Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - North Bay, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The post was made “tongue in cheek” Go Tesla. Also, I was humbled a little today when I met a fellow Canuck that has bee driving a Tesla in Canada since 2013. I believe the original Tesla cable issued with every new car was 75 km long.

The post was made “tongue in cheek” Go Tesla. Also, I was humbled a little today when I met a fellow Canuck that has bee driving a Tesla in Canada since 2013. I believe the original Tesla cable issued with every new car was 75 km long.
No worries - my note was more about PetroCan's false advertising than about your comments on it :D

Rivalry is great, and leads to more choice and faster technological development in the marketplace - but convincing consumers they can do something that they can't leads to anger and frustration and is more likely to damage EV acceptance then help it. If we're being honest, owning and operating an EV today and driving long distances requires a lot more planning than an ICE equivalent due to the prevalence of gasoline infrastructure versus electric - somebody who takes PetroCan's word for it and runs out of juice just outside of White River in February is going to blame EVs rather than bad marketing, which doesn't help move us all towards a better place environmentally.

Definitely agree with your point. Currently on a 10,000 km road trip. Took 2 days just to lay out a ‘feasible’ route (trying to navigate Toronto to Calgary and back)

Is that possible without dipping down to USA? I've spent more than a few minutes working on it. Fast electrons get real sparse west of Sudbury. Or are you stopping for two or three days at PetroCan stations?

The biggest gap that I see between Petro-Canada stations is between Wawa and Nipigon which is 365km according to Google maps. That would just barely allow my Model S P85D to make it in good weather if there isn't much of an altitude change.
The north shore Lake Superior drive is altitude changes up and down all over the place - that's the Canadian Shield, and the Trans-Canada Highway is blasted through a seemingly never-ending sequence of rock cuts.

As an aside, this is exactly what I was worried about with Petro-Canada claiming Coast-to-Coast coverage - no native-CCS/CHAdeMO car (read: not Teslas with adapters) can make that gap in winter without recharging (and possibly not even in summer!), and people that attempt that drive without properly researching it will discover it around White River and blame EVs rather than Petro-Canada's false marketing.

The biggest gap that I see between Petro-Canada stations is between Wawa and Nipigon which is 365km according to Google maps. That would just barely allow my Model S P85D to make it in good weather if there isn't much of an altitude change.
Hydro One is installing a station in Marathon that will bridge the gap. I have made a map of all the NR Can funded stations here NR Can Phase 2 You can filter by station owner.

As an aside, this is exactly what I was worried about with Petro-Canada claiming Coast-to-Coast coverage - no native-CCS/CHAdeMO car (read: not Teslas with adapters) can make that gap in winter without recharging (and possibly not even in summer!), and people that attempt that drive without properly researching it will discover it around White River and blame EVs rather than Petro-Canada's false marketing.
Except there's no reason for those cars to restrict their charging to solely Petro-Can stations and there are others also building stations as part of the program that will bridge the gaps or provide other options. I haven't seen the ads or marketing in question but I doubt Petro-Can is claiming that EV could cross the country exclusively on their chargers. Just that their stations are supporting and enabling cross country EV travel on TCH.

Reactions: MarcoRP
Except there's no reason for those cars to restrict their charging to solely Petro-Can stations and there are others also building stations as part of the program that will bridge the gaps or provide other options. I haven't seen the ads or marketing in question but I doubt Petro-Can is claiming that EV could cross the country exclusively on their chargers. Just that their stations are supporting and enabling cross country EV travel on TCH.
If that's true, then I would definitely have no disagreement with that statement and phrasing. Looking at EV Fast Charge car charging stations, here's what they say at the top:

"You’ve always been able to drive from the Rockies to the Maritimes. And now, you can do it in an electric vehicle."

Aside from the "now" bit (good luck charging at an under-construction station), the wording does seem ambiguous enough that it would support your read of the message. Re: advertising, I also haven't seen any myself but this is how it was reported up-thread (#179):

Just watched a commercial by Petro Canada that indicates you can now drive coast to coast in Canada using their EV charging network.

Their advertisement is similar to the Tesla dots. Coming soon! Especially in Manitoba. Thing is, some of them actually are "NOW".
Once Tesla gets their Super Chargers operational, I doubt I would use the Petro Canada chargers unless they have a rental CHAdeMO adapter. I don't see the need to spend that much money on an adapter, but I might be wrong. I see they will be using time based costing.
Regardless, if it is not really "NOW", it is still a very good thing.