Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Riverside, CA (LIVE 28 Dec 2017, 24 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked to a contractor today (Monday night) who said they are working tonight then not returning until January and it will be complete early next year . No info on how the parking fees will work for Tesla owners
Glad to see great progress since Thanksgiving, including many cables in conduits, showing that this contractor's statement was not accurate.

My Nov 21 picture shows substantial underground vault being dug at street level. Is this done? Will main transformer be mounted in this vault or at street level? 2 MW transformers are quite large, heavy. Most likely it will be the last thing to be installed, since it has to be ordered by the utility. I believe Riverside has its own municipal utility, so that actually might speed things up. That was the case at Rancho Cucamonga Victoria Gardens SC.

I hope to stop by on Tuesday.

Today Wednesday crew of 5 or 6 busy pulling cable, connecting charger cabinets. Main HV transformer is installed above ground at street level and underground vault done. Thank you Riverside electric utility.
When I asked crew boss when he expected to be done, he said "midnight tonight." Of course local inspection must approve and then Tesla can activate.

Urban Style Superchargers.
Install virtually anywhere.
DC to DC.
of course this by-passes our Tesla’s onboard charger(s).

if we can purchase powerpack(s) for our homes (charge the powerpack(s) with solar, of course)

.... could we then install an Urban Supercharger in our home?
... have it bypass the DC to AC inverter in the powerpack(s) while we DC to DC supercharge?

..... at home!

.......... oops..... drifted into the future for a sec.

This is such a great thread, guys. I'm headed from SD to Redlands on Christmas Day and this would be a great option if they get it activated before then. Certainly won't be the more entertaining charge being everything in the area will be closed and we'll be hanging out on a concrete rooftop deck. . . Maybe I'll bring a frisbee and me and the GF can toss it around for 20 mins while we top off to ensure we get back to SD alright.

Hopefully they get it open!

Reactions: cybergates
This is such a great thread, guys. I'm headed from SD to Redlands on Christmas Day and this would be a great option if they get it activated before then. Certainly won't be the more entertaining charge being everything in the area will be closed and we'll be hanging out on a concrete rooftop deck. . . Maybe I'll bring a frisbee and me and the GF can toss it around for 20 mins while we top off to ensure we get back to SD alright.

Hopefully they get it open!

What are you driving? If this isn't open in time (it probably won't be) you can just use Temecula. Not ideal, but your next Redlands trip should have a Lake Elsinore and Riverside option!

Urban Style Superchargers.
Install virtually anywhere.
DC to DC.
of course this by-passes our Tesla’s onboard charger(s).

if we can purchase powerpack(s) for our homes (charge the powerpack(s) with solar, of course)

.... could we then install an Urban Supercharger in our home?
... have it bypass the DC to AC inverter in the powerpack(s) while we DC to DC supercharge?

..... at home!

.......... oops..... drifted into the future for a sec.
The only real difference between Urban SC and traditional SC is that the latter dynamically allocates its 135 kW between two hoses, while the Urban models allocate a constant half of their power to each hose. The traditional SC works great when the site is less than 50% loaded, so that most folks get a Primary hose.
Both types are designed to accept 440V 3-phase AC power, 277V phase to neutral, which is not available to residences in the US. They actually use 12 of the same single-phase inverters as the cars, 4 per phase.
Yes, DC to DC from solar panel or Powerwall into car could be more efficient, but that is more difficult to implement, and most of the time the power from the solar would not be enough to charge the car. The voltages of the car, Powerwall, and solar strings would all be different. The Powerwall 2 for home use is designed to work with conventional grid-tied solar inverters using AC, not DC, coupling to both the car and the solar system.

20171220_132907.jpg

Previous post shows photo taken Wednesday of installed transformer. Sorry about duplicate. Some past installs have had long waits after construction was done for the utility to install the transformer, so I am glad to see that step already completed here.

What are you driving? If this isn't open in time (it probably won't be) you can just use Temecula. Not ideal, but your next Redlands trip should have a Lake Elsinore and Riverside option!

I'll be in the Model S 60. If this gets open I should be able to leave SD full, get to Redlands for the dinner and then make the same-day turn and charge that evening on the way home. Then obviously make it all the way easily. It's getting down to the wire so looks like stopping in Temecula once in each direction will be in my future o_O