Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger rate increase and cost of electricity in San Diego area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you can only switch plans once per year, but there’s no fee to change. This plan has only existed since mid-2018, and I don’t think the $16 fee has changed in that time.

The downside, if you have solar, is that the 9 cent super off peak rate extends into the afternoons on weekends, which reduces the value of solar.

This is where the powerwalls come into play. All solar charges the batteries on weekend mornings while I continue to run off the grid at the 9 cents. At 2 pm the house switches to running off the battery and sending solar to the grid for maximum payment/savings. Sadly, the batteries do tend to fill up before 2 pm so I do end up sending some to the grid at the cheap price. The big savings though are that I don't ue any power from the grid for the rest of the day -- through the semi-peak and peak times. All that is off batteries.

(Moderator note: the first 11 posts in this thread were moved from a thread in the California Supercharger forum because the discussion is about the the cost of charging at home vs. the cost of using Superchargers in the San Diego area after the recent Supercharger rate increase).

Worse than Carlsbad. That one is 31 cent. For a Model S that is 10.15 cent/mile or 8.23 cent/mile for a Model 3.
A Prius at 50 mpg and $3/gal costs 6 cent/mile.
My wife’s Lexus LS460 at 23 mpg and $ 3.1/gal costs 13.5 cent/mile.
Charging at home makes a huge difference at 12 cent/kWh.

If you don't like the price of the Superchargers, than just don't Supercharge.

Reactions: JeffnReno
This is where the powerwalls come into play. All solar charges the batteries on weekend mornings while I continue to run off the grid at the 9 cents. At 2 pm the house switches to running off the battery and sending solar to the grid for maximum payment/savings. Sadly, the batteries do tend to fill up before 2 pm so I do end up sending some to the grid at the cheap price. The big savings though are that I don't ue any power from the grid for the rest of the day -- through the semi-peak and peak times. All that is off batteries.

The problem is, Powerwalls are expensive, and not a good value proposition for me (and perhaps most people). With a power bill of a couple hundred dollars per year, I won't be able to recover the cost of two powerwalls in my lifetime! That assumes that my power bill says constant, of course, but I still pretty sure it will take a long time.

Although, the potential benefit of being able to tell the power company to go screw would be priceless!

Just switched over to TOU5, planning on adding solar this summer to the house we just bought in December at .09 super off peak it might not even be worth it to add ot. I was thinking if it would be more worthwhile to add a powerwall and use that during the day to offset cost. I can see sdge charging .54 for peak usage during the summer for solar customers and only crediting a nighttime kw at .09 if you go over net metered usage.

Just switched over to TOU5, planning on adding solar this summer to the house we just bought in December at .09 super off peak it might not even be worth it to add ot. I was thinking if it would be more worthwhile to add a powerwall and use that during the day to offset cost. I can see sdge charging .54 for peak usage during the summer for solar customers and only crediting a nighttime kw at .09 if you go over net metered usage.

Net metering is by time period. So excess solar generated during super off-peak is credited at 9 cents, while excess solar generated during summer on-peak will be credited at 54 cents. But at the end of your true-up period, if you still have excess generation (no more bill to offset), you get paid for the excess at the wholesale rate, which is only 3 cents or so.

Note, this is for NEM 1.0. You'll be on NEM 2.0, assuming you get solar this year, and then you will have non-bypassable charges for energy that you take from the grid which cannot be offset with solar. It still works basically the same, it's just those NBCs will be on your bill no matter how much excess solar you generate. The NBCs are something like 2 cents/kWh, as I recall.

There may be a better place to post this but since it relates to the cost of supercharging I will post it here.
Yesterday we returned from our annual vacation trip to Solana Beach from . This was the first trip there using our Model 3 and since there are no usable L2 chargers at or near the resort, we supercharged not only there and back but while we were there for the week. Each time we charged, we paid for the juice. Our entire trip cost us a total of $81.02 in charging fees and we drove a total of 1523 miles. I'm not counting the cost of charging at home when we left nor the charge when getting back to our house which we arrived with 53 miles left so I figure the starting and ending charges are a wash in total expense. If we had been driving our Rogue it would have cost quite a bit more but for comparison sake and to keep the math easy, I figure a vehicle averaging 30 mpg and paying $3 per gallon for gas would have paid about $152.30 driving the same miles. I know the start and ending mileage throws off the numbers somewhat and I also know that comparing a Prius at 50 mpg or maybe where you live and pay way less than $3 per gallon blah blah blah. The car drove 90% of those miles and gets better every day so put that in the equation and I'll take the Model 3 plus pay for the supercharging everytime.

I will add that we never had to wait to plug in and the longest we charged at any location was probably 40-50 minutes while eating lunch. The most we paid was $.31 kWh at the Target Black Mountain location which was 47 kWh for $14.57 while shopping.

$.31/kWh sure sounds expensive to me given that the average commercial electricity rate in San Diego is $.1351 per kWh. I have no idea what Tesla pays for electricity and I have no idea how much start-up and reoccurring costs are associated with operating a Supercharger lot, so perhaps the higher rate is adjusted for a particular ROI timeframe or based on demand. At this point in Tesla's financial situation, I hope they are making some money on Supercharging at this point.

While I estimate my 4.8kW solar array on NEM 1.0 and TOU-DA through SCE brings my electricity cost down to $.032/kWh, I did have to sink $11K into the array, EVSE line, and sub-panel. While my residential energy is cheap (at least until 2022), being about to Supercharge at 118kW is well worth the price of fast-charging; without it our cars would not be road-trip worthy. 10kWh is the fastest I can charge at home.

$.31/kWh sure sounds expensive to me given that the average commercial electricity rate in San Diego is $.1351 per kWh.

It seems you used Google with the search "San Diego commercial electricity rates" and read the first synopsis.

A little more digging yields this:

Standard Commercial and Industrial Rates | San Diego Gas & Electric

Which indicates nothing near the above number, and those are rates for "small" commercial users. A single Tesla vehicle supercharging would exceed the thresholds for all of the "small" categories, so it's likely greater than what is listed. I couldn't find anything specific about larger and/or higher demand customers.

It seems you used Google with the search "San Diego commercial electricity rates" and read the first synopsis.

A little more digging yields this:

Standard Commercial and Industrial Rates | San Diego Gas & Electric

Which indicates nothing near the above number, and those are rates for "small" commercial users. A single Tesla vehicle supercharging would exceed the thresholds for all of the "small" categories, so it's likely greater than what is listed. I couldn't find anything specific about larger and/or higher demand customers.

You got me. I looked at a few other sources too, but I can't believe the price of energy is that high. Now I see why SD residence and businesses were drawn to solar arrays.

I have a theory that the prices reflect a need to discourage supercharging at particular locations. The one in Sorrento Valley, for example, used to be packed. I just charged there and at $0.36/kWH, the charger wasn't even half-full.

Which I'm fine with. I was a on a road trip and it always sucks to have the superchargers packed with people who live nearby but use superchargers like a local gas station.

IMO, they should start filling parking lots with HPWC's for people who live locally but don't have access to a home charger.

• Funny
Reactions: takedownca