Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Quartzsite, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had problems at this supercharger? I have used it twice and problems both times.
The first time was in July. There were two of us at the supercharger and we were not right next to reach other. We were both only getting 70 amps. The second time was yesterday and the charging stopped but after moving down two stalls the charging worked perfectly.

Has anyone had problems at this supercharger? I have used it twice and problems both times.
The first time was in July. There were two of us at the supercharger and we were not right next to reach other. We were both only getting 70 amps. The second time was yesterday and the charging stopped but after moving down two stalls the charging worked perfectly.

If you look at the chargers, you might notice some numbers: 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, etc. Every SET of TWO chargers has one inverter stack, which you can also see in that big enclosure near the chargers. EACH SET will give full power to the first car. If a second car parks and plugs into the same inverter, the second car will get whatever is left over (ie: a car with a 90 kW battery would start out at 90 kW, and fairly quickly be ramped down as the charge proceeded. The second car would start up at 120 kW minus 90 kW equals 30 kW, and start to ramp up) Depending on when you plugged in, when car A plugged in, etc., could make a huge difference in how fast you were getting charge.

People who know this, and there are precious few, will make sure they are not paired with another car, or at least will try to find out who has been there longest and pair with them. Most people just drive in and park and don't even notice they are charging at 50 kW.

Whenever something like this happens call Tesla and ask about it. They have real time data coming back from a cellular data modem on the Supercharger Cabinet. Call 877-798-3752; the number is on the charging pedestal.

@roblab +1
you are absolutely correct. So many Tesla drivers are not aware of the charger pairing and what that means for charging rates.

But just to mess this up completely, the paired chargers are not arranged in the same sequence from SC to SC. Because TM uses different contractors for different locations, it is up to a third party to arrange the chargers at each location. Sometimes 1A is next to 1B, other times they are at opposite ends of the SC line. It drives me nuts because I have to pull along seeing how they are arranged before I can back into a selected charger.

I have had a few interactions with drivers who pulled into a given charger to match mine. After a brief explanation, they are glad to move for their own and my benefit.

I have never had any problems supercharging in Quartzite AZ. All the above, are excellent posts. I've charged in Quartzite many, many times since it opened, at many different pedestals. Please make sure whenever you plug in anywhere, you are getting a *solid connection. *(push in a little on the handle as you insert into your car)

Whenever something like this happens call Tesla and ask about it. They have real time data coming back from a cellular data modem on the Supercharger Cabinet. Call 877-798-3752; the number is on the charging pedestal.

With the trip computer our cars are supposed to have access to this same real time data. In an ideal world we should not have to call Tesla to find out the scoop.

With the trip computer our cars are supposed to have access to this same real time data. In an ideal world we should not have to call Tesla to find out the scoop.

I could not agree more, but...

Such a call is also to raise attention at the mothership. While such issues should automatically trigger alerts, a customer call raises awareness and priority to problems.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 125
But just to mess this up completely, the paired chargers are not arranged in the same sequence from SC to SC. Because TM uses different contractors for different locations, it is up to a third party to arrange the chargers at each location. Sometimes 1A is next to 1B, other times they are at opposite ends of the SC line. It drives me nuts because I have to pull along seeing how they are arranged before I can back into a selected charger.
It's not just third parties, the arrangement at the Fremont factory supercharger does not have the stall arranged contiguously by charger. I was there this morning and they go 1A, 2A, 1B, 2B, etc. So quite counterintuitively, parking next to someone is better than being staggered.

Reactions: Blu Zap
Supercharger - Quartzsite AZ. This still, IS the site we need when traveling. It's hard to imagine easy travel to/from the west coast w/o supercharger Quartzsite AZ. I know I can't make Indio CA from home! ..... I was just remembering the early days when one of these link supercharging sites became available. This is still one of those sites. I'm thankful it's there for all of us to use. I'd like the title of this thread to be changed to Supercharger- Quartzsite, AZ.

I can’t find a Quartzsite supercharger thread in the Southwest forum so I’ll mention it here. I think they just got new cabinets. Not sure how many there were before but there are 8 pedastals now and they’re the light-up logo variety. (I swear only a few weeks ago they were the older style.)

I can’t find a Quartzsite supercharger thread in the Southwest forum so I’ll mention it here. I think they just got new cabinets. Not sure how many there were before but there are 8 pedastals now and they’re the light-up logo variety. (I swear only a few weeks ago they were the older style.)
You can look at the pic in post #9 in this thread to see what it used to look like. Some of the old superchargers in WA recently got updated as well (Burlington, Centralia and maybe some others). I haven't heard but would not be surprised if they are completely phasing out the old pedestals.

That makes sense. Buckeye AZ has the newer pedestals and I thought those were older style too, but can't be certain. I don't use it much. Quartzsite was definitely upgraded though. Still sketchy at night!
Is it really sketchy or just weird? I've been stopping in Quartzsite for years in my ICE and now in the Tesla and never thought it was dangerous. It is one of the post-apocalyptic looking towns that you only find in the desert southwest though.

Is it really sketchy or just weird? I've been stopping in Quartzsite for years in my ICE and now in the Tesla and never thought it was dangerous. It is one of the post-apocalyptic looking towns that you only find in the desert southwest though.

My personal experience has been that during the day it isn’t uncommon to be asked for change from panhandlers, and that the crowd at the Carl’s Jr. is a pretty rough mix. The restrooms have typically been a wreck, there’s at least one or two people there with luggage or their clothes in a backpack, and there isn’t anything around for miles at night.

While I haven’t run into problems at night, it definitely isn’t a place that I’d want to spend any additional time. All Superchargers are safe... until they aren’t. There isn’t anything nearby that’s open at night and it’s rare to have others there with you. Maybe it’s totally safe. But when I need to charge at 2 AM and I’m the only thing around for miles, I like to make sure I’m aware of my surroundings.

..... at 2 AM and I’m the only thing around for miles, I like to make sure I’m aware of my surroundings.

Yup, make sure your lock logo shows locked and you’ll be good. However I have always wondered about a situation such as a car jacking where I would need to drive off quickly, I’m screwed since the car won’t move w/o unplugging first.

Couldn’t find a proper thread for Quartzsite so I’ll post here. A photo from PlugShare shows that 2 pairs of temporary Superchargers are being installed there.
3983523E-38BC-4D3D-A812-4C5338B6787A.jpeg

Reactions: mociaf9