Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Regina, SK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it's cold up there, but surely this can't be true.

It's cold. Don't call me Shirley.

(Sorry, nobody took advantage of that line?) The problem is that there are "warm" spells and cold spells, for assorted versions of "warm". They average out, but it's not unusual to have a string of nights in the -30 to -40 (and lower) range on the prairies. I'm going to guess that the -30 rating means it will probably work acceptably to -45C, assuming the batteries actually get warm enough to charge. Can the non-heater process for warming batteries actually work for a Model 3 at those temps? Presumably if you are fresh off the highway like this point is intended to be used, maybe. I'd hate to think you parked for the night outdoors around the corner then decided to charge.

(Reminds me of the old bush pilot from the 1930's interviewed on CBC radio. He said they'd fly into remote communities on skis, when they landed they ran around to the engine and drained the oil into the snow. When it was time to take off next morning, they'd dig around in the snow, find the puddle of oil, roll it up and take it inside and boil it in a pot on the woodstove. Pour that into the engine and you had 5 minutes where the engine was warm enough to start.)

It's cold. Don't call me Shirley.
(Reminds me of the old bush pilot from the 1930's interviewed on CBC radio. He said they'd fly into remote communities on skis, when they landed they ran around to the engine and drained the oil into the snow. When it was time to take off next morning, they'd dig around in the snow, find the puddle of oil, roll it up and take it inside and boil it in a pot on the woodstove. Pour that into the engine and you had 5 minutes where the engine was warm enough to start.)
And he checked on his dog, who was outside over night. The dog was stuck to a tree with his hind leg in the air.

And his cousin went for a walk in the woods. He had to relieve himself on a tree, had to walk backwards from the tree.

No, this was an actual interview with a bush pilot from the 1930's. (in the 1980's). I guess that synthetic oil wasn't a thing back then, and bush destinations didn't have electric heaters.

But to add to the fun stories -
"In northern Canada during the summer it gets hot enough that the ice is warm to the touch."

I think it was actually a Paul Bunyan story that it got so cold one time, that the words froze as they came out of their mouths and they had to heat them in a frying pan to hear what the other guy said.

But of course, the ultimate story is The Cremation of Sam McGee.

I'd hate to think you parked for the night outdoors around the corner then decided to charge.
This is a bad idea even at much warmer temperatures. I once stayed the night in Klamath Falls, OR and it was late and the supercharger was on the far side of town from the hotel so I just checked in and supercharged in the morning. The low temp that night was maybe -10C at the worst and it was above freezing when I plugged in in the morning and that supercharging session took like 90 minutes instead of 30 due to the battery being cold.

So definitely don't do something like this if it's 40 below lol. Presumably at those temps, drivers will naturally be more cautious with their driving and charging habits. I'm sure Tesla would like to idiot-proof for such situations, but I don't think the technology is there right now.

Anyone know what the holdup is with turning these on? (or Davidson or Moose Jaw or Whitewood or Swift Current). Throw us a fricken bone Elon, you've been saying "coming soon" since 2016...
A Tesla tech has to come onsite to inspect and activate them. I expect they’re waiting until all of the chargers across the country are done so they can do a single (or maybe two) trips across the country activating them as they go. It’s not terribly efficient to jump around on the map bypassing ones that aren’t ready and coming back to them later. There’s still a good number of chargers under active construction.

Anyone know what the holdup is with turning these on? (or Davidson or Moose Jaw or Whitewood or Swift Current). Throw us a fricken bone Elon, you've been saying "coming soon" since 2016...

My assumptions are that:
1) Because the TCH installations are Supercharger Version 3 (which has limited open sites) and because Winter Is Coming, Tesla won't want to rush things. I wouldn't be surprised if many openings are deferred to spring.
2) Tesla prefers to avoid "islands", wanting to open Superchargers that extend the current network.
3) Tesla prefers to open whole strings of Superchargers that complete connections from between population centers and important destinations.

(2) and (3) not only means that each opening has higher value to the network, it has the practical benefit that their technicians can easily drive Teslas and go from Supercharger to Supercharger. We saw this in both New Brunswick and Maine, where 3 Superchargers were commissioned within 2 days.

Break things down, West to East:
1) Calgary, AB to Medicine Hat, AB
2) Medicine Hat, AB to Regina, SK
3) Regina, SK to Brandon, MB
3a) Regina, SK to Saskatoon, SK
4) Brandon, MB to Winnipeg, MB
5) Winnipeg, MB to Thunder Bay, ON
5a) Winnipeg, MB to Clearwater, MN
6) Thunder Bay, ON to Sault Ste Marie, ON
7) Sault Ste Marie, ON to Sudbury, ON
8) Sudbury, ON to Ottawa, ON

I think it's likely that the two Superchargers between Sudbury, ON to Ottawa, ON (North Bay, ON and Deep River, ON) will open first.
Then, along with Mackinaw, MI, Sault Ste Marie, ON to Sudbury, ON would make another connection.
Since there's no known construction between Fargo, ND and Winnipeg, MB, I think Tesla would then work east from Calgary, AB to Medicine Hat, AB and beyond.
But, as I noted above, Tesla might be planning to leave a lot of the work until spring. Since they've done all the groundwork, they wouldn't have to wait for a thaw, they'd just be waiting for the worst of the weather to break so the technician wouldn't be impeded by weather.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Since there's no known construction between Fargo, ND and Winnipeg, MB

I am pretty sure that Grand Forks is under construction. The Winnipeg > Grand Forks > Fargo > Alexandria and I 90/94 route (east & West) in North Dakota are all pretty important to Manitobans, at least to this Manitoban. :D
But given that all the Super Chargers in Saskatchewan and Alberta are complete and Portage & Prawda are complete, that only leaves Winnipeg, which is being worked on currently and Brandon to complete the TCH #1,#5 from the Ontario border to the Pacific ocean in Canada. Not sure how many Super Charger sites are completed in Ontario, but I think most of them along TCH #17 are completed.
It would be a shame to not turn them on before Christmas or even US Thanksgiving.

I wonder what will come first, Regina’s grand opening or snow...View attachment 466599
Snow it is... :p
779C5400-CAD5-46DF-8568-4D7CCDFDA7DA.jpeg

Photo from Twitter