Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger- Richmond, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is off topic, but I want to spread the word. Do NOT upgrade to the V9.0 software on the Model S or Model X if you use the center screen split screen functionality. If you use the back-up cam and media controls at the same time this is no longer possible and they have removed this functionality. Just FYI to owners.

I love that two third of the discussion is about the name of the town and not the status of construction or readiness :rolleyes:
Me too! Can't believe 1 out of 3 comments are trying to stay on the thread topic - typically you don't see this kind of focus here!

Maybe if we try hard enough, we might even be able to make it 1 out of 2 comments being related to the thread topic! A TMC first! :p

Concrete demo underway...

Pipe for ballards and UG conduit onsite.

This is the same crew as Northwest Hou

Attachments

• 20181010_124606.jpg
    20181010_124606.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 20181010_124705.jpg
    20181010_124705.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
SC'ing at the Rudy's @ 290 / BW8 and ran into corporate folks here. Chatted with them about how Rudy's views the SCs and what other locations are in the pipeline.

Indicated they're, that is Rudy's corporate, is happy so far. Rudy's does pay a portion of the electrical usage (did not realize that) but considering the traffic it drives...no pun intended...they're coming out ahead.

Webster / Clear Lake area - Google Maps and Oklahoma City (not sure which one) are currently in the pipeline.

Asked if the Rudy's in Katy (Mason & I-10) was as well as was told no on account of the location's small parking lot.

Webster / Clear Lake area - Google Maps and Oklahoma City (not sure which one) are currently in the pipeline.
This is interesting as neither of those have Grey Pins on Tesla's site map. Nothing closer to Webster than the one downtown Houston, and OKC already has one SC on the West side.

Did they give any idea about timeline?

Does this warrant starting a "Webster" thread with this info here on the TX Superchargers sub?

SC'ing at the Rudy's @ 290 / BW8 and ran into corporate folks here. Chatted with them about how Rudy's views the SCs and what other locations are in the pipeline.

Indicated they're, that is Rudy's corporate, is happy so far. Rudy's does pay a portion of the electrical usage (did not realize that) but considering the traffic it drives...no pun intended...they're coming out ahead.

Asked if the Rudy's in Katy (Mason & I-10) was as well as was told no on account of the location's small parking lot.
Interesting, just drove the Katy parking lot and came away with the opposite opinion.. but it was off peak time, so maybe.

Did they give any idea about timeline?
Did not, but I forgot to ask. They also mentioned that the Greatwood/Sugarland/get-a-life-and-stop-arguing-about-the-"correct"-city Rudy's SC was going to be okayed. Of course we know that construction is underway, indicating lag between the guys I was talking to and what'a happening on the ground. In hindsight I should have asked about their roles in Rudy's but as they were already working and I interrupted them, I was wary about drawing out our chat for too long.

Does this warrant starting a "Webster" thread with this info here on the TX Superchargers sub?
I'd vote for yes.

Richmond has about 130 parking spaces
Katy has about 100
Northwest is about the same as Richmond....so that information is unfortunately correct.
I'm at Fry and I-10 on the westside of Houston and was eagerly awaiting a SC at "my" Rudy's...best laid plans, I guess.

Regardless of how I feel, the Rudy execs struck me as being highly attuned to parking. Parking was the first thing they mentioned when I asked how they liked the SC at 290 / BW8 (i.e. we like it, we were a bit worried about parking at first but think we'll manage) and suspect lot size is the, or one of the, major factors into deciding if a location will or will not have a SC.

Richmond has about 130 parking spaces
Katy has about 100
Northwest is about the same as Richmond....so that information is unfortunately correct.
If that is critical then if you look at the satellite photos of the two OKC area locations it seems pretty which they are targeting. The Norman one to the South is cramped, already has a Conoco on the property, and they appear to be sharing their lot with a liquor store.

No One Ever Asked:
How many parking spaces do the Gas Pumps displace? All the Rudy’s locations used to have gas pumps because quaintness and the original location.
I'd be extremely surprised if it wasn't asked. As you say, they used to have gas pumps. Some still do but it's becoming vestigial and I wouldn't be surprised if Corpus Christi etc eventually did away with them at some point. My recollection is they had pumps at the Spring location but have removed them, for example. I don't know if they have them at any new locations they've added in some time?

No One Ever Asked:
How many parking spaces do the Gas Pumps displace? All the Rudy’s locations used to have gas pumps because quaintness and the original location.
Rudy's is in business for Rudy's. Not for Tesla. Not for sustainable transport or any other "moral imperatives" Tesla owners drape themselves in and expect the rest of the world to follow their lead.

Rudy's is interested in what drives business to them.

Be it gas. Be it Tesla SCs. Be it [insert whatever here]. Take a page from Elon's book and realize you must appeal to the people and companies you need not by a "higher" goal (i.e. save the planet or whatever mindless BS people are spouting nowadays). In Rudy's case the argument is something akin to: if we pay [ $cost ] per store per month, we'll get [ $direct ] tangible benefit + [ $intangible ] intangible benefit. If $direct + $intangible are greater than $cost by an acceptable level, we'll go through with the project.

If they've got the data to back up gas pumps drive sales, then more power to them AND a tip of the had for being willing to think outside the box and consider Tesla SCs even though they could have just gone with gas.