Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Pricing Map?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last I was aware, Supercharging prices also vary by time of day, as this affects the electricity rate paid by Tesla and also the level of congestion.

Supercharger locations with peak/off-peak pricing constitute a pretty small minority of all US locations.

They're quite common in CA and FL (roughly 50% and 25% respectively of the total in each state). But outside of those two states, they’re almost non-existent. Like only ~1.5% of the total.

WA has 7-8 and CO has 3, but no other state has more than one. (NY, OR, UT, and VA each have one last I checked.)

It’s also worth pointing out that (outside of California, at least) the peak prices aren’t much higher than the flat rates at nearby SCs. So you might pay a little more during peak hours, but you benefit by paying a lot less during off-peak. So it will be an overall cost reduction on average.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
Interesting data and pricing differences. We snowbird between Vermont and Utah. Very surprised to see the average UT and VT supercharging rates since in UT our home electric rates are a bit under $.12 and in VT are $.19 but supercharging rates are higher in UT. Wonder why.

Interesting data and pricing differences. We snowbird between Vermont and Utah. Very surprised to see the average UT and VT supercharging rates since in UT our home electric rates are a bit under $.12 and in VT are $.19 but supercharging rates are higher in UT. Wonder why.
Demand charges for commercial electricity and the respective load factors of the charging station. Basically, you can't compare commercial electricity rates with residential electricity rates as they work on different principles. And it's likely that the VT superchargers get used more often, which means that the non-volumetric operating costs (electricity demand charges, meter fees, rent, etc.) of the superchargers are spread out over more users and therefore represent a lower added cost.

Demand charges for commercial electricity and the respective load factors of the charging station.

Could be. Or could be for some completely unrelated reason.

And it's likely that the VT superchargers get used more often, which means that the non-volumetric operating costs (electricity demand charges, meter fees, rent, etc.) of the superchargers are spread out over more users and therefore represent a lower added cost.

There are actually lots more check-ins on Plugshare for the Utah Superchargers.

There are actually lots more check-ins on Plugshare for the Utah Superchargers.
I don't think that's a useful metric in this case. With the exception of the SLC area, Utah superchargers are much more spread out (due to the size of the state) and, as trips will be longer in the much larger state, one location being down is more likely to have a major impact on your driving/travel plans than if the same happened in Vermont. My expectation is that this should tend to engender a much more active community of drivers keeping each other up to date on charger status via assets like Plugshare.

Reactions: pilotSteve
...edited...

How would I figure out which ones?
There’s no shortcut or trick to it that I know of. You just gotta park yourself in front of the in-vehicle Nav screen and tap away on the map.

I did this awhile back when trying to compile average prices by state. At that time I found peak/off-peak pricing in Bellevue, Bothell, Issaquah, Lynnwood, and 3 Seattle locations.

With such drastic differences in prices between neighboring states, it would be very nice to have a website where you can easily view prices online.
So, you'd just drive through that state with higher prices?? I doubt that. If you need to be somewhere, you'll pay the local and current energy price. There is no need to view prices on line, as you'll pay what they ask to charge. Or maybe you plan to drive in a large circle around that high priced state. Again, I doubt that. You'll drive the shortest route and pay the price. This talk about checking prices doesn't make sense. It's like wanting to view prices of gas whenever you go on a trip. No. You pay the price where ever you fill up.

Of course, things are different on the east coast, but the entire state of Michigan would fit into Los Angeles County. For that matter, San Bernardino County is larger that 43 other states.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Just assume 4x the price for convenience and that will keep going up along with their car prices. So much for 4680 revolutionary cost savings and technology when that happens along with expensive lengthy charging times.

I understand the price for kwh can change at a location, but has anyone compiled a map of charging prices?

Looking at my history of charging I can see very distinct rate changes by region. I thought I had seen a map or even just a list of prices previously but I'm not finding it now.
ABRP app will show you prices when you hit drop-down for details at each charger it plans out. It will also tell you total estimate for that charge

• Informative
Reactions: LoudMusic
ABRP app will show you prices when you hit drop-down for details at each charger it plans out. It will also tell you total estimate for that charge
The values I'm seeing on ABRP (on-line web version) appear outdated. My charging history report which I extract from my Telsa account shows sites like Erie, PA at $0.29/kWh while ABRP shows at $0.13. Similarly my charging history shows Cheektowaga, NY at $0.36 kWh vs. ABRP shows at $0.28 kWh.

The values I'm seeing on ABRP (on-line web version) appear outdated. My charging history report which I extract from my Telsa account shows sites like Erie, PA at $0.29/kWh while ABRP shows at $0.13. Similarly my charging history shows Cheektowaga, NY at $0.36 kWh vs. ABRP shows at $0.28 kWh.
Yes, even the ABRP folks have acknowledge that their pricing is not accurate and have requested assistance from Tesla owners to help them update their database. I think this is probably a futile attempt given the number of Superchargers, the possible volatility of prices, and the manner in which they are requesting updates (via forum posts!)

Reactions: gasmandave
Fantastic maps @jsmay311 . Somebody should add the provinces to your sheet as well -- you've done enough but you could give a volunteer (not me) write permission. Google sheets might even let you make a live link that changes as you update.

I'm going to write an article on charging pricing and would love to be able to use your map with credit, particularly if there's a live link. Later this year as $200 CCS adapters get released in the USA, Tesla drivers will start getting more interested in those prices. Tesla claimed in the past that they ran the SC network at break-even, just wanting to sell Teslas and not electricity. I wonder if that's still the case.

There are some very strange prices in some places for CCS. In Oregon, many chargers have a flat fee per session, for example. That means if you just want a quick top-up, you are paying a fortune but you get a good deal if going from 10% to 90%. You will also find base fees and lower per kwh or per minute fees that make it difficult to put a single price on the service. While we like to pay by the kwh, the cost of the charger operator is very much not per kwh (it's really 90% service and 10% product.)

In California, not only is there now TOU (usually 24 cents/kwh off peak and 48 cents/kwh on-peak) but some chargers have peak and others down the street do not, when Tesla is trying to get people to move to a less popular charger. I did a thread here recently about a pair of chargers where one is 48 cents and the other is 24 cents, and the 24 cent one is 250kw and has empty stalls and the 48 cent one has a line, though they are less than 2 miles apart. (The 48 cent one has better food and ambiance, the 24 cent one has better shopping but decent food.) People mostly report they just aren't looking at the price.

It always facinates me why almost nobody goes to the 250kW ($0.24 24/7) supercharger in Cupertino vs the 150kw ($0.48 peak) one, not to mention as you said, the way more availability of stalls on the 250kW location.

Either people just don't care about the cost (which is a good indication of the wealth of the people in the area), or these people have free supercharging miles.

It always facinates me why almost nobody goes to the 250kW ($0.24 24/7) supercharger in Cupertino vs the 150kw ($0.48 peak) one, not to mention as you said, the way more availability of stalls on the 250kW location.

Either people just don't care about the cost (which is a good indication of the wealth of the people in the area), or these people have free supercharging miles.
People are also creatures of habit and it's sometimes hard to get them to make "better" choices once they have already gotten used to an initial option. When they open a new/second supercharger in a local area, Tesla should consider shutting off the old/first location for a few weeks just to force everyone to use the new one for a bit. That would help overcome any ruts and make sure the local user population is fully aware of all options.

Looks like there was an across-the-board price increase for US Superchargers recently. I’m not going to bother trying to update the price maps this time as it’s too much work to chase this ever moving target.

One interesting observation though: Indiana Superchargers have now been changed from $/minute pricing to $/kWh. Alaska too (although there’s only a single SC up there).
None of the other per-minute states have changed to per-kWh.

Question on this where there is a pricing difference between two close Superchargers. When using Navigation on a trip, and you have more than one option for charging, does the Tesla Navigation send you to the more expensive one vs a cheaper option?
Also on the more expensive rate charger, does Tesla make more on those, or is the electric cost higher?
Still cheaper than gas, but just a thought.

It's no longer cheaper than gas, though. I think that's the point that's trying to be made.

Assuming you can drive a modest 35 miles in a gallon, that means it costs you $6 per 35 miles, at the current modest price of $6/gal in CA.
To drive the same 35 miles in a Model Y, it needs 11.66 kWh (assuming 3 mi/kWh at highway speeds). 11.66 kWh at $0.59/kWh is $6.88 to drive the same 35 miles.