Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Phillipsburg, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by the Wawa on Friday (9/13) to see if anything was happening. Still no sign of any construction.
Tesla doesn't have a building permit for that location yet. So, it's still too early to be checking for construction activity. They are just now in the process of getting planning approval for 8 superchargers:
http://www.pohatcongtwp.org/_Content/pdf/minutes/2019-07-09-Land-Use-Minutes.pdf [pdf]
1.Tesla, Inc. –Block 75, Lot 1.01 –1300 Route 22 –Minor Site Plan –B-3 Zone –Completeness Determination
-Application Submission date: June25, 2019

In attendance for the applicant was Attorney Duncan Prime. Attorney Prime stated that the applicant, Tesla, is proposing to install on the existing Wawa property eight (8) electric vehicle charging stations. He stated that two (2) will used solely by Tesla cars and the other six (6) can be used by other electric car owners. Engineer Wayne Ingram stated that the applicant has asked for five checklist item waivers but that they still need to submit their certificate of ownership to the Board. Attorney Prime stated that they are in the process of getting the owner’s certification and should have it before the August 13th meeting.

A motion was made Mr. K. Melvin,seconded by Mr. Williams to deem the application as incomplete due to the owner’s certification not being submitted and to set the public hearing for August 13, 2019 pending that the application be deemed complete at that meeting. The motion carried...

The public hearing was subsequently postponed to the September meeting, but they haven't posted the minutes yet to see whether it happened.

• Informative
Reactions: JSergeant
Looking at the meeting agenda, it seems Tesla has not come back or scheduled the second hearing. Also, this site is going to have 8 chargers but only 2 dedicated to TESLA cars. So who else is going to charge there? Also, it appears they (Tesla) did not provide adequate documentation at the initial hearing. Can’t wait for this Supercharger to go operational.

[QUOTE="Joshib, post: 4027942, member: 67250"Also, this site is going to have 8 chargers but only 2 dedicated to TESLA cars. So who else is going to charge there?[/QUOTE]
I saw that and wondered. I suspect it just refers to the fact that 2 of the spaces will be designated as 'Tesla charging only' and the others will allow x minutes general parking. That's how it works in most Supercharger locations, but the wording is certainly misleading.

Looking at the meeting agenda, it seems Tesla has not come back or scheduled the second hearing. Also, this site is going to have 8 chargers but only 2 dedicated to TESLA cars. So who else is going to charge there? Also, it appears they (Tesla) did not provide adequate documentation at the initial hearing. Can’t wait for this Supercharger to go operational.
I saw that and wondered. I suspect it just refers to the fact that 2 of the spaces will be designated as 'Tesla charging only' and the others will allow x minutes general parking. That's how it works in most Supercharger locations, but the wording is certainly misleading.
Yes, the thing about some chargers being dedicated for Teslas and some not is actually about the parking stalls and the wording on the signage limiting their use, not about the chargers themselves. It's a point that is regularly misunderstood/misreported by the people writing up the agendas/minutes.

There was a mention in the August 13th meeting that Tesla was scheduled for the September 10th meeting, but presumably they will reschedule for a new date when they're ready.

At what point do we lose all hope in this site and just consider it a no-go?
Well, as recently as July of this year they were still actively in the process of getting planning approval for it (see this post). So, you can ignore the long time before that. If Tesla has dropped the location it would have to be since July. Certainly it's possible, but 4 months since applying for the approval isn't long enough to be disheartening IMO.

Reactions: Lanny
At the risk of raising false hope...
I didn’t have time to stop and confirm but as I was driving by yesterday I think I saw some signs of construction.

56736BA5-5C6A-4FCA-8A4E-B21912B2DFD1.jpeg

Reactions: Pbaker609
Now to see when they actually start construction. This location would be 10 miles east of where I live and I-78 is one of the busiest East West Roads here. The other closest Tesla Supercharger is in West Allentown. Great! However, at the cost of 10cents a kw it sometimes makes more sense to charge it at home. LOL