Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sagamore Beach, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Ed's side of the story is all that matters since he has the power to turn the Supercharger on. Let's hope this is resolved quickly.

someone needs to get "Ed" a coke and a hug. The alternative is Tesla calling the governers office and putting pressure on the town of Sagamore (which could result in Ed losing his job because of his attutude). This is truly embarassing for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

This going to take months...

I think Ed's side of the story is all that matters since he has the power to turn the Supercharger on. Let's hope this is resolved quickly.

Don't piss off the electrical inspector... Tesla seems to be partially at fault here for hiring a not so honest electrical contractor, that claimed to have a license. IMO, somebody needs to grease a palm or two to get this resolved.:wink:

He is arguing there is a master electrical license issue with the Sagamore Tesla Supercharger during the construction; hence, he will not sign-off on the project.

Due to the nature of constructing a supercharger station (basically Tesla is the only one building something like this), the contractor is most likely from out of state and does not have a Massachusetts Master Electricians License. I spoke with someone at the site months ago now who said he traveled to install the superchargers. Is work required to be performed by a MA licensed electrician or does it just have to pass inspection? Let's assume it just needs to pass inspection...a lot is buried and out of site, making it impossible to inspect.

He appeared quite annoyed he was not consulted or informed before the Sagamore Tesla Supercharger was built.

I was able to inspect the site frequently and take many photos. I also attended the town meeting where the Supercharger was initially discussed. Does he want a link to this thread? Also, I would think getting a permit valued at $2,000,000 would have to be approved by someone in the department.

Frankly, I believe he concerned about being the first town on having the Supercharger.

What exactly does this mean? Is he going to wait until another site in Massachusetts is completed? Why does this matter?

Due to the nature of constructing a supercharger station (basically Tesla is the only one building something like this), the contractor is most likely from out of state and does not have a Massachusetts Master Electricians License. I spoke with someone at the site months ago now who said he traveled to install the superchargers. Is work required to be performed by a MA licensed electrician or does it just have to pass inspection? Let's assume it just needs to pass inspection...a lot is buried and out of site, making it impossible to inspect.

Usually Tesla contracts out the build out to main contractor who hires a foreman that does travel. But I thought usually the electrical work is done by a local subcontractor specifically due to these kinds of issues.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Tesla has there own master electricians.
2. Ed wanted the master electrician to be sub-contracted out.
3. Tesla hired a construction firm under 'TESLA's” master electrician license.
4. Ed feels that Tesla should of hired a separate company with its own master electrician's license.

Keep in mind, Tesla may be legally correct; however, the electrical inspector has some leeway.

I recommend the members of the Tesla Motors Club group should email the Selectmen to help broker a solution to the problem and get this station running soon:

Board of Selectmen

Let's email all the Selectmen explaining the commercial benefits of this station....

Stephen Mealy Selectman 2016 [email protected]
Donald Ellis Member 2016 [email protected]
Peter Meier Chairman 2016 [email protected]
Donald Pickard Vice-Chairman 2015 [email protected]
Linda Zuern Member 2015 [email protected]

I am not an electrician, but I have friends who are. This is how I remember the laws in MA work.

Electrician licensing in MA is a bit different than most states. IIRC, the Journeyman license allows you to do electrical work. A Master license allows you to hire a crew (over 2, IIRC) to work under your watch.

Unlike most states, the Master license is not a superset of the Journeyman's license. If someone holds both, and then lets their Journeyman license lapse, they can hire and direct others, but can't "pick up a screwdriver."

For instance, the company that did my solar installation has one Master electrician on staff (one of the founders). The installation crews are Journeyman electricians and apprentices.

I suppose the contractor Tesla hired didn't have a proper Master license, although I can't see why that wouldn't come up when they pulled the permit.

Sending drugs to public officials is generally frowned upon ... Marion Barry in DC being the notable exception:tongue:

coke, as in coca-cola, not drugs. This inspector managed to miss the entire construction on the site?
I find that hard to believe, there where articles in all of the local newspapers, selectman meetings etc.
Does he expect Tesla to tear up the site, so he can get his sorry ass out to look at some conduits?

Last edited:
Anyone care to speculate that Ed's role as the town's electrical inspector is very much part time, and that most of his income comes from doing higher-end electrical installations in Bourne?

I know here in my town in Maine (summer place), the Code Enforcement Officer charged with enforcing laws about (inter alia​) what trees can be cleared from shore areas is also the primary arborist whom one would hire to do such work. Hmmm...

Anyone care to speculate that Ed's role as the town's electrical inspector is very much part time, and that most of his income comes from doing higher-end electrical installations in Bourne?

I know here in my town in Maine (summer place), the Code Enforcement Officer charged with enforcing laws about (inter alia​) what trees can be cleared from shore areas is also the primary arborist whom one would hire to do such work. Hmmm...

He does have both of his licenses:

http://license.reg.state.ma.us/publ...state=&zip=02532&querytype=personal&color=red

So if someone performed the work who was not licensed in MA, how does this get resolved?

- - - Updated - - -

Ed is a part time inspector.
What's bugs me still, why were all the other inspections fine at the Sagamore Supercharger site?
Finally inspection comes and now there is a problem.

Ed had some more to say which I'm not posting...

Oh come on, you can't drop a line like that and not explain...