Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dang. I have a day trip to the Sorrento Valley/Mesa area (visiting Qualcomm) tomorrow and was hoping for a miracle. Sigh. I'll be patient with the SJC situation as always, and of course stop by the Qualcomm site to see for myself. If there's anything interesting I'll take some ground-level pics. Of course if there is anything VERY interesting, we'll all be scooped by markb1 from his bird's eye view. :smile:

Thank you Markb1 for the updated info and steps necessary! It would seem logical for Tesla to at least turn in on and at least test it and make sure it is all good to go even if the area is going to be closed for a little while longer but I guess we may be looking into June before this site opens and even that is not for sure!

The parking lot got a slurry seal yesterday, covering up the previous paint. It's being striped today. The ADA space has been moved very slightly, but the blue and white hatched area is still blocking a connector.

I did talk to the guy who seemed to be in charge, and from the looks of it, that has kicked off a discussion. But apparently it's being done per plans, which were approved by Tesla! It's not an easy thing to fix, because the space at the end, where it looks like the ADA space belongs, has too much slope for that purpose.

Also, I found out that the painting of the ADA spaces before the slurry seal was not a mistake, but rather intentional, to meet permit requirement for the adjacent building. (The lot has been closed to the public the whole time, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But this is the city bureaucracy that we're talking about.)

It sure will be interesting to see how the HC spot & walkway turn out once this is finished. Although from the photos it is hard to see the slope mentioned. I just can't see how any other parking stall, other than the one on the far left in post 221 will work for the handicap stall?? ..... and that stall would require some curving of the walkway:wink:.

It sure will be interesting to see how the HC spot & walkway turn out once this is finished. Although from the photos it is hard to see the slope mentioned. I just can't see how any other parking stall, other than the one on the far left in post 221 will work for the handicap stall?? ..... and that stall would require some curving of the walkway:wink:.

The slope is definitely apparent when standing in the lot. The ADA space is at a high point, and flat. The lot slopes down from the ADA space on either side. It's a gentle slope, but I don't have any idea what the threshold is. It might come down to moving the charging pedestal, which would suck.

Since the ADA space cannot be moved, it would seem that moving the pathway-blocked arch to the left (or
fitting it with a longer cable), would be required to make the second to the leftmost space usable for charging.

Presumably the reconstruction could be done after the Superchargers open for use, but they are more likely
to do the work, probably in just a day or two, before it is opened to the public.

However, this solution still leaves the pathway on the passenger side of the backed in ADA vehicle.
Perhaps there is no provision in the regulations for a backed-in ADA space.

In any case, the slurry coating is progress, and likely pavement painting will follow.

Latest picture from today courtesy of Mark.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1432184329.858019.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1432184329.858019.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 415
Perhaps there is no provision in the regulations for a backed-in ADA space.

I believe the regulations allow the buffer to be on either side of the parking space, since some ADA spaces share a buffer in between. Normally, a driver of a car with a placard would choose which way to pull in based on their needs. Obviously, with the charging cable, it's a little different.

They're going to have to move that one pedestal over the full width of the hatched walkway. I don't think it's possible to park legally and use it.

I have an alternate idea. Move the ADA space along with one charging pedestal across the aisle, to where the "electric vehicle only" spaces are. This would be right next to the supercharger cabinets, so there would be minimal trenching, and no need to tear up the parking lot. This would allow the charging stalls on the right side to be made a little wider, also. The only issue I can think of is that the blue and white hatched area would be on the passenger side of the ADA parking space, unless they do some more intensive renovation.

All they need to do is to make the HC space the far left space and move the hatched area one full parking space to the left (so the left line of the hatched area is even with the leftmost supercharger). The hatched area would need to angle slightly across the driving area so it will line up to the near side. The next two charging spots would be regular stalls and they would need to repaint those two lines white (and remove the existing hatched area). The second leftmost Tesla parking sign should also be moved a bit to the right to line up with the middle of the second leftmost charging stall. Also I wonder why they labeled "ELECTRIC VEHICLE ONLY" across from the charging stalls. You would think they would label all the charging stalls that way and not the ones across from them.

All they need to do is to make the HC space the far left space and move the hatched area one full parking space to the left (so the left line of the hatched area is even with the leftmost supercharger). The hatched area would need to angle slightly across the driving area so it will line up to the near side. The next two charging spots would be regular stalls and they would need to repaint those two lines white (and remove the existing hatched area). The second leftmost Tesla parking sign should also be moved a bit to the right to line up with the middle of the second leftmost charging stall. Also I wonder why they labeled "ELECTRIC VEHICLE ONLY" across from the charging stalls. You would think they would label all the charging stalls that way and not the ones across from them.

That won't work, if the slope is too much in that area of the lot, which is what was indicated to me by someone at the site, today.

Ok, I see. I guess they could move the second most leftmost supercharger to the left a few feet to line up with the left blue line of the hatched area. Also move the second most leftmost sign to the left a couple of feet to be centered in that stall.

This may be a very stupid idea but what If Tesla attached a longer charging cable to the second stall from the left and moved the ADA space to second space from left instead of third! Then a car with disabled placard can back into second space from left, and plug into the second charger with longer cable and still have their driver door next to the stripped lines in order to have lots of room to get out of the car! Problem solved! So, just a longer charging cable for the second stand from left and moving the ADA space to left by one space, solves all the issues here. Is that not logical?