will build out the supercharger network according to density of Model 3 reservation location.

No, franchising/partnering charging network won't work. Anyone who have used other non-Tesla charging infrastructure know that it is a huge pain in the butt. Do you want to subscribe to 4 different networks that have horrible reliability issue, and it charger slower and isn't as easy as Tesla charging?

I'll stop you here. You're approximation assumes all cars will charge and drive at the same time. All of the superchargers I visit aren't utilized to 100% capacity.

Queuing theory is also not linear, so a doubling of supercharger can handle a lot more than double the load.