Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Quartzsite, AZ - Main Event Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most likely culprit is either the NAV routing people to the OLD supercharger and not the NEW supercharger or the OLD supercharger button being on top of the NEW supercharger button in the NAV. Or BOTH!

Then there is also the tendency for PEOPLE to stop at the supercharger they are familiar with and have used in the PAST.
I personally like to try the new superchargers when given a choice. With most things technology related, I gamble that newer is better.

We charged here two times last week heading EAST to Scottsdale and back to CA again. EACH time, this site had 1-3 cars, of about 80+ ports (basically the photos above), and the OTHER site was showing nearly full use. I would come off the highway ramp and watch the Teslas come to the north east side stop light and turn LEFT going to the legacy site.

today (saturday before xmas), obviously a HIGH travel day, the legacy site shows 2/24 (or is it 2/36) available, while this NEW site has essentially ALL available. Do ppl just not know about this site, or does the legacy Quartzite site have some great eatery nearby? I mean it IS close to the Beef Jerky place but not by much.
As stated above, nav routes to the closest site. The old site is closer to the freeway so it will always get priority in the nav. Unless the old site is full, the new site will never be suggested. Just the way it works.

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz
I've been here twice in January 2024. The Nav does try to take you to the older one. Getting to the new one is easy, but its entrance is ridiculously hidden with no signage. You virtually turn onto an unmarked alley, and the chargers aren't that visible until you turn. Once you get to the site, it's HUGE, and it's almost EMPTY. As far as I know, all the stalls were up, but only about 1 stall in 10 had a car at it. The easiest way to find it is to realize it's right next to the Terribles gas station. Go there and you'll see the stalls and how to get to them. It's a nice place to stop, except if you want a sit-down restaurant. (I happen to like Carl's Junior, but not at every stop.) I really wish Telsa would put signage at the entrance of their sites. And interstates ought to list EV charging points (including speed) in the same way they list gas stations and restaurants at an exit.

It would also be nice if such a large SC would have some picnic tables outside. One can easily buy food at Terribles. I guess, maybe the tables would just get used by non SC folks, which is fine, but Terribles probably doesn’t want to have to deal with garbage or slouchers. Last time we were there we just sort of ate off the bonnet, but still.

Reactions: M CARLING
I've been here twice in January 2024. The Nav does try to take you to the older one. Getting to the new one is easy, but its entrance is ridiculously hidden with no signage. You virtually turn onto an unmarked alley, and the chargers aren't that visible until you turn. Once you get to the site, it's HUGE, and it's almost EMPTY. As far as I know, all the stalls were up, but only about 1 stall in 10 had a car at it. The easiest way to find it is to realize it's right next to the Terribles gas station. Go there and you'll see the stalls and how to get to them. It's a nice place to stop, except if you want a sit-down restaurant. (I happen to like Carl's Junior, but not at every stop.) I really wish Telsa would put signage at the entrance of their sites. And interstates ought to list EV charging points (including speed) in the same way they list gas stations and restaurants at an exit.
In France they had electronic signs on the freeway warning of chargers that were inoperable. It's incredible how far behind we are in terms of charging infrastructure.

In France they had electronic signs on the freeway warning of chargers that were inoperable. It's incredible how far behind we are in terms of charging infrastructure.
Although my German friends say it is a nightmare in Germany. Many live in apartments without the ability to charge and many homeowners have separate garages with no electricity at all. Is France that far ahead of Germany? I have no feelers out on France.

Although my German friends say it is a nightmare in Germany. Many live in apartments without the ability to charge and many homeowners have separate garages with no electricity at all. Is France that far ahead of Germany? I have no feelers out on France.
In terms of what I saw on the highways, I would say France is quite a bit ahead of Germany, yes. It was actually pretty interesting to see the wide range of EV infrastructures from country to country. Italy was basically on infrastructure for tourists (didn't see many EVs with Italian plates) and of course Scandinavia had chargers everywhere. France was the most advanced of the large countries. Germany was sort of in the middle.

Reactions: Tyl