Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 hrs to start is kind of pushing it for me endurance wise... but I agree it is the most optimal use of driving time.

Back to the original thread topic.. is Newark, DE SCer out of order?? I mean obviously there are tons of other options on the way down 95 -- but somehow I feel like this doesn't bode well for my intended journey.

Yes it is not working. There is no power to any of the stalls. Notnsure why or when it will be fixed. There are a couple 18kw public chargers if you need them

Savannah GA (awesome, awesome spot).

Why do you like Savannah so much? It's confusing to find the stalls (the first time), it's a long walk to the terminal just to use a restroom. After regular hours there's nothing open in the terminal. You just have to "know" to get your parking ticket validated at the information desk (when it's open) or pay a a dollar or two to get out of the parking lot. I've also found that there's pretty much zero cell reception when parked at the stalls (for AT&T anyway so I can't get online or tether my notebook while charging). I stop there because I usually have to, but I sure wouldn't call it "awesome". :)

Newark DE, Woodbridge VA, Rocky Mount NC,

I would strongly recommend skipping Woodbridge, VA these days now that there are alternatives. It's way way off the highway and takes 15-20 minutes each way to get there. Once there though it's a good spot for a break (food, shops, mall, etc). But it's a time-sink for sure getting in and out of there. One time I hit that spot (back when there were no other choices), it was a Sunday afternoon and the mall was packed, and 6 out of the 8 stalls were ICEd, even though the SC location is in the far back of the parking lot.

Instead, I'd suggest going Newark (when it's open) -> Laurel, MD -> Glenn Allen -> Rocky Mount.

Santee NC,

Now that's what I would call an awesome, awesome spot. Right off the highway, lots of food and lodging options, and of course, the Santee General Store.

Reactions: bhzmark
Why do you like Savannah so much? It's confusing to find the stalls (the first time), it's a long walk to the terminal just to use a restroom. After regular hours there's nothing open in the terminal. You just have to "know" to get your parking ticket validated at the information desk (when it's open) or pay a a dollar or two to get out of the parking lot. I've also found that there's pretty much zero cell reception when parked at the stalls (for AT&T anyway so I can't get online or tether my notebook while charging). I stop there because I usually have to, but I sure wouldn't call it "awesome". :)

If you put your name and phone number on the back of the ticket you do not need to get it validated.

Why do you like Savannah so much?

I think @Xenius means the city, not the SuperCharger. I agree the SCer is a bit of a pain.. it is a trek to the restrooms/terminal.. although coming from the cold North East, it is a bit of a joy to hang out around the fountain near the terminal and soak up some sunshine.

On my trip down years ago I did visit the terminal and get my parking validated. On the return trip heading north I got lazy and resolved to pay the $5 parking fee but the kind parking attendant asked to see my Tesla key and let me exit free of charge. the only odd thing I found about the whole exchange was -- tesla key or not -- I was actually driving a Model S, so I'm not sure why the key was needed as validation..

LOLOLOLOL

not sure if showing your key to the parking attendant upon exit still works to get free parking so I'm reluctant to add this as a "tip" -- i'm just mentioning my experience.

If you put your name and phone number on the back of the ticket you do not need to get it validated.

That's good to know, now. :rolleyes:

But how would anyone who doesn't follow the forums know to do either to get out of the lot for free?

@Galve2000 -- that is funny about showing your key fob upon exit. LOL

One thing about Savannah I do like -- there are trash cans right there near the stalls. There are lots of SC locations that don't have any!

That's good to know, now. :rolleyes:

But how would anyone who doesn't follow the forums know to do either to get out of the lot for free?

Getting it validated is on the Tesla web page. The name and phone number is something I read on plugshare.

Parking
Economy Lot:
Each Hour $1.00
Max Each 24 Hrs. $8.00
Tesla customers park free for 2 hours. Parking tickets can be validated at Information Desk on first floor of Airport or with Airport Security

I didn't do anything with validation, I just went up to the manned stall on the way out and they had be write my name/number and sign the back of the ticket, answer with a "hell yes" to "do you like your model S" and was on my merry way.

I don't mind a bit of a walk to the bathrooms because I'm charging anyway, what do I care? I really like the bar in the back righthand corner of the terminal. Good local craft beer on tap. I imagine I'd like it less in blistering heat, but I don't go south in the summer :)

Reactions: linkster
Yeah, sort of. Laurel MD is a quick shot off the highway, and yes, hard to find the first time you get there (very hard to find), but once you know where it is, it's easy to get to. Woodbridge is a fairly convoluted route to get in/out of the mall area to the highway, and lots of traffic and lights so it seems to take a long time to get there (that is, if you follow the in-car Nav... maybe there's an easier route I don't know about).

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
Going to have to agree on Laurel vs Woodbridge. I find woodbridge to be far easier, and even if you take the "bad way" in nav, the woodbridge bad way is way less annoying than the laurel one.

I dislike the route to both, but I think woodbridge is better. However Hank has a point, the likelihood of garbage DC traffic is far higher at woodbridge.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
There was work visible at Newark Tuesday 2/20/18 at 10:45 am. The supercharger cabinets inside the fenced area were open and there were technicians inside.

It also appears that there will be some construction next to the superchargers.

Attachments

• 005FC455-E0DF-47C1-8A55-35DD82C286C1.jpeg
    005FC455-E0DF-47C1-8A55-35DD82C286C1.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Informative
Reactions: vdiv