Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the S is just as wide as the X. But yeah it looks way too narrow. Even before seeing the pic with the 2 X's charging, I could tell it was too narrow. I think they should scrap it and put it somewhere else. I can't even imagine when this supercharger is full trying to back into the last stall. You'll have to maneuver between cars on both sides while also watching out for your front bumper as you back in. Just a horrible design.

Absolutely agreed. No way in hell will I ever try using this during the day if it ends up getting busy. I can’t even imagine how a queue would work if it ever gets as busy as Qualcomm. This is definitely a late night charge spot for me only.

20180630_193203.jpg

Also, I feel like people should just try to back up as much as they can against the wall so that way they don't impede traffic nor risk their cars getting hit by other drivers.

I think the S is just as wide as the X.
The X is wider (and longer, and taller).

Tesla’s website states the S is 86.2” wide and 77.3” with mirrors folded.

X is 89.4” wide and 81.5” with mirrors folded.

So the X is about 3-4” wider. Which I find noticeable when trying to park in a narrow space (I have also owned an S).

Auto Park could prove useful at this Supercharger location. I don’t know if I will ever have a reason to use it, but it does sound challenging.

Who is going to be the first to try out Auto Park in a charging stall here? :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I feel like people should just try to back up as much as they can against the wall so that way they don't impede traffic nor risk their cars getting hit by other drivers.
Agreed. In your photo, it appears the white X could have gone back at least another foot.

People need to learn trust their parking sensors and get closer to objects. For thin/narrow objects that are over a 1/2” or so I find the parking sensors are very accurate. I’ve parked very close to objects and then got out and measured my distance to them. It is usually within an inch of what the car display shows.

From the start of Model S production, parking sensors were an option, in mid 2014 they became part of the Tech Package option, then in 2015 they became standard. They have always been standard on the X.

Use your parking sensors, trust them, and back all the way into these charging stalls to keep the parking row lane open.

Last edited:
Agreed. In your photo, it appears the white X could have gone back at least another foot.

People need to learn trust their parking sensors and get closer to objects. For thin/narrow objects that are over a 1/2” or so I find the parking sensors are very accurate. I’ve parked very close to objects and then got out and measured my distance to them. It is usually within an inch of what the car display shows.

From the start of Model S production, parking sensors were an option, in mid 2014 they became part of the Tech Package option, then in 2015 they became standard. They have always been standard on the X.

Use your parking sensors, trust them, and back all the way into these charging stalls to keep the parking row lane open.

This is where a 360°/top view of the car would be very useful when parking. I wonder if the AP2's cameras are capable of that

This is where a 360°/top view of the car would be very useful when parking. I wonder if the AP2's cameras are capable of that
I don’t know, but given the accuracy of the parking sensors in displaying correct distances from objects, I don’t need a visual image that doesn’t give me distance data. I have what I need with the parking sensors. You are welcome to disagree. :)

Reactions: Graffi
A lot of superchargers have rubber wheel stops, which make it easy to back up just the right amount. Looks like they need those here.
Oddly, during construction there was a full set of parking stops in the parking spaces.....once they got hooked up the crews removed the stops and painted the lines. The stops never returned, but on a hopeful note, perhaps they are just being stored in a back room and will be replaced.

This supercharger is a joke! $20 for 250 miles is absurd.... What idiot at TESLA thought this would be a good idea? Especially if there is a line... I need to pay $2 every 15 min until a spot opens up? Absolutely ridiculous.....

That's 8 cents per mile. Regular gasoline in San Diego was averaging $3.74 per gallon back in May, putting you at parity with a 46.75 MPG regular gasoline vehicle, which is Toyota Prius territory. While I agree that EVs should generally be cheaper to run than gas cars, it's important to remember that we're comparing full-size luxury(ish) electric vehicles to mid-size economy fossil vehicles.

That's 8 cents per mile. Regular gasoline in San Diego was averaging $3.74 per gallon back in May, putting you at parity with a 46.75 MPG regular gasoline vehicle, which is Toyota Prius territory. While I agree that EVs should generally be cheaper to run than gas cars, it's important to remember that we're comparing full-size luxury(ish) electric vehicles to mid-size economy fossil vehicles.

I’m not comparing it to an Ice... I’m comparing it to other Tesla superchargers..... just because I’m paying the same rate as a 25k Prius for my $65k TESLA doesn’t make it ok by any means. I bought a Tesla because it was an EV, I love thE forward thinking of the brand and the updates, and also it’s almost FREE.... if I’m expected to pay $20 for 250 miles of range then why did I buy an EV.....

Also... I highly doubt that on Tesla’s website that the ‘gas savings’ is calculated with an additonal $8/hour for parking....

On a brighter note... I’m at Qualcomm now and it’s maybe 50% full. :)

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Not to mention that electricity is absurdly expensive, here. I pay $0.22/kWh to charge at home in the middle of the night, but it goes as high as $0.54. So for 60kWh (figuring that's about 250 miles for a Model 3), that's $13-$32, depending on the time of day. $20 doesn't seem outrageous, especially because it includes parking downtown, which isn't normally free.

I’m not comparing it to an Ice... I’m comparing it to other Tesla superchargers..... just because I’m paying the same rate as a 25k Prius for my $65k TESLA doesn’t make it ok by any means. I bought a Tesla because it was an EV, I love thE forward thinking of the brand and the updates, and also it’s almost FREE.... if I’m expected to pay $20 for 250 miles of range then why did I buy an EV.....

Also... I highly doubt that on Tesla’s website that the ‘gas savings’ is calculated with an additonal $8/hour for parking....

On a brighter note... I’m at Qualcomm now and it’s maybe 50% full. :)

I don't know about you, but cost per mile is only one of several reasons why I drive EVs. Even at parity to the most efficient fossils, there are numerous other perks to EV ownership.

Anecdote from a Model X owner friend, who is not on the forums (I believe this was Sunday afternoon):

Pro-tip: beware the San Diego downtown supercharger if you plan a trip here, at least for the near future.
Car nav said "24/7, fees apply", so I wouldn't have been surprised (though still not happy) to pay $5-10 for parking. But it was all closed up when I got here, had to go through two hours of phone calls and waiting to get in, and then on to of that it's $10 for the first hour and $2 each 15min after that (up to some daily $ cap I didn't reach?)
It's only been open since Wednesday, though, so hopefully the 24/7 part gets fixed soon, and maybe even the garage cost
But for now, :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
I'd have much preferred the 30 minute drive out to the Qualcomm charger -- even if I had to wait an hour for a stall once there -- had I known what I was getting into here

I'm going to need this supercharger for a vacation next summer (staying for a week close to SeaWorld at a place without charging), so hopefully the 24/7 access is resolved. Or... I may just rely on CHaDeMO at these parking rates.

I stopped by this afternoon around 2pm while driving home from the Gaslamp. Had no trouble finding the place thanks to the photos and descriptions posted here.

As others have reported, the nav status display was inaccurate. The place was practically deserted and mine was the only car actively charging. One other spot was occupied by a disconnected Tesla, and it left during the 10 minutes I was there. I left before 15 minutes so I wasn't charged for parking.