Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Palmdale, CA (LIVE 19 Oct 2020, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the creator of the aforementioned AV Tesla Owners Facebook group and admin of same until I turned it over to Nikki when I gave up Facebook a few months ago, I am hopeful that any planned gathering of AV Tesla owners will be scheduled and posted here for people like me that are no longer on or never have been on Facebook. I would be very interested in meeting my fellow AV Tesla Owners.

3 cheers for open superchargers. I am sure they will alleviate my 7 year old grandson's range anxiety as he is constantly telling me about the 20% or less that I frequently return home with during trips "Down Below" to visit family. He tends to get nervous as soon as the battery turns yellow even though we are just a few miles from home. And if it happens to turn red, he becomes a complete basket case.

As the creator of the aforementioned AV Tesla Owners Facebook group and admin of same until I turned it over to Nikki when I gave up Facebook a few months ago, I am hopeful that any planned gathering of AV Tesla owners will be scheduled and posted here for people like me that are no longer on or never have been on Facebook. I would be very interested in meeting my fellow AV Tesla Owners.

3 cheers for open superchargers. I am sure they will alleviate my 7 year old grandson's range anxiety as he is constantly telling me about the 20% or less that I frequently return home with during trips "Down Below" to visit family. He tends to get nervous as soon as the battery turns yellow even though we are just a few miles from home. And if it happens to turn red, he becomes a complete basket case.
Here is a true story about range anxiety.

In 1959, my family left SoCali for Lake Tahoe, on vacation. I was 13 and in the back seat. My 8-year-old sister was next to me. Dad was driving his Oldsmobile and Mom was in the right seat. So we're driving for a long time and we're in the wilds of, I think, Highway 395, going north. I watched the gas gauge slowly move left. Now, my Dad drove a lot of miles every year for his business, and looking back on this event, I realize he knew what he was doing. But I was just a kid and I was getting worried.

"Dad, shouldn't we stop for gas soon?" I queried, eyes fixed on the gauge, which showed more than a quarter tank remaining. "No, we're alright," he said. Time went by. The gauge needle moved further left. "Dad, how about we stop for gas?" Dad blew me off again. More time went by. "Dad, I think we need to stop for gas." The needle was less than a quarter tank by now and gas stations were seldom seen.

"Michael, shut up. We don't need gas yet." No A/C in the car and it was hot out. I put a pillow on the door, window rolled down, and watched the scenery. Then I had an idea. John Wayne had starred in a movie from about 1956 called "The High and the Mighty." He played an airline pilot, flying from Hawaii to San Francisco. An in-flight emergency caused the plane to lose fuel. The dramatic point was: Will they make it, or have to ditch in the Pacific? The theme song was distinctive, and we had recently seen the film on TV.

I began whistling the theme tune. Suddenly Dad roared, "OK, OK, I'll stop for gas! Will that make you happy?!"

Score one point for me! LOL

Feels so good to finally charge here!!
20201019_190957.jpg

FYI, the Tesla Energy guy there said that "power sharing" is not how the AV Mall chargers work...He said you don't have to risk halving someone else's charge rate if you park next to them.

*Edit: the chargers aren't arranged 1A 2A, 1B 2B...they look staggered, (1A 2C, 1B 3A)...so I would still check to see if the charge rate is halved when you charge off someone else's letter of charger.

Dang, I could have used these this morning if I had known! Forgot to charge and ended up getting home with the “you will damage the battery, please plug in now” warnings on the screen. Checked the screen this morning to see if it showed up, but it wasn’t there, so just figured I would either hypermile home or have to swing by Mojave.

Well, good to know they are there now!

Definitely 12 stalls. One is hidden behind the storage unit. I thought I would charge there after a run up the crest and also thought I would be the only one. Wrong, as it was almost full!! Super fast, so I will use it again.
Most of my groups twisty runs either go through Palmdale, or end up there, so that is a great place to charge from. As soon as the Granada Hills supercharger opens up, I can stage runs out of there and then change in Palmdale. Life is good.

They were busy working on them Wednesday. They had about 10 pedestals working, all in use at times when we were charging that afternoon. We lost charge power for maybe 10 -15 minutes until they restored it. Plenty of guys there to fix it! Not a bad way to avoid L.A. on our road trips, but this charger is critical for us. Hope it doesn't get more crowded.

Look at the pictures, could there be an expansion going on here? I'm counting more than 40 parking-spot wheel blocks, Edison is there, and the supercharger goes in-and-out of service pretty frequently lately.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-20 160057.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-20 160057.png
    937.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2023-12-20 160111.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-20 160111.png
    1,004 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: aerodyne
Look at the pictures, could there be an expansion going on here? I'm counting more than 40 parking-spot wheel blocks, Edison is there, and the supercharger goes in-and-out of service pretty frequently lately.
I rarely use this, as it is a pain to get to. Always mall traffic. Newhall is better, and the new chargers in Mojave are less sketchy than the old ones.