Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Palo Alto - Stanford Shopping Center (LIVE 5 Nov 2019, 20 Urban Stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I was passing by a small Construciton fence at the 3 story Stanford mall parking lot.
I pulled in and talked to the electrical contractor and he said they are installing 20 urban changers on the second floor of the garage. He said they should be done in roughly 2 months.

Stanford Mall.jpg

Very nice. The CHAdeMO charger located on the ground floor of that garage has had an atrocious operating history typical of the Blink Network it is billed on. They don't call it "on the Blink" for nothing.
I'm happy that the pin on the map in the first post is along that side of the garage further from the stores. It will reduce the ICEing.

While I love build out of SCs these top level of a garage chargers really are a pain to get to. The one in daily city takes easily 10+ min from the highway to get to and up to. And same coming back down.
This is an urban site. If you want something close to the freeway, you would choose the East Palo Alto (101) or the Menlo Park (280) sites. From 280, you literally have to drive right past the Menlo Park Supercharger to get to the Stanford Shopping Center.

Reactions: Ulmo
This is an urban site. If you want something close to the freeway, you would choose the East Palo Alto (101) or the Menlo Park (280) sites. From 280, you literally have to drive right past the Menlo Park Supercharger to get to the Stanford Shopping Center.
Even that menlo park location isn't a dream. down the road, back behind the shopping center. But fortunately, nothing like daily city or say santa clarita. I'd really love for Tesla to make a deal with a gas station operator and just get banks of 8-10 in more places closer to highways.

While I love build out of SCs these top level of a garage chargers really are a pain to get to. The one in daily city takes easily 10+ min from the highway to get to and up to. And same coming back down.
Tesla always has limited choices of not only where they build an SC but, in the case of parking structures, where in the structure they can place the stalls. That is up to the landlord, not to Tesla. Tesla does not deliberately place stalls in difficult to get to places; they take what they can get at a specific location when there are no better options nearby.

Building Superchargers in urban areas is challenging. As proof of that, note where other EV manufacturers have built chargers in cities. Oh wait...none of them have except for Nissan which puts them at dealerships where they are often not accessible 24/7. Note where privately run charging networks have built charging locations. Oh wait...none of them have built nearly as many chargers as Tesla, a small company operating on a limited budget.

Tesla is doing an extraordinary job building the SC network. Complaining that Superchargers are located on the top level of a parking garage strikes me as trivial.

Reactions: RedOctober
Tesla always has limited choices of not only where they build an SC but, in the case of parking structures, where in the structure they can place the stalls. That is up to the landlord, not to Tesla. Tesla does not deliberately place stalls in difficult to get to places; they take what they can get at a specific location when there are no better options nearby.

Building Superchargers in urban areas is challenging. As proof of that, note where other EV manufacturers have built chargers in cities. Oh wait...none of them have except for Nissan which puts them at dealerships where they are often not accessible 24/7. Note where privately run charging networks have built charging locations. Oh wait...none of them have built nearly as many chargers as Tesla, a small company operating on a limited budget.

Tesla is doing an extraordinary job building the SC network. Complaining that Superchargers are located on the top level of a parking garage strikes me as trivial.
Tesla does intentionally propose putting chargers in underutilized parking sections or otherwise less desirable parking areas when they approach properties. This serves two functions. First is to try to minimize the ICEing risk once the charging stations are operational. And second is to make the "loss" of the parking stalls more palatable for the host property--i.e. "You weren't really making much use of them anyway." Unfortunately, that does generally result in the stalls being either farther away from stores/amenities/etc. or in less accessible areas--like on very top of multi-story parking garages. Tesla is trying to build a lot of superchargers very quickly. Going after the low hanging fruit of parking areas is the obvious choice.

While I love build out of SCs these top level of a garage chargers really are a pain to get to.

The good news is that particular location is actually quite easy to access. We always park on the north side of the second floor when we go to the Stanford mall because it is inevitably very open [and in the shade], and to get there we literally drive past where these stalls will be, which are also spaces that are inevitably very open.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9