Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rancho Cucamonga, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand about questioning whether an ordinance is in place, but how can you question a sign that clearly states "Tesla Parking Only" as proper signage? It seems pretty clear to me .
Clear? Definitely.
What I mean is, in order to ticket/tow/etc. from a legal standpoint, one is required to have posted specific language citing the ordinance, name and phone number of the towing company (not that we are talking about towing) etc. A simple sign such as what they have has no legal standings or enforcement. This has been discussed in other ICEing threads.

Well, the real tickets could be given, but legally cannot hold up. Parking tickets cannot be given on private property unless there is a specific ordinance, along with proper signage. I do not know of the former in RC (though I doubt it), but the latter is definitely not in place at any Tesla SC to date.

The only exception I know of, where ticketing is allowed on private property, is for handicapped spaces. I wonder how that law works, and if a similar law could be passed for EV's? I highly doubt it, as the EV lobbying efforts cannot come even close.

California allows private property owners to place signage and & TOW.

AB 475 amends Sections 22511 and 22511.5 of the Vehicle Code, relating to electric vehicles.

In pertinent part:

SECTION 1. Section 22511 of the Vehicle Code is amended to read:
22511. (a) A local authority, by ordinance or resolution, and a person in lawful possession of an offstreet parking facility may designate stalls or spaces in an offstreet parking facility owned or operated by that local authority or person for the exclusive purpose of charging and parking a vehicle that is connected for electric charging purposes. [PRIVATE PROPERTY OWNER "ISSUE" SOLVED]

(b) If posted in accordance with subdivision (d) or (e), the owner or person in lawful possession of a privately owned or operated offstreet parking facility, after notifying the police or sheriff’s department, may cause the removal of a vehicle from a stall or space designated pursuant to subdivision (a) in the facility to the nearest public garage if the vehicle is not connected for electric charging purposes. [TAKES CARE OF "CAN THEY TOW"]

(c) If posted in accordance with subdivision (d), the local authority owning or operating an offstreet parking facility, after notifying the police or sheriff’s department, may cause the removal of a vehicle from a stall or space designated pursuant to subdivision (a) in the facility to the nearest garage, as defined in Section 340, that is owned, leased, or approved for use by a public agency if the vehicle is not connected for electric charging purposes.
(d) The posting required for an offstreet parking facility owned or operated either privately or by a local authority shall consist of a sign not less than 17 by 22 inches in size with lettering not less than one inch in height that clearly and conspicuously states the following: “Unauthorized vehicles not connected for electric charging purposes will be towed away at owner’s expense. Towed vehicles may be reclaimed at
or by telephoning
(Address)
.”
(Telephone number of local law enforcement agency)
The sign shall be posted in either of the following locations:
(1) Immediately adjacent to, and visible from, the stall or space.
(2) In a conspicuous place at each entrance to the offstreet parking facility.
(e) If the parking facility is privately owned and public parking is prohibited by the posting of a sign meeting the requirements of paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) of Section 22658, the requirements of subdivision (b) may be met by the posting of a sign immediately adjacent to, and visible from, each stall or space indicating that a vehicle not meeting the requirements of subdivision (a) will be removed at the owner’s expense and containing the telephone number of the local traffic law enforcement agency.
(f) This section does not interfere with existing law governing the ability of local authorities to adopt ordinances related to parking programs within their jurisdiction, such as programs that provide free parking in metered areas or municipal garages for electric vehicles.Bill Text - AB-475 Vehicles: offstreet parking: electric vehicles.

image.jpg

As others have mentioned previously, looks like 2 electric vehicle stalls will be setup right next to the Tesla superchargers. Hopefully this will be a further deterrent to ICEing which hasn't been a problem the times I've been here

ClipperCreek 32 Amp EVSE

The 32 amp ClipperCreek EVSEs are functional at the Rancho Cucamonga location. In addition to giving power to all EV drivers, these EVSEs could be used by Tesla owners who plan on parking for hours. The most responsible usage is to only use the SuperCharger and move the vehicle as soon as charging is complete. As the second photo shows, noon on Sunday 3/8/15 was a very busy time.

ClipperCreek.jpg

RC SuperChargers.jpg

The 32 amp ClipperCreek EVSEs are functional at the Rancho Cucamonga location. In addition to giving power to all EV drivers, these EVSEs could be used by Tesla owners who plan on parking for hours. The most responsible usage is to only use the SuperCharger and move the vehicle as soon as charging is complete. As the second photo shows, noon on Sunday 3/8/15 was a very busy time.

Wow!

12 Supercharger stalls and 2 32-Amp EVSE stalls! That's pretty impressive.

A 277V to 240V buck, auto transformer to handle those 2 little 32A EVSE's only costs a few hundred dollars. I wonder if that is what Tesla installed and they are paying for the EVSE power as well. There does not seem to be any pay mechanism on those Clipper Creek units.

The polite thing for Tesla to have done would have been to make at least one of the J1772 EVSE's, 70 or 80 Amps to help out Roadsters.

The 32 amp ClipperCreek EVSEs are functional at the Rancho Cucamonga location. In addition to giving power to all EV drivers, these EVSEs could be used by Tesla owners who plan on parking for hours.
How are you supposed to do that when the sign clearly says that you can only park for 30 minutes in front of the L2 station? 30 minutes is totally inadequate for L2 stations - it's barely enough for the Supercharger slots with 10x the power.

In addition to giving power to all EV drivers, these EVSEs could be used by Tesla owners who plan on parking for hours.

There is absolutely no situation where this is appropriate behavior for a tesla owner. Or at least one who considers themselves a responsible EV owner.

For the very few times that we've individually been iced out of a supercharger stall and actually had to wait 5 minutes for one to open up, take that emotion (frustration, anger, betrayal, whatever) and multiply it by a few orders of magnitude. That's what a non-tesla EV owner is going to feel toward you when there's a dozen tesla only chargers literally right there and you instead decided to stuff them out of one of the only two "everyone else" chargers.

Has anyone on here been to this station lately? I've been here 5 times since picking up our P85D almost two weeks ago and have seen a few others occasionally...

Took my Tesla loaner here for some Blaze pizza and a charge a few weeks ago.

This will be my charging station of choice when my 70D arrives. Will use it weekly+ when I am home. Three of the golf courses I play are only a few miles away. I see a lot of pizza in my future :)

stopped at this Supercharger recently, after midnight so the mall was closed. but there's a gas station in the mall about a two-minute drive away in case you need bathrooms / snacks.

also fun note - though the mall was closed, the fake "city streets" of the mall still had music playing, which made it like walking through a shiny abandoned disneyland.

It was charing that fast because it was listening to Celine Dion Radio and a Josh Groban song.

I kid I kid!

Used this SC today after golf after forgetting to plug in last night. Funny enough there was a guy sleeping in his car while I was there.

Lol! I wonder about long term effect that would have on the body or the car?

Exposure to high electrical current over long period

And

Stressing the car cooling systems and battery to keep AC running while it is trying charge, esp on a hot day

Has anyone on here been to this station lately? I've been here 5 times since picking up our P85D almost two weeks ago and have seen a few others occasionally...
Nope, I drove from Barstow all the way to San Diego yesterday without needing to stop. On the way to Las Vegas last Friday (before the Cajon Pass was closed) my Trip planner said to stop in Rancho Cucamonga for a 0 minute charge. Needless to say, I didn't stop. I did stop once last month on the way back from Denver on a Friday night and even though the entire parking lot was full, none of the SC spots were ICEd nor were there any other Teslas charging!